Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 117855 times)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #495 on: October 20, 2004, 09:14 PM »
I agree.  This has been one of the best series of baseball I can remember.  I really am pulling for the Sox's right now and would like to see the Card's make it to the big dance.

Holy ****...a Grand Slam!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh baby, I said it when Damon got his first hit, if he could come out of his slump-this could turn out to be the year for the Sox's. 

Gotta go..can't type and watch all this at the same time.  :D
Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #496 on: October 20, 2004, 11:00 PM »
I just want to know what happened to all of the Yankee fans?

"Who's Your Daddy?"

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #497 on: October 20, 2004, 11:52 PM »
Pretty shocking.  Yanks came out flat, again.  Sox totally outplayed them again.  The "curse" is half-way lifted...  But you wanna know my prediction?  There will be a new curse by the time the World Series is over:

The Curse of the Rocket

Yep.  Clemens is finally gonna get his shot at really sticking it to the Red Sox once and for all, after they kicked his ass out the door like a sorry punk.  Yeah, he was definitely finished.  Only got 4 more Cy Young awards after he departed Boston...   ::)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 21, 2004, 01:24 AM »
Like my posts said, the Yankees let the Red Sox off the mat and it cost them.  I was genuinely concerned knowing that you can't give a guy like Schilling a chance to redeem himself and you really don't want to play a game 7 because too many things can happen.  Exhibit A: Johnny Damon, hitting under .100 for the series has 2 bombs and 6 ribbies.  The Yankees staff, their Achilles heel all season, finally caught up to them.  I would take my hat off to any team but the Red Sox, so f--k them and now in about 24 hours I'm either a huge Cards fan or a huge 'Stros fan.  But the bottom line, if the Sox don't win the World Series, this win over the Yanks don't mean s--t.

The interesting thing now is to see who survives The Boss' wrath.  It ain't gonna be pretty.  This was the ultimate loss for the Bronx Bombers. 

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 21, 2004, 07:55 AM »
  I would take my hat off to any team but the Red Sox, so f--k them

Nothing makes me happier than a sad Yankees fan ;D

Today is the best hangover I've had.  ;) The Greatest Comeback in Sports History and the Biggest Choke of all Time.  How's that $190 million payroll now Georgie Boy?  Three outs away from sweeping and your team of bloated contracts blew it.  Have a good off season.

What a way for Damon to break out of his slump.  Keep it up.

The Sox won without Manny driving in a run.  Pretty shocking.

DLowe is going to get some serious money from someone with the gem he pitched.

Step 2 complete boys, 4 more wins to go.

Go Red Sox!!

Oh, and for all the "fans" who want to celebrate by burning cars, get a ******* life. 

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 21, 2004, 11:50 AM »
Tremendous series on both sides of things.  I'm not usually a big baseball watcher, but have tuned in for this Yankees-Red Sox bru-ha-ha.  Nothing against Yankee fans, but I was really happy to see the Red Sox finally get the monkey off their back, and to come back from being down 3-0 to do it?  Amazing.  Plus, with all the extra innings madness, it has turned into one of the most exciting series I've ever seen.  More Game 7 madness tonight with the Cards and Stros.  Not really sure if I care who wins or not, I don't have anything against either team, and it will just be nice seeing different teams in the world series.  Hopefully the final series lives up to the expectations set by these two divisional championships.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 21, 2004, 01:49 PM »
  I would take my hat off to any team but the Red Sox, so f--k them

Nothing makes me happier than a sad Yankees fan ;D

Today is the best hangover I've had.  ;) The Greatest Comeback in Sports History and the Biggest Choke of all Time.  How's that $190 million payroll now Georgie Boy?  Three outs away from sweeping and your team of bloated contracts blew it.  Have a good off season.

What a way for Damon to break out of his slump.  Keep it up.

The Sox won without Manny driving in a run.  Pretty shocking.

DLowe is going to get some serious money from someone with the gem he pitched.

Step 2 complete boys, 4 more wins to go.

Go Red Sox!!

Oh, and for all the "fans" who want to celebrate by burning cars, get a ******* life. 

Not sad, disappointed.  And like I said, I hate the Sox w/ a passion so they get no respect from me.  Enjoy your win, but remember, if you don't go on and win the series, it don't mean ****.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 21, 2004, 05:18 PM »
I hate the Yankees with passion but I respect them (at least their mid 90s teams with Brosius, Tito and O'Neil, not so much now a days).  The Sox made history and even the most die hard Yankee fan should be able to put aside his hatred and respect that, but apparently that's not the case.  If the situation was reversed and the Yankees came back and won 4 straight, I would certainly respect that.  Sad, bitter and disappointed yes, but respectful none the less.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 21, 2004, 07:20 PM »
I hate the Yankees with passion but I respect them (at least their mid 90s teams with Brosius, Tito and O'Neil, not so much now a days).  The Sox made history and even the most die hard Yankee fan should be able to put aside his hatred and respect that, but apparently that's not the case.  If the situation was reversed and the Yankees came back and won 4 straight, I would certainly respect that.  Sad, bitter and disappointed yes, but respectful none the less.

