Author Topic: New Swami Rumors - more repacks???  (Read 4689 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
New Swami Rumors - more repacks???
« on: April 30, 2004, 11:19 PM »
The front page (via GalacticHunter) is reporting that the Swami has now said to look out for the possibility of:

Bib Fortuna
General Veers
Gammorean Guard
Hoth Vader

These all scream re-pack...

I'm starting to think there might not be any more new figures this year - of course, repacks are easy and they could still release new figures on top of this...

If they were new sculpts - I'd be cool with all of these except another vader....

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: New Swami Rumors - more repacks???
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 11:30 PM »
The front page (via GalacticHunter) is reporting that the Swami has now said to look out for the possibility of:

Bib Fortuna
General Veers
Gammorean Guard
Hoth Vader

These all scream re-pack...

I'm starting to think there might not be any more new figures this year - of course, repacks are easy and they could still release new figures on top of this...

If they were new sculpts - I'd be cool with all of these except another vader....

Veers was hideous.  If this one is repacked, rather than giving us a nice imperial uniformed Veers with maybe a removable helmet and torso armor, this will go down as one of Hasbro's worst 5 moves ever.

I mean, that Veers with the AT AT is awful.

On the other hand, the Gamorrean Guard was actually pretty good.  Got one right in front of me now and the sculpt and likeness are pretty good for it's time.

We need a new Bib, but still, reissuing the old one wouldn't be nearly as awful as reissuing that Veers thing.

I couldn't care less about Hoth Vader.  I'll put some snowflakes on one of the 18 Vaders I already have.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 11:33 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: May 1, 2004, 12:25 AM »
I'm perplexed on if these are re-releases or "new" figure sculpts.

I'm hoping for the latter across the board though, and here's what I'd love to see...

-Veers...  Removable helmet, Removable armor, removable Kepi Officer's Cap, and if we're REAL lucky an officer's warbelt with working holster.  This figure would require dozens of purchases from me just for army building.  Perfect Imp. Officer builder right there.  Great!

-Gammorean Guard...  I like the original, but I'd take a new, more poseable one.  And idealy, one with a working holster, and a removable hat (for customizing of course).  That'd be some great figure right there.

-Bib Fortuna...  Definitely needs redone.  One of the top worst figures in the modern line left to be resculpted, IMO.  Ideal, again, would be him having a hidden blaster holster with a tiny pistol under his cloak...  I personally would like a softgoods Fortuna, but I know others wouldn't...  Still I'd take one if it were done well.

-Hoth Vader...  ???  Weird...  Snow on the shoes?  Then forget it.  I don't want that...  Holographic full scale Vader though?  Eh, I could stand it...  He's not really SEEN that way though, but I'd take him this way just for craps and giggles.  If he could kneel too, that'd be really neat.  

Vader with Snow on his feet is gonna suck though.  

That's what I'd like to see.  The Veers is my especially strong wish though.  That, to me, would be a great figure, and even better if it's decently articulated.  I'd go nuts for that figure, but I'm going to just not hold my breath at the moment.

GH.com's Swami seemed zealous to post that though, and why would they hold back the names of some more repacks if that was what they were gonna do, ya know?  Hmmm....
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 1, 2004, 01:25 AM »
Agreed to all points above.  That Veers is one of the worst figures of the modern line.

Of these, the one I'd like resculpted the most would be bib fortuna - but I'd take all of these - although I don't think another vader sculpt is necessary given the VOTC one coming out - which is also what leads me to think these will be repacks - two new vader sculpts at essentially the same time seems like a bit much.

That, and I wouldn't put anything past Hasbro at this point.  If they're redone to the caliber of the Skiff Lando, Dengar, General Lando etc... resculpt - I'm all for it.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 1, 2004, 09:36 AM »
Yeah I was excited there could be a new Veers and Bib, but then reality set in.  It's highly likely they are just repacks.  I hope not.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 1, 2004, 11:32 AM »
Yeah I was excited there could be a new Veers and Bib, but then reality set in.  It's highly likely they are just repacks.  I hope not.

Can you imagine how out of place that General Veers pack-in  would look carded with the other figures.

Is there anyone that thinks that Veers is not one of the worst 20 figures in the 1995 - present era?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 1, 2004, 03:46 PM »
As bad as the Veers is (and I don't actually dislike that figure; I would just really like to see an updated version with today's advances in sculpting/articulation/accessories), I'm actually more confused at the reissue of the Scanning Crew Trooper in its POTF2 incarnation.  I mean, I know that a lot of people voted for it to be rereleased, but that thing is hideous.  That figure is one of the worst I've seen in the modern era.  Veers doesn't even come close for me.

All Hasbro needs to do now is a subset of "our most questionable figures" as part of the OTC assortments.  It would include:

-Bespin Security Guard (from Carbonite Freezing Chamber)
-Nuclear  Disarmament Treaty Violation R5-D4
-Dash Rendar and his uneven legs
-Monkey Leia
-He-Man Luke Skywalker
-Red Leader from the recent X-Wing Fighter
-Han Solo in AT-ST Driver Disguise (am I the only one who still thinks this was the most ridiculous thing made in the recent history of POTJ/Saga?)

And hey, even if the four figures that this swami guy at the opening of his report are resculpts, what's the chance of us actually finding them at retail?  By that time, the OTC recard disaster will be in full swing, and we'll be lucky to see a new figure until Episode III comes out.

Damn right I'm catastrophizing.  ;D

SilverZ

« Reply #7 on: May 1, 2004, 05:26 PM »
-Bib Fortuna...  Definitely needs redone.  One of the top worst figures in the modern line left to be resculpted, IMO.  Ideal, again, would be him having a hidden blaster holster with a tiny pistol under his cloak...  I personally would like a softgoods Fortuna, but I know others wouldn't...  Still I'd take one if it were done well.

Yeah, I'd be OK with soft goods, except that his black cloak is really complex if you look at pics, and it's probably better to play it safe and go plastic. The figure sure would be easier for them to do right now, considering his costume is so similar to the long robes and complex ornaments that they've been doing since E1 with all the Senate garb. I can't stand the headsculpt on the POTF2 one.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: May 6, 2004, 01:44 PM »
I'd say they are new figures first...3 of those (Veers, Fortuna and the Guard) all are pretty old POTF2 versions

The other thing is that a lot of people over at RS and here when I did the Wishlist threads want a new Veers.  He'd be a good figure and a last of the big Imperial Officers to be carded (Piett and Tarkin both need resculpts too BTW)

The Vader is interesting, a Holo version would be cool but I don't think that is what it is, he's got a different cape on when he storms Echo Base and that is what I think it is

Fortuna...I'm still not sold on the need for a resculpt, a cloth robe would be cool but I'm fairly happy with the POTF2 one.

Same goes for the Guard, he really falls in the Bossk category of the POTF2 version exceeds most Saga figures and doesn't need an update

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 6, 2004, 02:28 PM »
I would certainly hope that the General Veers would come with a small, holographic Darth Vader similar to the small, holographic Darth Sidious that came with the Count Dooku figure.  That seems to make the most sense.  Otherwise, I think we'd just be getting another ordinary Darth Vader.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 03:25 PM »
I'm actually starting to lean toward Repack on these and thats only because of some of the info I've been receiving in the past few days :-\  I hope I'm wrong though