Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 117555 times)

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #540 on: October 26, 2004, 12:05 AM »
you seem to be very close minded on this topic. there are thousands of people that would die for a chance to play in tampa. I would have to say you are the minority when you would choose not to play if your only option was to play in tampa or not play.
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #541 on: October 26, 2004, 12:14 AM »
I think the point is...there shouldn't be a cap without revenue sharing

Since there won't be revenue sharing there won't be a cap.  A cap by itself is stupid. 

Players would play in Tampa if they had the money to spend.  Since they do play in a small market in a crap stadium with a horrible they'll never compete.  But if there was revenue sharing/salary cap in place they and every other team would have a chance.  I don't see why people would be against that, its is part of the reason the NFL (which really can't be compared to baseball economics) is so exciting.  Every year your team has a chance to go all the way as the Bucs and Panthers and Rams have shown over the last 4 years.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 26, 2004, 03:23 PM »
you seem to be very close minded on this topic. there are thousands of people that would die for a chance to play in tampa. I would have to say you are the minority when you would choose not to play if your only option was to play in tampa or not play.

I'm the close minded one even though more people agree w/ me that Tampa is a crap team w/ a crap stadium in a crappy part of Florida?  And I'm also the close minded one when myself and others have given you reason that a cap won't work?  AND I'm the close minded one because I wouldn't play in Florida yet you claim thousands would? 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 05:10 PM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 26, 2004, 11:36 PM »
I'm surprised at how poorly St. Louis has been playing so far.  After two incredible league championship series, the world series has been a major letdown so far.  I was hoping for something a little more competitive than this.  St. Louis comes back home and almost gets shutout?  That's weak.

So, anyone want to place bets on whether we'll see another miracle comeback from 3-0 down?   :P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #544 on: October 26, 2004, 11:37 PM »
Sox go up 3-0!  One win away from breaking "the curse" duh duh duh...and a sign the Apocalypse is upon us...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #545 on: October 26, 2004, 11:47 PM »
GO RED SOX!

Dang, Pedro looked good tonight.  I was worried for the Sox pitching after they were so beat up (and the debacle in game 1 with all those runs scored), but man they are pitching on fire now...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 27, 2004, 07:56 AM »
Giddy with excitement and yet still nervous.  I don't expect the Cards to go quietly into the night.  For some reason I still think this is going 6 games, but would love to be wrong.

Go Red Sox, just one more win.  Bring it on home, boys.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 27, 2004, 02:05 PM »
I agree.  This series, with all its hype, has been a tremendous disappointment thus far.  But I said it at the start of the playoffs: If the Cards pitching holds up, they will win the World Series.  Thus far, not one of their starters has made it past the 5th.  Result?  0-3 hole. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 02:05 PM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 27, 2004, 11:43 PM »
Ze discussion of ze curse is now a moot point.  Congrats to the Red Sox.  Mikey, lock the doors :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #549 on: October 28, 2004, 12:08 AM »
My hats off to all of you long suffering and now relieved and joyous Red Sox fans.  Being a Vikings fan and hearing year after year from the Green and Gold Cheese Brains I know a little of what you have suffered.  Granted, 43 years is only half of 86 years but having your team be so good for so long and have them not win it all is something that I keep the faith in, some day my team will finally win the big one and watching the World Series has reminded me of that.  Tip one back for me and enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #550 on: October 28, 2004, 12:09 AM »
Kudos to Douggy M and David Ortiz on winning a ring, too bad rich bastard didn't keep you around to do it here instead

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #551 on: October 28, 2004, 12:49 AM »
Congrats to the Red Sox Nation!  Now they just have to kill that goat in Chicago...  :-X

Looks like a partyin Beantown!  I called my bro (who lives in New Haven, CT) and he said the bars there were just nuts!

Kudos to Douggy M and David Ortiz on winning a ring, too bad rich bastard didn't keep you around to do it here instead

:'(  Ain't it the truth... stupid rich bastard!  >:(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 28, 2004, 01:09 AM »
This series, with all its hype, has been a tremendous disappointment thus far.

Most definitely.  Aside from the Sox finally lifting their supposed "curse" and a little bit of excitement in game 1, this series was a complete and total bore.  One of the worst ever IMO.  The Cardinals were absolutely pathetic, beyond the point of just "good pitching beats good hitting", though that certainly played a part in it.  But the Red Sox have just been unstoppable the last couple weeks in winning 8 in a row.

But congrats to Beantown and all of it's long suffering fans.  Must be nice to get that monkey off your back!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 28, 2004, 07:50 AM »
Boston Red Sox - 2004 World Series Champions!  I can't believe I actually just wrote that.  It's all still a blur and the full brunt of it hasn't hit me yet.  I'm sure it's going to hit me hard suddenly during the day and I'll fully realized what my team just accomplished.

Thank you, you bunch of idiots!  Congratulations Boston Red Sox - 2004 World Series Champions.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 28, 2004, 10:00 AM »