Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 117640 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #585 on: November 22, 2004, 04:14 PM »
I guess the word that I heard on them staying the Expos was wrong

Cool Cap though

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 22, 2004, 04:42 PM »
Pardon me, but I think it's a dopey name.  Yes, they're playing in the nation's capitol, and they're also in the National League (if it were otherwise, it would be even dopier).  But the name doesn't do it for me. 

I think with Major League Baseball's emphasis on it's own history and tradition, it seems like the Washington Senators would have been a perfect fit.  Sure, the Senators didn't have a great tradition and were never anything special, but if the events of this past October have taught us anything, it's that streaks of bad luck do end.  When the NFL saw fit to expand again and resurrect the Cleveland Browns all was right in the world.  The same should have been said of the Senators.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #587 on: November 22, 2004, 04:46 PM »
Yeah I agree Nick, I also (as does my dad) thinks its stupid Baltimore aren't the Colts and Houston aren't the Oilers in Football.  It should have been the Senators  The only thing I think why they didn't is because of the Ottawa Senators but that's reaching

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 22, 2004, 05:11 PM »
I don't know that I agree about the Baltimore thing.  The Colts held onto their name after they left Baltimore.  Also, the city of Cleveland also fought Art Modell for ownership of the name The Browns,  prompting him to change the name of his franchise to the Ravens.  I think those situations are kind of sticky.  As for the Oilers/Texans....I'm on the fence.  I kind of like the Texans name.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 22, 2004, 08:52 PM »
Just read the Nationals was the official original name from 1901 to 1960.

The Nationals was the official original name of the Senators franchise that played in Washington from 1901-60, although the team was known by both names for several decades. Owner Calvin Griffith officially changed the name to Senators in 1957.

Selig wanted to use Senators, but leave it to the politicians to muck things up.  :-*

Commissioner Bud Selig preferred the name Senators for Washington's new team, but the mayor objected because the District of Columbia does not have representation in the U.S. Senate.

AP news

« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 08:54 PM by Jedi Idej »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #590 on: November 29, 2004, 02:43 PM »
HoF ballots this week...

Is this the year for my 2nd Base Hero, Rhino?  In the little leagues, I always had # 23 and always played second base because of him.  I got a chance to head to Wrigley a few times and watch him play, always amazed me (as a fellow 2nd baseman).  He set a crap load of records at 2nd, too bad most people don't remember him. :(

Here's hoping that he makes it this year...

Also, a couple piddly little plan-B signings by the Twins to cover for Guzy and Blanco leaving the Twins.  Still working on BRadke and Coskie I hope...  :-\

Interesting to see that the A's finally got the deal done to nab Kendall from the Pirates.  Should make them better a better at catcher than Miller did I'd say.

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #591 on: December 2, 2004, 10:15 AM »
More BALCO!

"Jason Giambi admitted to a federal grand jury that he took steroids and human growth hormone in 2003, according to transcripts of testimony obtained by the San Francisco Chronicle and published in the newspaper's Thursday editions."

Can Barry be far behind???   :-X

Jeff

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #592 on: December 2, 2004, 10:20 AM »
If you had a Vote who would you put on your Hall of Fame Ballot?

The complete ballot (x-first time eligible): x-Jim Abbott, Bert Blyleven, x-Wade Boggs, x-Tom Candiotti, Dave Concepcion, x-Chili Davis, Andre Dawson, Steve Garvey, Rich Gossage, Tommy John, x-Mark Langston, Don Mattingly, x-Jack McDowell, x-Willie McGee, x-Jeff Montgomery, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, x-Otis Nixon, Dave Parker, x-Tony Phillips, Jim Rice, Ryne Sandberg, Lee Smith, x-Terry Steinbach, x-Darryl Strawberry, Bruce Sutter, Alan Trammell

Here's mine:

Bert Blyleven - 5th All Time in Strike Outs won a World Series, he deserves a spot
Jack Morris - Greatest Pitcher of His Era behind Ryan, won 2 rings, one of the best big game pitchers of all time, plus he completes the Saint Paul trio of Winfield, Molitor and him
Wade Boggs - The AL equivalent of Tony Gwynn, best pure hitter in his era, little less than Puck only due to his lack of rings and power
Ryne Sandberg - Again, best 2B of his era and maybe of any era, he'll get in eventually

Not making the cut:

Don Mattingly - Hrbek was a better 1st Baseman and Mattingly won all of the Gold Gloves, his bat was good but I just couldn't vote for him)
Andre Dawson How many average power hitters does the hall need?
Lee Smith - Pitched in the closer era and was never as dominant as Eck and heck as even Reardon, him getting in lets anyone in to Cooperstown
Alan Trammell Next year for Alan
Jim Rice See Andre Dawson and Lee Smith
Dave Parker See Jim Rice
Dale Murphy See Dave Parker

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #593 on: December 2, 2004, 10:31 AM »
If you had a Vote who would you put on your Hall of Fame Ballot?

Bert Blyleven - 5th All Time in Strike Outs and won a World Series.  Agreed, he needs to be there.
Jack Morris - TWO rings, one of the best big game pitchers of all time - Game 7 1991, baby.
Ryne Sandberg - The best 2B of his era, holds too may records at 2B to NOT be in the HoF

I always go back and forth on Goose and Lee Smith, but ultimately pass on them.  As for Boggs, he can wait a year.  I think he'll get in , but not on his first try.

Jeff

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #594 on: December 2, 2004, 10:44 AM »
Like I said, you let Lee Smith or Goose in there and suddenly you'll have to be letting in Reardon and Aggie and Tom Henke and and and and

Eck deserved it...Mariano Rivera will deserve it, the rest of those guys, no way

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 2, 2004, 12:45 PM »
More BALCO!

ESPN. Cliff notes. Blah. Go straight to their source

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 3, 2004, 03:18 AM »
More BALCO!

"Jason Giambi admitted to a federal grand jury that he took steroids and human growth hormone in 2003, according to transcripts of testimony obtained by the San Francisco Chronicle and published in the newspaper's Thursday editions."

Can Barry be far behind???   :-X

Jeff

Not far!! 

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3214132

Oh happy day!!!

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 3, 2004, 11:56 AM »
Lengthier article from the SF Chronicle.

On a sidenote, I wonder if Conte's interview tonight on 20/20 forced the Chronicle to print the Bonds and Giambi articles  sooner than they wanted.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #598 on: December 3, 2004, 11:59 AM »
I'm reserving judgement for a little bit on this whole thing.  I'd like to know how in the hell SEALED Grand Jury testimony was leaked like this!  What does that say about the legal system?  I guess anything is fair game now, that's the biggest thing that bothers me about this, not the roids since that's been widely known for years

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #599 on: December 8, 2004, 10:09 AM »
Radke signs two-year deal

Whew!   ;D

Looks good on keeping Koskie too.  Now, all the Twins have to do is go get this guy back since the Phillies passed on him by not offering arbitration:

Can you imagine a Santana/Radke/Milton/Lohse/Mays rotation next year?!?  That's a huge L-R-L wallop!

It would make me so happy I could  :'(.  Get on it Terry Ryan!

Jeff