Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 117670 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #691 on: January 7, 2005, 01:56 PM »
Craziest thing I've heard in a while

Nice.  Way to go Douggie Baseball!   ::)

It's times like this I am glad he's NOT a Twin any longer...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #692 on: January 7, 2005, 01:58 PM »
I think he's got a right to own that though especially if nobody asked for it until recently.  It's no different than Bonds getting a certain ball back from a fan etc and I guess its pretty rare a fielder keeps a ball after making a play like that

I never really liked him that much although he plays a mean First Base

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 7, 2005, 03:04 PM »
I guess I should chime in.  This was reported this morning by Dan Shaughnessy in the Boston Globe.  Shaughnessy, from here on out to be CHB (curly haired boyfriend.  Name courtesy of Carl Everett), originally called Doug M to talk about about him and Kevin Millar (one of them is going to be traded).  Doug respectfully declined that request, opting to wait to see what happens.  A discussion then starts, half heartedly, about what happened to the ball.  Up until this point, no one - MLB, the HOF, the Red Sox - asked about the ball.  Doug then made the comments about selling the ball, joking the entire time.  CHB then runs with the story.  And from the looks of it, it spread mighty quickly.

Doug felt he was misrepresentive, so he calls into WEEI (the local sports radio station here) to set the record straight.  He sounded sincere.  He has no intention of selling the ball and would gladly loan it to the Red Sox if they requested.  He knows what it means to Red Sox Nation and said he would stand out in front of Fenway Park to show the ball if the FO asked.

CHB is a hack writer who was made a career of stretching the truth.  He was the dip**** who invented the whole "Curse" thing to sell a few books.  Most people here in Boston thinks he sucks and tend to not believe a word he writes.

I don't know Doug M. as well as Scott and Jeff, but I liked what I saw from him in his short time here.  He made a mistake talking to CHB and unfortunately his reputation is tarnished.  I hope most RS fans see pass this and not believe what CHB wrote.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 7, 2005, 06:48 PM »
I guess I should chime in.  This was reported this morning by Dan Shaughnessy in the Boston Globe.  Shaughnessy, from here on out to be CHB (curly haired boyfriend.  Name courtesy of Carl Everett), originally called Doug M to talk about about him and Kevin Millar (one of them is going to be traded).  Doug respectfully declined that request, opting to wait to see what happens.  A discussion then starts, half heartedly, about what happened to the ball.  Up until this point, no one - MLB, the HOF, the Red Sox - asked about the ball.  Doug then made the comments about selling the ball, joking the entire time.  CHB then runs with the story.  And from the looks of it, it spread mighty quickly.

Doug felt he was misrepresentive, so he calls into WEEI (the local sports radio station here) to set the record straight.  He sounded sincere.  He has no intention of selling the ball and would gladly loan it to the Red Sox if they requested.  He knows what it means to Red Sox Nation and said he would stand out in front of Fenway Park to show the ball if the FO asked.

CHB is a hack writer who was made a career of stretching the truth.  He was the dip**** who invented the whole "Curse" thing to sell a few books.  Most people here in Boston thinks he sucks and tend to not believe a word he writes.

I don't know Doug M. as well as Scott and Jeff, but I liked what I saw from him in his short time here.  He made a mistake talking to CHB and unfortunately his reputation is tarnished.  I hope most RS fans see pass this and not believe what CHB wrote.

I heard the interview too Mikey.  It is definitely getting blown out of proportion and misrepresented.  It sounds like it will make a wonderful heirloom to be passed on in his family.  If it was me, i'd keep it for memory sake.  No one gave too shi*ts about this ball for the last two months ??? Now if he goes ahead and sells it any time soon then i'll think hes a douche.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 9, 2005, 04:24 PM »
Mets and Beltran have agreed in principle on a 7year, $119 million deal.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 9, 2005, 05:49 PM »
Do you think anyone else is going to try and sneak in an offer to Beltran before he signs this deal with the Mets?

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 9, 2005, 07:53 PM »
Do you think anyone else is going to try and sneak in an offer to Beltran before he signs this deal with the Mets?

