Author Topic: Lakers suck  (Read 30608 times)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: Lakers suck
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2006, 11:57 AM »
Kobe is sick.  81 points is just unreal.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2006, 01:07 PM »
Kobe is sick.  81 points is just unreal.

Exactly.  When I first read it in print this morning, it didn't register with me what I was reading.  Seeing that I wasn't alive in '62 when Wilt scored 100, that amount of points just doesn't seem possible.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2006, 02:02 PM »
What's crazy is that he was still 19 shy of the record.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2006, 05:58 PM »
Yeah, this is impressive.  I think Jordan had 69 in one game.  I figured nobody would probably get much more than that.  I mean it's Jordan.  But 81?  Wow!  Impressive this day in age. 

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2006, 09:08 PM »
insane. im sad cuz i had to watch the clips on ESPN  :'(
Kobe will break 100pts before he finishes his career 

KOBE = MVP!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2006, 09:27 PM »

KOBE = MVP!

Kobe = ball hog + Lakers are lame.  Nice team game Mr. Bryant.  Fascinating that Kobe and Phil are on such a plane together, maybe then can get the other four bodies on the floor to clear out every time down the floor, that'd be fun to watch ::) :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2006, 11:04 PM »

KOBE = MVP!

Kobe = ball hog + Lakers are lame.  Nice team game Mr. Bryant.  Fascinating that Kobe and Phil are on such a plane together, maybe then can get the other four bodies on the floor to clear out every time down the floor, that'd be fun to watch ::) :P
Brent nailed my thoughts on this

« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 11:06 PM by Scott »

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Straight up rocket scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2006, 07:15 AM »
I still don't think Kobe is going to win the MVP this year even if he does average 36 PPG.  I think the award is for the player most valuable to their team, but on a team that wins.  And we all know the Lakers are going nowhere.  I'd say Dirk Nowitzki (31-10 Mavericks), Chauncey Billups (33-5 Pistons), Steve Nash (26-14 Suns) or even Timmy! (31-10 Spurs) is going to win the award.  Even if the Lakers make the playoffs they are going out in a round or two and they are not winning a championship this year or anytime soon.
If you vote for me all of your wildest dreams will come true.  Thank you.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2006, 08:00 AM »
I still don't think Kobe is going to win the MVP this year even if he does average 36 PPG.  I think the award is for the player most valuable to their team, but on a team that wins.  And we all know the Lakers are going nowhere.  I'd say Dirk Nowitzki (31-10 Mavericks), Chauncey Billups (33-5 Pistons), Steve Nash (26-14 Suns) or even Timmy! (31-10 Spurs) is going to win the award.  Even if the Lakers make the playoffs they are going out in a round or two and they are not winning a championship this year or anytime soon.

Agreed.  I do think Kobe means more to his team than any of the players you mentioned, but unless they somehow manage to win close to 50 games, he won't win the MVP.  And he won't break Wilt's record of 100 points.  As amazing as his 81 points were, he was still 19 away from the record.
Also, let's not forget LeBron James when we talk about possible MVP candidates.
 ;)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2006, 09:15 AM »
I don't know about that guys.  You stick Kobe Bryant on the most any NBA team and he would be very, very valuable don't you think? 

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2006, 10:13 AM »
I don't know about that guys.  You stick Kobe Bryant on the most any NBA team and he would be very, very valuable don't you think? 

Of course he would.  But that doesn't mean he'll win the MVP.  Being a lifetime fan of Michael Jordan, I know how the voters work.  Realistically, Jordan should've been the MVP every season he played in (except for his first two seasons, his first comeback season, and the Washington Wizards years) ... but he "only" won the award five times.  In 1989, Jordan played point guard for half of the season.  He averaged (AVERAGED!!!) 32.5 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 assits for an entire season, and he didn't win the MVP award.  That year, he had something like 15+ triple doubles, and a string of 7 or 8 games straight with a TD.  Still no MVP.  The award doesn't always go to the best player ... as exibited last year by Steve Nash winning it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 10:15 AM by Darth Rayne »

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2006, 07:13 PM »
kobe can ball hog all he likes.  nothing delights me more than seeing him score 50+ and the lakers losing.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2006, 05:38 PM »

Of course he would.  But that doesn't mean he'll win the MVP.  Being a lifetime fan of Michael Jordan, I know how the voters work.  Realistically, Jordan should've been the MVP every season he played in (except for his first two seasons, his first comeback season, and the Washington Wizards years) ... but he "only" won the award five times.  In 1989, Jordan played point guard for half of the season.  He averaged (AVERAGED!!!) 32.5 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 assits for an entire season, and he didn't win the MVP award.  That year, he had something like 15+ triple doubles, and a string of 7 or 8 games straight with a TD.  Still no MVP.  The award doesn't always go to the best player ... as exibited last year by Steve Nash winning it.

He may or he may not.  But I certaintly don't think he should be banned from the  short list of MVP caliber players this year either.  I am no fan of his by any means but he sure as heck can play and is quite valuable.  I think he is at least up there on the MVP list for this season minus his 81 point performance the other night.  That's all I meant by it. 

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #58 on: February 5, 2006, 12:51 AM »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 1, 2006, 12:43 PM »
Kobe- DIDN't get the MVP ;D --Since the lakers are a really sub-500 team without him, he probably should have gotten it, but...I hate him so I'm glad he did not.

However, Somehow..someway Dr. Phil has been able to get Kobe to buy in the the 'share' program that's allowing the Lakers to play better team basketball in the playoffs. This coupled with the sun's never having a defense and still don't in the playoffs = Suns getting thrashed in Round 1 so far ::).

No surprise who gets to shoot game winning shots still...    ::)

Hating the Lakers is a good thing ;D