Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 117606 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #600 on: December 8, 2004, 11:07 AM »
Well Cubs sign Nomar. Hows that paycut working for Nomar now?  Sox offer him 15million, then 12million and now gets screwed with 9million from the Cubs.  These athletes are just nobs for thinking they cant support a family on 5-6 million a year. 

Also, looks like D Lowe wont take the 9 million a year over three years from the Sox.  Is he even worth that?  Cabrerra is definitely gone since we wont offer him a 5 year deal.  Hopefully the focus will remain on Varitek, Martinez and another starter. 

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 8, 2004, 04:21 PM »
Some of the happenings today:

Jon Lieber signs with Phillies

Tony Womack and Jaret Wright sign with Yankees

Al Leiter signs with Marlins

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #602 on: December 8, 2004, 04:35 PM »
You know its cool the Twins got Radke back, it really is, but why are they bringing back Koskie and Jones?  Why not dump a little salary and go after someone with Power...someone that can hit 40 homers.  Especially playing in the dome.  Do they forget that that was the cornerstone of the 87 and 91 teams?

Hopefully Morneau continues to develop in to that kind of guy but they need more.  I'm sick of winning the division, if their serious, start opening the wallet you crusty old son of a bitch and bring in a free agent or two.  Because as the last three years has shown, its not enough

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 8, 2004, 05:36 PM »
I don't know how to feel about the Yankee's getting Jaret Wright. I've never liked the guy, but he did have a really good year, and it's nice to bring in a guy that's actually under 30. Losing Leiber is a big "Meh" in my book.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 8, 2004, 07:02 PM »
I don't know how to feel about the Yankee's getting Jaret Wright. I've never liked the guy, but he did have a really good year, and it's nice to bring in a guy that's actually under 30. Losing Leiber is a big "Meh" in my book.

Getting Jaret will be a steal if he maintains his health and velocity.  Sam and I saw him pitch against the Dodgers and he had wicked stuff.  He was consistently around 96 all day. 

I LOVE the pickup of Womack.  The Yanks get a leadoff hitter and 2Bman in one swoop. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 8, 2004, 07:53 PM »
I always take a "wait and see" approach to the offseason.  I think the Yanks letting Leiber go might be a mistake.  He had some great outings where he was nearly unhittable.

Al Leiter being effectively shown the door by the Mets is something of a surprise.  He was one of the clubhouse leaders, but I think Omar Minaya wants the team to go in a different direction.

What's very galling about off-season goings on is this:  Barry Bonds has the last 6+ years of his career being called into question and still has the nerve to hold a $1,000 + ticketed autograph event in NYC.  A-Rod is also a part of the event, but you would think that Bonds would lay low in light of the Balco scandal and the recent revelations.  I can't believe he has the nerve to do something like this now.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 9, 2004, 01:39 AM »
I always take a "wait and see" approach to the offseason.  I think the Yanks letting Leiber go might be a mistake.  He had some great outings where he was nearly unhittable.

Al Leiter being effectively shown the door by the Mets is something of a surprise.  He was one of the clubhouse leaders, but I think Omar Minaya wants the team to go in a different direction.

What's very galling about off-season goings on is this:  Barry Bonds has the last 6+ years of his career being called into question and still has the nerve to hold a $1,000 + ticketed autograph event in NYC.  A-Rod is also a part of the event, but you would think that Bonds would lay low in light of the Balco scandal and the recent revelations.  I can't believe he has the nerve to do something like this now.

This is Barry Bonds we're talking about bud.  I'm not surprised at all.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: December 9, 2004, 09:01 PM »
So what do you think of Glaus to the D'Backs for $45 million Matt?  Took the money and ran didn't he?

I think Jeff Kent will end up at 1B, but if the Dodgers don't resign Beltre (which I don't believe they will) and miss out on Koskie, he'll play 3B.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2004, 09:02 PM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #608 on: December 9, 2004, 09:09 PM »
Yeah, losing Glaus totally bummed me out.  Loved that guy, though he'd gotten a bit injury prone over the last couple seasons.  Sounded like the Dodgers were in talks with him too.  Wish he could've at least stayed in town.  But the D'backs would be my third choice though, since that's where my parents live, and I like to root for those teams a little as well...

I don't blame Glaus for leaving though, and don't really consider him to have just been chasing the money.  Angels were going to let him go regardless, I think.  He could've offered to take a pay cut and Moreno would've still ditched him in favor of young (and unproven) Dallas McPherson, who they can practically get for the minimum (for now).  So Glaus has pretty much been a lame duck player for the past several months.

Sucks though, since he was Mr. Clutch come playoff time - in both the World Series run, and this past season (despite the early exit).  Gonna miss him.  Percy too, though that move was pretty obvious when Troy said he didn't want the setup role to K-Rod.  Halos let their resident hot head go too.  Times, they are a changin'...

Hopefully they'll still make some noise on the free agent market though, now that they've cleared some space.

Wonder if the always idle Dodgers will pull their heads outta the sand long enough to do something as well.  Not holding my breath on that one though.  Plus, they're surely gonna lose Beltre...   :-\

In closing, I'd just like to say that the Twins suck.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #609 on: December 9, 2004, 09:36 PM »
In closing, I'd just like to say that the Twins suck.

In closing, I'd just like to say that JediMAC is mean.   >:(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #610 on: December 9, 2004, 11:11 PM »
How many World Series have the Dodgers won in the last 22 years?

How about the Angels?

How many division titles combined?

Hmmm...I think you meant, My Teams Suck

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #611 on: December 10, 2004, 01:15 PM »
Wonder if the always idle Dodgers will pull their heads outta the sand long enough to do something as well.  Not holding my breath on that one though...

Well surprise, surprise.  We landed Jeff Kent yesterday, for 2 years.  I like it!  Not many 2B's with much pop in the league.  I've always liked Kent, even if his teammates often don't.  So long as he's not popping wheelies on his motorcycle, and stays healthy, his bat should bring some partial relief to our lineup as it says goodbye to Beltre...

Kudos to the Blue for actually makin' a move.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #612 on: December 10, 2004, 01:19 PM »
How many World Series have the Dodgers won in the last 22 years?

How about the Angels?

I like your cutoff date of 22 years there, making sure I can't add the Dodgers 1981 World Series victory in there...   ::)

But I'll go ahead and do that anyway, and say:

Dodgers: 2

Angels: 1

Eh, could be/should be better, but at least we've both got titles under our belts in that time, so I guess I won't complain too much.

Division titles?  I dunno, and don't care to do the research.  You should just thank your lucky stars that the Twinkies have been playing in the worst division in baseball for years now.  That certainly helps...   :-*

P.S.  Kirby Puckett beats women.  Criminal.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 10, 2004, 04:33 PM »
More good news for Matt:  Peter Gammons is reporting the Dodgers and A's are talking about a Tim Hudson trade.  Also said the Angels may get Orlando Cabrera.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 12, 2004, 09:30 AM »
Wells to Boston.  Not sure how I feel about this one.  He was literally telling Boston to **** off a few years back when we were interested in him.  His back problems definitely worry me.  His personality would fit in here though.