Doubtful since a) the Astros can no longer negotiate w/ him and b) the Yankees never formally made an offer.  What other team is there?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 9, 2005, 07:59 PM »
Let me tell you something about the Mets.  They SUCK with or without Carlos Beltran.  They sign high priced overaged free agents (not Beltran though), then they rebuild, then they go on a spending spree, then they rebuild.  They're all over the map.  And they still aren't going to win the NL East this year.  You can take that to the bank.  The Mets suck.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 9, 2005, 08:00 PM »
And don't even get me started on trading Scott Kazmir to the Devil Rays last year, who went on to outduel Pedro Martinez TWICE afterwards.  And Kris Benson?  Ugh.  The Mets suck.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: January 10, 2005, 10:33 AM »
Yes, the Mets do suck that is why I am surprised he turned down the Astros offer.  It was basically the same deal and he could have played for a decent team.  I guess the extra few millions he will get can comfort him during the month of October that he won't be playing in for quite awhile if ever again. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 10:34 AM by Darth Broem »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #701 on: January 10, 2005, 02:25 PM »
Hmmm....

And Kris Benson? Ugh. The Mets suck.

I'm not sure what to make of the Mets, but you've got to give new GM Omar Minaya credit. 

He was able to scoop up both Pedro Martinez AND Carlos Beltran to try to give the Mets a little more credibility at least and not fall totally under the Yankees shadow.  Considering that the Cross-town rival Yanks were persuing BOTH Pedro and Beltran and the Mets scored them both, I'm pretty impressed. 

Minaya did good things with le Expos, especially under tight restrictions from MLB.  It's nice to see Minaya have some sucess with the Mets in getting big name guys.  Also, it appears that Carlos Delgado may be working to get with the Mets too... and rumors of them trying to trade for Sammy Sosa too. 

Now, if the Mets just play well they may give the Marlins and Braves something to watch for this year.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 10, 2005, 02:57 PM »
I'm still not ready to give anything to the Mets yet. Look at the Phillies. Each of the last 2 years, their off season moves were to have put them over the top, and each time, they fall flat as the Braves win yet another championship. I can easily see the same thing happening to the Mets this year.

Sure, on paper, Pedro and Beltran look great, but lets take a look at each of their numbers from last year. Pedro had a career high in ERA, hits allowed and walked the most guys he has since '98. Perhaps he is on the downside of his career, or maybe arm problems. Either way, it's not the best of signs heading into this year. And sure, he won 16 games last year, but last time I checked, the Mets offense was not the Sox offense. He'll miss all those runs they scored. I'm sure he'll love having the 3rd worse defense in the majors last year playing behind him too.

On to Beltran. He's a solid player but not an elite kind of offensive player. Not someone who hit .267 last year and only .258 since coming to the NL. Also, last year was the first year his hit more than 30 homers. He's never had more than 108 rbis in year. I don't don't why Beltran, who is basically a 30hr, 100rbi, below .300 hitter, is all the sudden worth 17 mil a year. Those types of hitters are a dime a dozen. I'll also be interested in seeing how he handles the pressure of a huge contract to play up to and playing in a big market, as opposed to small market teams such as Houston and KC. He better hope he gets off to a hot start or he'll probably get eaten alive by the media there.

So basically what I'm saying is, don't be surprised if the Mets finish in 3rd and around .500 again this year. Behind my Braves.  :P

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 10, 2005, 04:17 PM »
Looks like the Cubs may land Magglio Ordonez.  Which I like but not if Sammy is traded to the Mets.   I think Sammy will snap out of his 2004 funk this season. 

Corey Patterson - CF
Nomar Garciaparra - SS
Magglio Ordonez - LF
Aramis Ramirez - 3B
Sammy Sosa - RF
Derrek Lee - 1B
Todd Walker  - 2b
Michael Barret - C

I like that lineup except that there are not many lefties.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #704 on: January 11, 2005, 01:27 PM »
Unless he's on some new kind of Juice, I think Sammy's slump may be permanent