Author Topic: Vehicle discussion/speculation!  (Read 37332 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Vehicle discussion/speculation!
« on: February 15, 2004, 09:05 AM »
So,do you guys think the Sandcrawler will be part of this line?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

SilverZ

Re: Vehicle discussion/speculation!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 06:55 PM »
I have a feeling that the DVD announcement will motivate retailers to take on exclusives again this year. I'd certainly hope that the Sandcrawler would make it, it's about its best shot as it'll ever have. The only concern I could see is that there's going to be a big-ticket vehicle hogging a LOT of shelf space already (the Falcon). I think that might scare off whoever it was that was picking that up.

And I'd figure it safe to assume we're going to see the Cloud Car since the pilot is coming. That's almost cooler to me.  8)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 04:45 PM »
The damned Sandcrawler AND Cloud Car sure as heck better be a part of this OTC assortment, or there's gonna be hell to pay!!!   >:(  You hear my Hasbro (and Target, TRU & WM)?  I'm going to come to your headquarters with all my forum buddies, and we're going to beat you all up if you don't hurry up and give us these two long overdue vehicles!   :-X

That said  :P, I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing both of these this year finally.  The Cloud Car is a given, considering the now confirmed Cloud Car Pilot, which comes with articulated knees.  And the Sandcrawler has supposedly been confirmed at a couple conventions last year by the Hasbro reps, so I'm not too worried about it...

Now onto the matter of the three we've already seen: Falcon, X-Wing and Tie...  $60 Falcon?  Ugh.  Especially considering I already have 2 or 3 of these things (don't recall).  But I'm sure I'll go ahead and snag one due to the modifications they're making on it...

As for that X-Wing:  WHY?  Why would they take a far crappier sculpt than one that already exists, and reissue that?  Downright stupid!  Yeah, I realize it's cheaper, and is obviously more appropriate if they're trying to reflect on the vintage line somewhat, but its just plain dumb.  That said, I'll still buy it.   :-[   :'(

Tie Fighter?  See X-Wing.  I'm hoping Hasbro just slapped an old one up in their Toy Fair display, 'cause their new one with accurately scaled wings wasn't quite ready to show off yet.  If we're STILL not going to get resculpted wings this year, I'm going to be greatly disappointed!  At the VERY least, they better include the corrected cockpit sculpt with this release, and not the jacked up one with the big ol' battery compartment in the back...

Hell, they'd be wise to re-release the beautifully resculpted Landspeeder from not too long ago.  That was very nice indeed!  I'm guessing the Vader's Tie Fighter will definitely be released in the Saga packaging though, since it's unfortunately due out real soon now...

Repackaged Skiffs, Y-Wings and B-Wings would be cool too, since I know that many people missed out on those Target exclusives.

Then, for the ultimate OTC surprise, Hasbro should finally throw a Jabba's Sailbarge at us!   8)  Yeah, yeah, yeah...  I know.   :'(

SilverZ

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 05:43 PM »
Yeah, I hear ya, brudda.

What I really don't understand, in light of how they're handling the OT "Vintage" figures as ultimate representations, is why that didn't translate to the vehicles as well. There was a time last year when I put the redesigned Landspeeder next to the PFX X-Wing and thought how damn cool they were with their realism and scale. If there ever was a time to go further with that, it would be NOW!

I guess that says a lot for how poorly vehicles must really sell at regular retail. What a shame. With that in mind, I fully understand the $20.00 pricepoint ships. At least the Cloud Car fits into that assortment notion.

I, for one, would be right on board for a high-end vehicle collection that complimented the OT Vintage line. I'd take a 30.00 price point for a correctly scaled TIE. Maybe there's still a chance...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 03:42 PM »
Another tidbit from Hasbro's Q & A today...

Question: On the vehicles - which are updated, which are not?

Answer: The Millennium Falcon has seen significant modifications, with an enlarged cockpit area, firing front missile, and added thrusters in the back that, with the push of a button, allows the vehicle to make the jump to “hyperspace"

The X-wing and TIE Fighter have been modified slightly to meet a lower retail price point.  Similar to the basic figures, they are being reissued for those kids and fans new to the franchise.