There are certain teams in sports that I show no respect for and won't pat them on the back if they accomplish something (Red Sox, Avs, etc.) 

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 22, 2004, 12:35 AM »
Congrats to the Cards, my pick as World Champs!  They are a step closer.  Keep The Curse alive!!

It did suck to see Clemens lose as I am a huge fan of The Rocket.  Just an amazing pitcher.  A tough loss for Houston but that organization cannot hang their heads after the run they had. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #505 on: October 22, 2004, 12:43 AM »
Agreed on Clemens, love the guy and has always been one of my favorites to watch and I've always wanted him and his teams to do well

I'm picking the Cards too, both teams are even as far as hitting goes but with all of the let down for having beat the Yankees and for having a pretty beat up staff, I can't see the Sox continuing it another 4 wins.  The pitching therefore is even and to me it comes down to LaRussa versus Francona

Francona's absolutely asinine move of bringing in Martinez last night tips that scales for me to the Cardinals...

Although, if the Sox win I won't be upset, one less stupid thing the media can no longer run into the ground to death, over and over and over again

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #506 on: October 22, 2004, 03:03 AM »
It did suck to see Clemens lose as I am a huge fan of The Rocket.  Just an amazing pitcher.

Exactly.  I've loved the Rocket ever since he broke into the league, and have always rooted for him and his teams.  Plus, it would've been cool to see Houston make it to their first World Series, and for Clemens to pitch against his former team.  Just bummed the loss had to come against Clemens.  He was so close too...  I wonder if that's it for him now, or if he'll be back for another go of it, with a hopefully healthy Pettite alongside him this time.  Either way, he should at least have another Cy Young award on his mantle real soon here.

But I do really like the Cards team and all of their players.  No one on their team really "annoys" me, which I can't say for the Sox.  Plus, I've always really liked Jim Edmonds (former Angel), so I'll be rooting for him and the Cards to keep "the curse" alive.

Plus, I think the Sox may be spent now after such a grueling and emotional series against their dreaded rivals.  Hell, they're already acting like they've won the whole thing just 'cause they finally got past the Yanks and got that monkey off their back.  But they've actually still got a very long way to go, against a VERY good team too.  Far from over.

Not to mention, I recently saw my Lakers following a very similar path.  All we "had to do" was win the West and the Championship was ours, since the East didn't even count.  And we all know how that turned out...   >:(
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 03:09 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 22, 2004, 07:52 AM »
Just for the record, I hate all this curse talk.  It was made up by some dip **** Boston sports writer to make money by writing a book.  And it apparently worked if you guys on the West Coast are talking about it.  Everyone decided it sounded good and it was the reason the Sox haven't won in 8+ decades.  It was bad management, non-quality pitchers, etc and not the ghost of a fat pitcher turned slugger.

As for the WS, I expect a great series.  Sluggers vs. sluggers, the two best offensive teams in the majors.  Obviously I'm biased, but I'll take my chances with Schilling (even at 80%) and Pedro.  As for the tired issue, they did get an extra day off after their series and are already home, whereas the Cards are flying halfway over the country today.

As for Clemens--I'll thank him for losing the All Star game and leave it at that.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 22, 2004, 01:14 PM »
Just for the record, I hate all this curse talk.  It was made up by some dip **** Boston sports writer to make money by writing a book.  And it apparently worked if you guys on the West Coast are talking about it.  Everyone decided it sounded good and it was the reason the Sox haven't won in 8+ decades.  It was bad management, non-quality pitchers, etc and not the ghost of a fat pitcher turned slugger.

As for the WS, I expect a great series.  Sluggers vs. sluggers, the two best offensive teams in the majors.  Obviously I'm biased, but I'll take my chances with Schilling (even at 80%) and Pedro.  As for the tired issue, they did get an extra day off after their series and are already home, whereas the Cards are flying halfway over the country today.

As for Clemens--I'll thank him for losing the All Star game and leave it at that.

Who's sad now with all this Curse talk?   ;)  I fully believe in the Curse and there isn't anything anyone can say to change my view on that.  The Yankees had never won a championship and the Sox had won like 5 of the first 15 but when they sold the Babe, the Yankees went on to not only dominate the Sox and most of the majors, but they also claimed 26 championships (a record for any major sport.)  The Sox?  No titles since the sale of the Babe and some pretty awful moments since then (Bucky Dent, Bill Buckner, etc.) 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 22, 2004, 03:45 PM »
Hmm, did the Oilers win after they sold Gretzky?  Maybe there is a curse there now as well. 

But of the Sox curse, it hasn't been lifted, even if it exists.  They need to win the last series for the curse to be gone.  I found it odd that most of the media were calling the curse done.  A little premature I'd say (due respect to Mikey). 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.