Author Topic: ESB 25th Anniversary Sets?  (Read 6817 times)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
ESB 25th Anniversary Sets?
« on: December 6, 2002, 07:59 PM »
I just received Issue #122, Dec. 2002 of Lee's Toy Review and they talk about retailers discounting the ANH 25th Anniversary sets (Luke & Leia, Han & Chewy & Vader and Ben). At the end of it they say, "grab them now before the 25th Anniversary EMPIRE figures begin shipping!".

Hello? I have not heard or read a thing about a series like the ANH 25th being released for each film. If "Empire" is next, what are the sets? It's not the trash compactor sets is it? That is definitely not "Empire". I even scrolled through Galactic Hunters 'pirated' list of 2003 releases and nothing...

Anyone have any clue about this? While I would like to have broken this story and posted it on our site, I figure the forum elite are just as good as front page, and we may be able to help each other to get this to be an exclusive article here. Am I missing something, or is this news to anyone else? Please help and at least let me know if anyone knows anything about these...
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re:ESB 25th Anniversary Sets?
« Reply #1 on: December 6, 2002, 10:37 PM »
That's a very good question.  I'm gonna have to do some researching on that, because I too have not heard of any Empire 25th Anniversary sets coming out yet.
dustrho

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 7, 2002, 05:59 PM »
Sounds like editorial speculation from the writer at Lee's.  The 25th anniversary for Empire isn't for another 2 years (2005).  If there is any kind of Anniversary pack coming out, I might think it'd be a ROTJ 20th Anniversary set (1983-2003).
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: December 8, 2002, 01:05 AM »
Or it could be that it is an overall 25th Anniversary that is being extended beyond the 25th year and they will celebrate it by releasing 3 sets of these for every movie. I mean, the word 'Star wars' preceeds all of the movie titles. The Silver Anniversary is a major deal, so they may milk it for all it's worth...
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 8, 2002, 02:03 AM »
If that was indeed the case, then these pieces would most likely have shipped earlier in 2002.  You recall that the Silver Anniversary pieces all had a seal on them with "1977-2002".  And all three packs were classic scenes from A New Hope.   Hence, 2002 was the Silver Anniversary year for A New Hope.  Not a difficult concept to grasp.

The article might just be making the point of try to pick up the 25th anniversary pieces now.  They won't be around for much longer ( they've gone a clearance some time ago at target and tru).

One little blurb from a writer at Lee's does not equal an upcoming release.  We would have heard something by now for a 2002 release.  As for 2003, it seems unlikely that any kind of anniversary piece would be issued for the 23rd anniversary of the release of The Empire Strikes Back.

Feedback

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2002, 01:38 PM »
I'd have to agree with Nicklab.   Although, I'm sure we will be getting 25th Anniversary sets for Empire in 2005.

What would you like to see?  All my first ideas seem to involve secondary characters and all the first sets involve only the main characters.  I'm sure a Yoda - Luke set of some sort on Degobah, though would it be part of Luke's training, or Luke watching Yoda lift the X-Wing ... or something else all togther?   Probably a Luke & Vader confrontation on Bespin.   One with Chewie choking Lando (on his knees) & 3PO on Chewie's back would be hilarious, though probably wouldn't happen.  Perhaps Luke on his hospital bed with Leia kissing him (or about to)?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2002, 01:03 AM »
Hmmm, iconic scenes from TESB?

-The Spirit of Obi-Wan speaking to Luke on Hoth
-Leia kissing Han goodbye in the Carbon Freeze Chamber
-Vader revealing himself to be Anakin Skywalker to Luke
-Yoda meeting and beating R2-D2 "Mine!  Mine! Mine!"
-Chewie fixing Threepio in the detention cell

And that's really scraping the bottom, IMO.

Feedback

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2002, 01:10 AM »
Hmmm, iconic scenes from TESB?

-The Spirit of Obi-Wan speaking to Luke on Hoth
-Leia kissing Han goodbye in the Carbon Freeze Chamber
-Vader revealing himself to be Anakin Skywalker to Luke
-Yoda meeting and beating R2-D2 "Mine!  Mine! Mine!"
-Chewie fixing Threepio in the detention cell

And that's really scraping the bottom, IMO.

Yoda meeting and beating R2-D2 "Mine!  Mine! Mine!" LOL.
I would like to see that version electronic.  ;D

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
Re: ESB 25th Anniversary Sets?
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 12:32 PM »
As the collection expands, Hasbro seems less interested in bringing conmemorative sets
For the 30th anniversary of esb, we only saw the 3 packs that perform same vintage combos in the tvc line.