Author Topic: Ian McDiarmid now in ESB  (Read 5162 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Ian McDiarmid now in ESB
« on: April 8, 2004, 07:30 PM »

Just found this over at the Digital Bits.

That top image is, of course, actor Ian McDiarmid as Emperor Palpatine, newly inserted into The Empire Strikes Back in place of the original actor (bottom image). This image has been circulating around the Net for the last couple of days, and we know it's the real deal. One other scene we've been told by sources is being revamped is the CGI Jabba scene from A New Hope. Look for the digital Jabba to be replaced by a much better looking CG version (likely based on the Episode I digital model of the character).

Tell you what... I don't mind either of these changes. Better still, I'd eat a whole freakin' herd of Bantha if Lucas would just restore the Han/Greedo scene in A New Hope so that Han shoots first again. Anyone out there care to join me? Cross your fingers, folks... and fire up the barbecue pit.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2004, 07:32 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Ian McDiarmid now in ESB
« Reply #1 on: April 8, 2004, 07:54 PM »
I liked the original better. The new hologram doesn't have enough dark shadowing.

They could have placed a small tidbit of Prince Xizor's robe behind the Emperor (as Xizor was present at the time, according to Shadows of the Empire).

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 4, 2004, 06:51 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks for the head's up Jim!  I've heard this was one of the rumored eventual changes, but that shot seems to definitely confirm it.  Good change, but I kind of agree with Brad, that I'd like it to be a little more "shady" and holographic looking still (like the old one), but just with Ian's face in there instead...

Something doesn't look quite right with the new Emperor there too.  Looks too young, which shouldn't really be the case, since ESB takes place just a year before ROTJ, right?  Still a decent change though, I guess - for continuity's sake.

Looking forward to seeing the new Jabba for ANH.  Definitely couldn't be worse than the previous piece of $h!t they put in there.  Can't wait to see what other changes, if any, we might have in store for us.  I assume these are going to be on the new DVDs right, and these aren't going to be saved for some "Ultimate Boxset" later on down the line, after Ep. 3...?

Don't think you'll get an argument from anyone on restoring the "Han shoots first" scene either Jim!   ;)

Offline DualSaberMaster

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Oh great, it's Fett"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 6, 2004, 02:38 AM »
I don't know about that top pic. ???  To me it doesn't look like Ian McDiarmid,he seems to have somewhat of a resemblence(nose) but that's about it.  The person's face in that pic seems thinner and longer than Ian's.  Either it's some sort of Fan pic/work or it's a HORRIBLE job at recreating the Emperor's look from ROTJ.  Looks nothing like the creeping looking Emperor we all know and love. :-* :P
-Ricardo

"I'm like a bad penny, I always turn up"
"#1 Hater of PT Haters, OT+PT = SW Forever."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 11:55 PM »
Ewww, keep the old one! It looks better and makes the Emperor seem more evil and dark. You can't get that affect when you can see his whole face.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 12:08 AM »
Seems like the latest SWS.com exclusive might be a clue to what's happening here...

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 01:39 AM »
I prefer the original as well, I was actually very disappointed when I first watched Jedi, expecting him to look and sound like he did in Empire- much more sinister and omnipotent… the Jedi emperor reminded me more of the hag witch from Snow White.
 At least Lucas is consistent- over the years he continues to let me down.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 01:47 PM »
New Audio!!!

Kind of like it

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 02:42 PM »
I like it too!

Better than the Anakin/RotJ crap anyway...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 02:45 PM »
I really like it. After hearing this, I'm just not satisfied with the other voice. I even think the new dialogue is fitting! Its not like there's a huge addition or anything.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 02:45 PM »
The voice is a tad bit different but it makes the whole thing work wonderful

Now EU people enlighten me here...didn't Vader find out who Luke was in between ANH and ESB?

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 02:49 PM »
Well, Vader is definitely looking for Skywalker at the beginning of ESB, so I would assume he knows.

What I think is going on with the Emperor, is that he's really saying "Vader I know who you're looking for, so don't try to go around behind my back".
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 03:18 PM »
Good point Ed..."Hey I caught you, bring Skywalker to me"

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004, 07:51 PM »
is that ben's voice in there saying "search your feelings, lord vader"? they should have used ewan to record that part.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 12:07 AM »
is that ben's voice in there saying "search your feelings, lord vader"? they should have used ewan to record that part.
Nope, that's all McDiarmid