Author Topic: Ever see people at the movies who don't belong???  (Read 4128 times)

Offline Becky

• Youngling
  • Peace..
    • View Profile
Re: Ever see people at the movies who don't belong???
« Reply #15 on: April 6, 2004, 12:45 AM »
I see people ever week that do not really belong:  my mom and my aunt.  They are both in their late 50's.  I take them to the movies once a week with me.  I have taken them to all kinds of sci-fi movies, horror, etc.  I know, that they are normally not their types of movies, but they usually enjoy them.  Tomorrow night, we are going to see Hellboy.  I am sure, they will have their own insight into the film which makes the night all the more interesting.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 6, 2004, 09:08 PM »
ROFL! I was watching 'This just in...' on SpikeTVTM and the black charachter was trying to order Hellboy tickets from Movie Phone, and it went somthing like this:"You are trying to order tickets for Hellboy! But, because your black, we all know you'll talk through the entire movie! So, you really want to see this zany family movie trip movie!"

I laughed for 15 minutes solid, no lie.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 03:55 PM »
Just reading through some older threads here today, and found this one.  Although this is a couple years removed now, we had an experience of "people who don't belong" at the movies.  We went to see Clerks 2 at a matinee showing back when it was released, and saw two women - aged 70+ - walk into the theater.  We figured "they must be in the wrong theater", and guessed they would leave shortly after seeing the opening credits.  Well, they stayed about half way or 2/3 of the way through the movie before getting up, gesturing at the screen, and saying "eeeeh" and walking out.  It was pretty funny.  Probably about the last movie I'd expect to see two older women at.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 04:24 PM »
Well to add another experience...

The second Weekend of "Saving Private Ryan" I saw a guy with his two young kids (had to have been 3 and 6 or so) at the time I wasn't a Dad yet and was shocked.  Heck, as many WWII Vets as we there, I felt like I did not belong.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 04:42 PM »
When Sex & the City came out my Wife and I went to see it.  So I guess I was the one out of the place in that theater.  Though about half of the people there were well over 70, so I guess I wasn't the only one out of place...
I am not the Stig

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 09:41 PM »
Three experiences come to mind upon reading this thread.

The first had to do with South Park.  Two buddies and I went to go see that and were shocked at how many soccor moms had brought their 7-10 year olds.  It didn't take long into 'Uncle ******' for them to go sprinting out of the theater, children in tow.

The second was when my wife and I went to see Bad Santa the year it came out.  I was again shocked to see so many really young (3-7 year olds) children in the theater with their parents.  However, what was more shocking was that the families stayed to watch the entire movie.

Last one was just recently with The Dark Knight.  A family came in, two parents and three boys.  The boys couldn't have been any older than 3, 5, and 7.  After the movie was over, I was really taken aback that the parents brought those young kids to see that movie...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 10:10 AM »
We have one particular theater around here that is notorious for bad audience experiences, and yet, my buddy and I will go on occasion just to see if the streak continues. There's always people bringing 5 year olds into R-rated movies, or talkative kids, who certainly don't belong, but the experience that will always keep us going back? The last time my buddy and I went, we sat in the back row and there's a walk space between the row and the back wall. A young couple came in at one point and had sex right behind us.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 05:29 PM »
Three experiences come to mind upon reading this thread.

The first had to do with South Park.  Two buddies and I went to go see that and were shocked at how many soccor moms had brought their 7-10 year olds.  It didn't take long into 'Uncle ******' for them to go sprinting out of the theater, children in tow.

The second was when my wife and I went to see Bad Santa the year it came out.  I was again shocked to see so many really young (3-7 year olds) children in the theater with their parents.  However, what was more shocking was that the families stayed to watch the entire movie.

Last one was just recently with The Dark Knight.  A family came in, two parents and three boys.  The boys couldn't have been any older than 3, 5, and 7.  After the movie was over, I was really taken aback that the parents brought those young kids to see that movie...

I understand Batman, especially if you don't know what you're getting into.  It's Batman, for crying out loud.  I originally bought tickets for my four year old and eight year old to attend (family day!!), but due to some scheduling issues, decided to have them go play with cousins and take my brothers instead, and the plan was just to take the kids another time.  Thank God my brothers went, because it ain't a movie for kids.  But when I bought the tickets, I had no idea....

I wouldn't have walked out with my kids, but I sure would have had some explaining to do...

(For the record, I am a horrible father and have subjected both of my kids to terrifying movies at home.  My son is certain he will die by having his brains eaten by zombies, thanks in no small part to me watching Dawn of the Dead (the new one) with him for Halloween a couple of weeks after his second birthday.)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 05:31 PM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 05:30 PM »
The rating didn't give it away?

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 05:32 PM »
Nah.  **** that ratings ****.  Batman Begins was PG-13, and they've both seen that one a hundred times.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 09:18 AM »
Basically any movie that my Brother takes his kids to.

Harry Poter - Order of the Phoenix
There's Something About Mary

He rents movies and lets them watch them (TSAM), or since I had seen OOTP and knew what it was like I advised him against taking his 7 year old and he did it anyways. His feeling is that they can handle anything regarding movies no matter the rating.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 10:04 AM »
Since I work in the industry, I get to hear some first and second hand complaints about what people consider inappropriate material for their kids. A friend of mine who works for an executive at Disney told me recently about a phone call complaint she got (that she shouldn't have got since regular people shouldn't be routed to her line) from an irate mother about the content of a particular touchstone or mirimax movie, and you'll have to forgive me because I forgot the title, it may have been Wanted. This woman was irate, screaming at my friend. This woman had taken her 13 year old and 8 year old sons to this extremely violent movie, but it wasn't the guns, guts or swearing that was objectionable. It was the brief nudity toward the end of the movie.  ???
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 12:22 PM »
I hope that your friend told her that the movie was rated R, and that she was an idiot for expecting it to be ok for children.

Here's the info from IMDB's parent guide on Wanted:

Sex & Nudity
2 brief sex scenes (bare male buttocks seen).

Angelina Jolie is shown full nude from the back.

Violence & Gore
Gore and bloody deaths throughout.

Profanity
375 F words, and repeated uses of ****

Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking

Frightening/Intense Scenes
A scene involves human corpses hanging from a ceiling.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.