Author Topic: VOTC display idea, need your help!  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
VOTC display idea, need your help!
« on: September 5, 2004, 11:20 PM »
Reading around the web on the VOTC.  Nothing too startling or revelationary really, nothing I haven't seen before.  But it got me thinking (yes, that is smoke, why?) - I need a cool way to display these things.  My current figure displays suck, at least until I get risers so the figures in back aren't completely obscured.

So here's what I'm thinking and what I need:
I just got my (second) vintage display stand in the mail this week.  It's in decent shape, but I bought it more for the card back than anything else, as I already had a good base with a good sticker, but no cardboard back.  Now I bought one with a pretty nice cardboard, the plastic is fine, but the name tag strip has a few (significant) flaws.  Big enough that no one is likely to buy it from me on ebay, so I either keep it or toss it. 

Given that the display holds 12 figures, I'm thinking of using the second plastic piece for displaying the VOTC.  I'll need to do up a vintage styled name sticker/plate, that should be easy enough.  But I'd like to get a different backing for it, to differentiate it from the true vintage stuff.  So basically, I'm looking for suggestions for the background here. 

Also wondering if anyone thinks this is a good idea, or just plain goofy.  It is contingent on finding my second full set of VOTC figs (when IS BBTS.com going to ship???) to open and display.  I don't want to go out and pick up Ben and Han again, so many are sitting out there, I think they may clearance at some point, but Luke is a different story, so too is Leia, at least at the moment.  The later figures of course are just beginning to show up. 

Also, anyone have any idea of whether the VOTC have peg holes that fit the vintage display?  I refuse to open what I have now (Han, Ben, Luke, Leia, Vader, Yoda) since I don't know what my BBTS shipped versions will be like in terms of quality.  I was pretty selective in choosing these (except Vader, only one on the pegs, but still nice), so I'll opt to see if these are indeed the better cases.

One thing I was thinking is if I could somehow get three, horizontal poster shots, one for each movie, to put in the background - ANH/ESB/ROTJ - and see how that looked, but most posters I know of are vertical in orientation.  Open to other suggestions though.  Just don't want a duplication of the original.  Superstar Destroyer closing in on Falcon?  I dunno.  :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: VOTC display idea, need your help!
« Reply #1 on: September 5, 2004, 11:56 PM »
using the vintage stand is a really cool idea. one slight problem - as you asked already, the holes in the feet of the votc figures are the same size as the modern potf2 line. they will not fit on the vintage pegs.  would have been too perfect :'(

as for background ideas... hmmm. you could get some smaller logos from the vintage cardbacks - sw, esb, rotj, and potf - and then do something with those on the background... maybe even incorporate the vintage posters in there as well....  i'm sure you'll come up with something.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: September 6, 2004, 01:17 AM »
For the back, I think a cardback or title type thing that fills the back would be neat...  Like a blank SW card template, a blank ESB card template, and a blank ROTJ card template for the 4 figures from each line.

And like Dave confirmed, the pegholes are different, but nab yourself some nail files (disposeable) while waiting in line or when you're in Wal-Mart some time, and just file them down.  They're oversized, not under, so at least you can sand them smaller.  Just be careful, take your time, etc...

The cardback thing would be easy enough to do if you wanted.  Folks at FFURG or in the customizing area here will help you I'm sure.  I'm not a carder myself, but I'm sure I can aim people at it if you do wind up needing any help at any point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 6, 2004, 02:56 AM »
Could you not use the modern Protech black or clear stands on the display? I have only the vintage ones & they fit the openings but they are a little thinker, could be shaved down & repainted to match the stand.

They will not turn on the stand as the bottom is flush, maybe you cam modify the bottom of the Protech stands for that if you want.

As for a background, maybe having the silver edging go around the board with Star Wars, ESB & ROTJ logos on the top edge. Maybe add scenes of each figure to the background.