Modified for a LOWER price point?!?   >:(  What the hell does that mean?  And the bigger question now is what about the Tie Fighter with the NEW, to-scale wings that popped up on RS's list the other day, and that we've all been begging for for ages?!?  They definitely can't do that at a "lower price point"...   :-\

They wouldn't possibly release a bare bones Tie Fighter again, the followed up later with the correct, accurate one finally, would they?  Like this:

Vintage Tie (2 colors)
POTF2 Tie (same as vintage)
KB exclusive Tie (with resculpted, accurate cockpit but same small wings)
OTC Tie?  (same as POTF2 Tie?)   :-\
REAL Tie?!  (Accurate cockpit and wings finally)?!?

They wouldn't possibly do this now, would they?   ::)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 05:04 PM »
They achieve the lower price point by issuing both the X-Wing and TIE without wings.   ;)

"Use your imagination, kids!  Remember imagination?  No?"

Offline stan

• Jedi Initiate
  • Choose Your Destiny!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 06:10 PM »
Hey Guys, my guess is that new tie with bigger wings that is listed on Hasbro new suprise is a exclusive!!!! We will have to wait and see!!!!
Here for Hope!!!! :D

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 12:22 AM »
I can not figure out why in the hell Hasbro chose to release those horrible molds of the X-Wing and TIE again.  I think the Falcon is a great idea, but to replace the X-Wing and TIE, I would have picked a couple of different vehicles:

- AT-ST
- Cloud Car
- Snowspeeder

I think most of us around here would have liked to see those instead.

:P

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 12:40 PM »
Well, that's more money I'm saving, but kids may enjoy the cheap x-wing and TIE.  I could definitely go for another AT-ST without redish or green painted "feet".   And the cloud car as well, but I'm sure we are eventually be seeing news on that with upcoming Cloud Car Pilot release.   As far as the Snowspeeder CHEWIE suggested, I could do without another one.  I'm pretty happy with the ones Hasbro has put out since POTF2 and have enough already.  Of course, even without the new exclusive X-wing coming from TRU, I have enough X-Wings as well, but when it comes out, I'll be getting that one as well.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 12:43 PM »
Read the Front Page!

Sandcrawler!

New Y-Wing!

New Slave 1!

Woot!

Thanks for the news tidbit, Scott!  (I stole your news for the TradeFed, but gave ya the credit!  www.tradefederation.net)!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 02:32 PM »
I'm game for the sandcrawler and most likely the Y-wing, especially if its a new deco.

I doubt I'm going to pick up the ESB Slave I (the old one is good enough) and I can't see too many things that Hasbro can do to Vaders TIE that will make it worth picking up.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004, 02:55 PM »
Depending on price and availability (and space in our house) at the time, I might pick up all of these.  Personally, I don't have any of these vehicles, so they're all pretty much new to me.  I do have Jango's Slave 1 (which Boba's might be based off of?), but I'd really like to have Boba's in my collection too.  I'm definitely down for the Sandcrawler, and hopefully the Y-Wing and Vader's Tie as well.  I remember seeing the POTF2 Y-Wing one time, and I hid it and thought I could pick it up later as we left the mall (Target was in the mall at that time), but when I came back it was gone.  No big deal, but I should have just picked it up.  Anyways, nice to hear there are some more vehicles coming our way this year....especially with some OT-flavor :)

Durge

The newest issue of Insider has info on the Sandcrawler and an image of it as well. It will be released with two (POTF) Jawa's and a Death Star Droid. They also announced a Y-Wing will be put out as well as Slave 1 (ESB style) and Darth Vader's TIE Fighter! These are all part of the OTC line.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 06:46 AM by Durge »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Yeah Durge we're already talking about this in two spots actually...I'm going to merge the discussion ;)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2004, 04:45 PM »
I'd personally like to see the AT-ST and Snowspeeder again, because I never picked either one up the times they were available.

Too bad they don't try to release the AT-AT again. I know the Shuttle really didn't go over that well, and these were sold for $20 a few years ago, but I always thought it was one of the Empire's signature vehicles, and should be made available again, IMO.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk