Author Topic: Freaks and Geeks: Anyone a fan?  (Read 8541 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Freaks and Geeks: Anyone a fan?
« on: April 4, 2004, 04:40 PM »
Anyone else remember this show which (sporadically) aired four-to-five years ago on NBC?

I watched it when I could back then, and really liked it.

And now, after several years of internet petitions and such, it's finally getting released on DVD this month--in both a $50 six-disc set, and in a limited $120 eight-disc set, packaged as a yearbook from the high school from the show.  

I have heard so many good things so far about these sets--I've got the regular set ordered from Amazon, and am really looking forward to going through all 18 episodes over the next few weeks.

Fantastic, underappreciated series--both for this guy:

and for the Star Wars references scattered throughout (the show is set in 1980--and it feels like about that long since I've seen an episode. . .)

Anyone else like/love this show?
« Last Edit: April 4, 2004, 04:47 PM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Freaks and Geeks: Anyone a fan?
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2004, 11:35 PM »
I used to watch it, but didn't religiously.  The Gym episodes were so hauntingly realistic...  Uh, not for me of course, I was an athletic god, and stuff.   ;D

It was underappreciated, and part of the show's problem was that it was on at like 8 on a Friday wasn't it?  Old people watch shows at 8 on Friday...  And well, freaks and geeks.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 5, 2004, 09:12 AM »
I really liked that show and am happy to see it comming out on DVD. I watched it whenever I could find it on. And for me it also seemed like some parts were from my high school days as well.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 5, 2004, 10:13 AM »
We used to watch this show, although somewhat sporadically as well.  My wife was actually the one who watched it first, and just when we starting enjoying it, it was gone.  As it was said, it was unappreciated....and probably the product of bad scheduling.  That seems to happen to a lot of good shows anymore.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #4 on: April 6, 2004, 08:47 PM »
I thought it was the best show on television back when it aired. I couldn't believe they took it off. I even signed one of those bogus online petitions to get  it back on the air. What a great show. I will be making this purchase for sure.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 6, 2004, 09:11 PM »
I watched quite a few episodes, back when my mom was going through her 'I wish I was still young in the 80's kick'.

I always laughed myself silly (I was less educated than I am now) that the initials for Freaks and Geeks was F.A.G.'s :P

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 01:43 PM »
So, I finished up the eighteenth and final episode yesterday, and man, how bittersweet.  What a great show.  I guess I'd only seen maybe four or five of the fifteen episodes that NBC aired back in '99 and 2000, and I really wished that I would have watched 'em all (with around four or five million other people--so that it could have continued).

I thought there were a bunch of Star Wars references before, in the few episodes that I saw, but they're all over the place throughout the whole series:

• Darth Vader Time Magazine cover on the inside of a character's locker
  • Darth Vader poster on the back of a character's bedroom door
  • C-3PO and Artoo-Detoo poster on a character's bedroom wall
  • Artoo-Detoo and C-3PO alarm clock
  • Kenner Darth Vader carrying case
  • Kenner Turret & Probot Playset
  • Kenner X-Wing Fighter
  • Kenner AT-AT Walker
  • Kenner Cloud Car
  • Star Wars bedsheets and bedspread
  • Star Wars pajamas
  • Homemade Yoda and Luke Skywalker costumes (for a sci-fi convention!)
  • Kenner "The Force" lightsaber
  • Multiple Star Wars references in dialogue
There were a couple of things I couldn't make out, along with a few things that I probably missed altogether, but it was almost like watching E.T. or Poltergeist--Star Wars all over the place.

Awesome DVD set, too--six discs, 18 episodes, 29 commentaries (!!!) from the guys behind the show, and (almost) the entire cast (some even in character), all the way to the NBC "suits", and even the Internet fans.  Plus, several deleted scenes from every episode, along with a few other behind-the-scenes clips.

You guys who have never seen this show--most of us grew up right around this same time--owe it to yourself to check it out for all of the Star Wars stuff, and then the fantastic writing, characters, and stories will reel you in.

Seriously, I know that spending $50 on a DVD set of a series you've never seen seems awfully silly, but try to at least rent it from your local rental store if they carry it, or to get it from Netflix or something.

It's that good.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 01:52 PM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Pistol Pete

• Youngling
  • Maul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 02:54 PM »
This was an absolute great show and the idiots at NBC ruined it, way better than the Wonder Years ever was and look at how long that went on
Bang Bang

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 04:05 PM »
A little late on this bandwagon, but who cares.

I usually end up throwing money away when I buy something impulsively, but I saw this set leering at me and couldn't help it, so I dropped the $50 having never seen the show, but going off of some of your recommendations (Virex never leads anyone too far astray...).

Damn, it's such a good, character driven, well-written show.  No wonder it got creamed in the ratings.  This show is a perfect example of why some programs need a little time.  The kids really developed into their characters; the only good actors in the first episode were James Franco, Linda Cardellini, and Samm Levine, but by about the seventh episode, all of the actors had come into their own and the show was really rolling along.

Linda/Lindsey is such a babe, too.  She's freaking Velma from the Scooby Doo movies.  What a fall from grace....

James Franco gives me all kinds of man love goosebumps.  What a babe.

And all the Star Wars stuff....just awesome.  On that note, I noticed something a little...well...convenient.  Lots of the episodes were either written or directed, or both, by Jake Kasdan, who is Lawrence Kasdan's kid.  Lawrence, as we all know, was the writer for The Empire Strikes Back, so there's obviously an in.

Another thing I noticed was that another frequent contributor to the writing and/or directing was Rebecca Kirshner (she's also apparently done a lot of work on Wheadon's Buffy series).  And Irvin Kirshner, of course, directed TESB.  That's not a terribly common last name.  IMDB doesn't say anything about a relationship, but I'm willing to bet there's something there.

Anyway, it's a great show.  Eighteen episodes for fifty bucks is a great deal, and well worth it.  Haven't watched any with the commentaries yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 05:41 PM »
OTS, but I think I'm the only person in the world who seldom listensto the commentary. Is that wrong of me?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2004, 10:26 PM »
OTS, but I think I'm the only person in the world who seldom listensto the commentary. Is that wrong of me?

I've listened to exactly two commentaries: Kevin Smith and Co. on Clerks, and Joss Whedon for Buffy the Vampire Slayer's episode "The Body".

So you're not the only one. :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 10:47 PM »

I attempted to listen to the comentary of Jason X and grew bored with it.

I may watch it on the punisher.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 05:44 AM »

The cast and crew reunite for Vanity Fair

Photos: The Exclusive Freaks and Geeks Reunion

Paul Feig: What Would’ve Happened to Every Character in Freaks and Geeks’ Lost Second Season (Drugs! Pregnancies! Republicanism!)

Love this show even more today than I did almost nine years ago

Complete series is currently available through Netflix Instant Streaming, for those who have never seen it, and for those who might like to see it again

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 02:48 PM »
It airs on something like the Indie channel or something like that.  I watch it when it's on usually.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 09:23 PM »
To this day I can't believe NBC never gave the show a fair shot. They botched this one almost as bad as FOX did with Firefly.
"This is the way."