Author Topic: NFL Offseason 2004  (Read 51042 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Offseason '04
« Reply #15 on: March 4, 2004, 09:32 AM »
Management is officially saying these trade rumors are complete BS, they aren't shopping Moss to anyone...

Well that would seem to confirm that he is gone.  Oh wait sorry I'm still thinking about Tom Hicks and A-Rod.

I'll have to say this is a pretty lively Free Agency already just 36 hours into it.

Either that or in the last few years the Cowboys have had ZERO cap room so I just tuned it out.

I just hope we get a Quarterback.  Now that it looks like we have a receiver big enough and with guts enough to go across the middle, it would be nice to extend his playing life by having a QB that could throw the ball in front of him, instead of behind him.  

And of course not to get picky, but I'm not to thrilled with the prospect of Drew Henson, we already have a failed baseball player who wants to be a QB in Hutchinson and he can't even beat out Quincy....

What scares me is the amount of $$ all our Division Opponents are spending. If it was Spurrier in Washington, I would just be laughing, but at least Joe Gibbs knows what a Pro System looks like.

And on a final note....Indianapolis has bankrupt their future on a Choke artist.  I cry for the memory of Johnny Unitis and for the current Career of Ricky Williams (formerly of Texas Tech not the Dreadlocked freak from UT)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: March 4, 2004, 09:44 AM »
The Redskins should remember 1999 when they blew loads of cash and got absolutely nothin'...Brunell is washed up.  They stole Portis though and by signing Springs have an adequate replacement for Bailey

Bears signed Thomas Jones...I'm sure the A-Train is happy about that one

Heard a couple of rumors that were intriguing...

TO to Philly or Balt (Philly would be scary if they get TO although their D is getting hit bad losing Vincent and Taylor)

Charlie Garner to Denver...that would be a great fit too

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 4, 2004, 09:58 AM »

Heard a couple of rumors that were intriguing...

TO to Philly or Balt (Philly would be scary if they get TO although their D is getting hit bad losing Vincent and Taylor)

It would hurt, but I don't think it would be devastating.  They drafted a couple players in the last few years knowing that Troy, Bobby or both would be leaving.  The "young ens" have played some solid ball in place of those two when they were injured.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: March 4, 2004, 01:46 PM »
Looks like Keyshawn to the Cowboys might not happen...no way to take on his signing bonus hit and Galloway's contract...and sign Garcia and Sapp... ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: March 4, 2004, 04:14 PM »
TO goes to Baltimore for a 2nd Round Pick...Hey MN you needed a receiver didn't you...a Second Round Pick, are you kidding me!  Shakes head in disgust

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: March 7, 2004, 11:52 PM »
Now TO says he wants to go to Philly, they had a deal worked out and everything.  I think SF really screwed him on that one, I don't blame them though, why would they trade him to someone in the NFC???

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: March 8, 2004, 03:17 PM »
Mikey...you've probably seen Antoine Winfield play more than anyone else here since he was in the AFC East and Buffalo...got an opinion on him.  The Vikes sure are high on him, but 6 picks in 5 years seems pretty low for a CB...they say he's got hands of stone as well :-[

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 8, 2004, 03:23 PM »
I don't know too much about him but they say he's the second best CB on the market behind Champ Bailey.  I think Miami was after him too and being in the same division, they would know what type of player he is.  Might be a good fit for the Vikes.  What they give up for him?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: March 8, 2004, 03:28 PM »
6 Years $35 million, $13 million signing bonus...part of the reason they say his interceptions are so low is that he rarely gets thrown at...anyone is better than Denard Walker or Ken Irvin who they had playing in rotation last year.  Vikes are still $22 under the cap for next year...too bad they didn't make a push for Wistrom, kearse or TO :-\

I'd like to see them go after Darrell Jackson too

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 8, 2004, 03:36 PM »
He did sign?  It wasn't Miami, but the Jets who were after him.  Apparently they had a deal in principle (6 years, $30 million) but Winfield backed out.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: March 8, 2004, 03:40 PM »
Yeah he signed on Friday, the Jets had him all but locked up on Thursday night, he came to MN anyway and signed by Friday afternoon

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: March 8, 2004, 03:42 PM »
Yeah he signed on Friday, the Jets had him all but locked up on Thursday night, he came to MN anyway and signed by Friday afternoon

I read on espn.com that his wife didn't want to move to Long Island and that they liked MN better because all the snow on Friday reminded them of Buffalo.  Maybe that was his "make-nice" with the press though...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 9, 2004, 12:01 PM »
Somebody poke me with a stick when Dallas actually does something in the offseason. GEEEZZ, I realize Jeff Garcia is not the answer to our QB problems but this is a multiple choice question where you have to pick the "MOST CORRECT" answer.  I am writing a letter now telling Jerry to just let the RB's take direct snaps for the 2004 season to alleviate any Quincy factor, oh wait, we don't have an RB either do we?  In a Free Agent season when only the Giants in our division are doing less....and I thought that this would be the year to see Parcells do something.

Somebody wake me up when training camp starts, I'll use last years program, its not like there will be any additions. UGH.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #28 on: March 9, 2004, 01:55 PM »
We'll still get Keyshawn. We're way under the cap. The Bucs are just going to cut him. With Keyshawn, we can afford to cut Galloway before his signing bonus kicks in. Galloway was a failed bit. He showed signs of greatness but showed no consistency. He's a really nice guy and a team player (which he didn't have that rep before he got here) but Parcells would rather have that big possession receiver than the speedy guy who drops alot of bombs, anyway.

Keyshawn will have a star on his helmet, soon. He's already closing the deal on a house here.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 01:34 PM by SPIDERLEGS »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2004, 12:28 PM »
Garcia to the Browns is interesting, I think it just cements the fact that the 49ers are going to be awful next year

Vikes signed Marcus Robinson to line up with Moss, nice pick up, still need an DE and LB, they are talking about those two for the draft, we also really need a Kicker...all of these signings mean jack **** if the dude can't make 40 yard field goals