Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 117642 times)

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #480 on: October 20, 2004, 08:55 AM »
Whoever called A-Rod a wussy is an idiot.

Yeah, thanks. I just call it like I see it, and on that play, with the way he intentionally tried to knock that ball loose, it made him look like a wuss.

Who wouldn't have done that in that situation

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most people, especially professional baseball players would not have done the same thing. Reason being, I've seen very similar plays to that, who knows how many dozens or hundreds of times in all the games I've watched in my life and I can't honestly remember a time where the runner made an attempt to swat the ball loose like that, while running to first. Most either try to dodge the tag or simply concede the out.

because who of us can honestly say they knew that rule?

Why should any of us know that rule? We aren't getting paid 25 million a yr to play the sport and know the rules. Funny thing is, both commentators lastnight seemed to know the rule. Why shouldn't A-Rod?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #481 on: October 20, 2004, 09:03 AM »
I agree it was sort of sissy and then to act like they were wrong on the call was also sissy.  Nothing against him though because he's a great player.

A couple of points brought up this morning on the radio:

Why can players plow over the catcher
Why can players plow over the 2B/SS on a double play

The host said that in both cases you can't swipe at the ball to try and dislodge it like that...I don't know if that's true or not

I can't wait to see the game tonight

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 20, 2004, 09:14 AM »
A couple of points brought up this morning on the radio:

Why can players plow over the catcher
Why can players plow over the 2B/SS on a double play

I'm going to guess the reason that they are allowed to do that in those instances is because the fielder is typically in the runner's basepath and the runner probably has the right to run to the bag, even if it means thru another player. Had Arroyo been more in A-Rods way to the point they actually collided and the ball was knocked loose, then more than likely he would have been called safe but when the only contact was A-Rod swinging his arm at the pitchers arm, that's not quite the same thing.

Nothing against him though because he's a great player.

I agree. Great player, poor lack of judgement lastnight.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 20, 2004, 09:32 AM »
Did anyone expect any different?  Red Sox-Yanks, game 7.  It's going to be great.  Honestly, I'm hoping for a blow out either way, I can't take anymore of this close ****. 

Sox have already made history.  It's time to do it again. 

Go Red Sox!!
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #484 on: October 20, 2004, 09:37 AM »
Yeah its been an amazing series, and I'll admit I was with the rest of the country who thought it was over at 3-0

And its also amazing how little publicity the NLCS has gotten...I guess when the media darling Cubs are not in it nobody cares about them.  The 'Stros have been pitching unbelievably well

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 20, 2004, 09:59 AM »
Like any other Sox fan, I am still in aw of last nights game.  Dont think I was finally able to fall asleep until 3 AM just because of the disbelief of what has happened and the adrenaline rush I was having.  No way did I think the Sox or any other team could rebound from what had looked to be mental game at this point in the series.  If the Sox bats could just come alive, especially Damon and a few other players, then the Yanks may be in trouble.  Pitching really worries me tonight with Lowe, but I think Francona may finally be onto something by mixing up the pitching like he has.  I bet we see almost everyone pitch tonight minus Schilling.  I wouldnt doubt if Pedro shows up later in the game for an inning or two either.  If the game becomes a blowout I think things may get nasty though.  Either way, the Sox have nothing to lose and the momentum is definitely there advantage.  Plus Schilling will go down as being a total gamer having one of the best performances of his career and will go down in Sox history. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 10:00 AM by rebeltrader »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 20, 2004, 12:08 PM »
Pfft! Go Yankees!  I hope we have more armored cops! Thats ******' nuts!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 20, 2004, 01:59 PM »
I totally disagree chuckles.  What A-Rod did was genious and if not for an obscure rule that, let's face it, even the announcers really didn't know, he'd have been safe.  I have seen players do that before (attempt to dislodge the ball) and just because you haven't seen it on a national TV stage doesn't mean it's some unseen occurence.  I can remember back in the 90s Rickey Henderson slid into home plate and was clearly beaten by the throw.  The catcher had the ball and had his glove out for the tag and Rickey did a "jump slide" and his cleat landed right in the mit and dislodged the ball.  He scrambled and touched home and was called safe.  No umpire meeting, no nothing.  What A-Rod did was not wussy nor dumb.  It was a smart play in a situation where he was dead to rights basically. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #488 on: October 20, 2004, 02:07 PM »
Totally crazy to see this going to a Game 7 now, after the shalacking the Sox took in making it a 3-0 series lead just several days ago.  But an impressive comeback for sure, and credit goes to the Sox for that.  But man, the Yanks have just sucked at the plate during this slide.  Never seen them perform so poorly with runners in scoring position, and the like.  Almost looks like they're choking, though a lot of the credit for shutting them down obviously goes to Boston.

As for the dumb**** umps...  I hate seeing all the headlines about the game last night being about the umps making two huge calls in favor of Boston.  The headlines barely even point out the fact that both of the overrulings were unquestionably correct.  They almost make it sound like they were actually controversial (of course they were to the Yanks fans in attendance).  Had the umps just DONE THEIR DAMNED JOB CORRECTLY from the start, this wouldn't have even been an issue.  Idiot.  A ball lands 4 feet over the fence and bounces of a fans stomach, and the ump thinks it went off the freakin' wall?  ****, get serious.  And they even have outfield umps down the lines for the playoffs, so there should be considerably less chance of making an incorrect call.

They definitely got A-Rod's call correct too, and I'd be willing to bet that 99.5% of MLB players KNOW that specific rule, which is why you rarely, if ever, see them taking swipes (with their arms/hands) at the ball or the opponent's glove when they're involved in a tag out play of that nature.  I don't necessarily fault A-Rod for giving it a shot though.  Hell, it's worth a try at that particular moment.  He's gonna be toast at first regardless, Game 6 is on the line, so why not go for a desparate move like that in hopes the umps **** up and let it go.  Just don't get all upset when they decide to make the correct call...  Of course, had the umps called it correctly when it first happened, I'm sure they would've avoided the eventual response they got after having to correct their mistake later on.  Dumbasses.  Just glad to see they got both of those "controversial" calls correct, so the outcome of the game wasn't in question.

Anyway, it's gonna be one helluva Game 7 tonight!  Gotta jet home early today to check it out...

Hopefully the 'Stros polish off the Cards in Game 6 tonight too, so Clemens can pitch Game 1 of the World Series, and possibly even be able to pitch twice more after that, if necessary.

Still should've been Angels vs. Dodgers though...   >:(
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 02:09 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 20, 2004, 02:59 PM »
I again disagree that 99.5% of MLB players knew that rule.  It doesn't matter how long you play a game, you as a player are not going to know every rule there is in the book.  I saw a quote in the LA Times this morning that backs exactly the point that I'm raising in defending why A-Rod did what he did:

"The umpire said I could have run him over, but he was coming at me, and I know the line belongs to me.  He was reaching toward my stomach, and I feel I can knock it out."

I couldn't agree more.  The reason you don't see players doing this more is because who really wants to plow over a non-athlete pitcher when you're running up the 1st base line?  The argument here is valid.  It's ok to bowl over a catcher or a shortstop but you can't swat at a guys glove as he's making a tag?  It was a desperate act at a desperate time no doubt, but it was also a genious move because had it worked, A-Rod is on second and Jeter is in the dugout high-fiving guys. 

Now you've read my earlier posts, so don't think for 1 second I'm blaming the umps for the series being 3-3.  I also agree w/ Matt that the umps got all sorts of press for doing their job.  What is that all about? 

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 20, 2004, 03:43 PM »
For all you Yankees fans who so quickly forget.  Anyone remember that blown call last year where Jeter supposedly tagged one of our players and they called him out.  I forget which Boston player it was, but the replay showed that he was not even within 3 feet of tagging that player out.  Im sorry, but even though Grady Little f'ed up not pulling Pedro, the Umps handed you guys a few bad plays last year that cost us one game that would of ended things.  F*ck the curse, its for the superstitious. And Boston aint got time to believe in that BS anymore.  The curse is old news and just isnt playing out the same anymore for us fans. Trust me.  We leave that superstitious crap to the NY fans. 

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 20, 2004, 04:48 PM »
Regarding A-Rod saying

"The umpire said I could have run him over, but he was coming at me, and I know the line belongs to me.  He was reaching toward my stomach, and I feel I can knock it out."

True, while the line might belong to him, the pitcher was not at all in his baserunning line and was not at all impeding his path to 1st base. He blatently swatted his left arm out, hitting the pitcher in the forearm and jarring the ball loose. Had there been more of a body to body type collision there and the ball came loose, then he's safe. But when the only contact made is A-Rods left hand coming down on the pitchers forearm, that's a different story.

The argument here is valid.  It's ok to bowl over a catcher or a shortstop but you can't swat at a guys glove as he's making a tag?

If you're saying it should be OK to swat at a guys glove while trying to make a tag, why stop there. Why not also make it legal that, if on a popup where the fielder is standing near a basepath, the baserunner can stand there and at the last second make a swat at the fielders glove just a split second before he attempts to catch it. I mean, he is standing in the vicinity of the baserunners path, not unlike the situation lastnight, is he not? Or, why not just bowl over the fielder who is in your way but looking up at the ball trying to make a catch?

It was a desperate act at a desperate time no doubt, but it was also a genious move because had it worked, A-Rod is on second and Jeter is in the dugout high-fiving guys.

A genious move? I don't think so. Had he conceded the out, Jeter is standing on 2nd base and in scoring position. As a result of his desperate act, Jeter had to return to 1st and A-Rod could have very well cost his team a run if the next guy would have singled and instead of scoring Jeter, it would have left baserunners at the corners. But since no one else got a hit that inning, it's a moot point.

Actually, none of this will matter at all, if Boston doesn't win tonight.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #492 on: October 20, 2004, 06:02 PM »
A genious move? I don't think so. Had he conceded the out, Jeter is standing on 2nd base and in scoring position. As a result of his desperate act, Jeter had to return to 1st...

I'd actually forgotten they sent Jeter back to first when I made my comments above, suggesting it wasn't a bad move since A-Rod had nothing to lose.  So with that in mind, I'd change my position above, and suggest A-Rod just take the out.

I don't think anybody here is arguing that you can't bowl ANY player over and knock the ball loose and be safe - pitcher or otherwise.  Just the deliberate arm swinging is what's against the rules.  As for the Rickey Henderson case, I'm pretty sure spikes flying, regardless of how high or close to the glove (even if intentional), is all fair game.  I'm sure Ty Cobb spiked more than a few balls loose in his day!

Anyway, we've all stated our opinions on it, so let's just let it go and move on now and focus on the big Game 7 showdown.  Do or die.  Loser goes home.  Gonna be fun!   8)

And hopefully the dumbass umps are "invisible" as humanly possible tonight, so the players can actually garner the attention this time!   ::)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 06:04 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 20, 2004, 06:08 PM »
Am I the only one who was thrilled with the heavily padded cops last night?

Here's to hoping they'll be there later! ;D

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #494 on: October 20, 2004, 08:21 PM »
Damn!  Another crazy extra-inning barn burner!

Edmonds just donked a 2-run walk off dinger to push the NL series to a Game 7 as well.  Happy for Edmonds, since he's a former Halo.

Here comes Clemens!  Go Astros!   8)