Author Topic: Sad to see SAGA end?  (Read 4692 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Sad to see SAGA end?
« on: April 13, 2004, 10:26 AM »
Well it looks as though the SAGA line is about to wrap things up as we are about to start the Original Trilogy Collection very soon.  Looks like all we have left is the Endor Lando wave...

Overall, I have been happy with the SAGA collection.  It has been nice to see a nice mix of prequel/classic figures, but I do think that the TPM figures have been somewhat neglected.  I consider the AOTC/SAGA line as one though because of the smooth transition Hasbro used in introducing characters from other films into it.

Will Hasbro do something similar to this once the initial EPIII figure rush dies down?  I hope so, it would be nice to see this tradition continue.  Will a later integrated line still be called SAGA?  Or will it be SAGA2?  Or POTJ2?  Or even POTF3?

Thoughts?

:P

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
Re: Sad to see SAGA end?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 11:32 AM »
It was inevitable to happen anyway with the emergence of EPIII...I think that it is cool that they are recarding some new figures on old cards...cool idea...they may be one of the few things that I do not open...

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 02:28 PM »
It seems likely that when EpIII comes out, that there will just be an EpIII line, right?  Thats how theyve done it in the past at least.  But after the movie buzz is over, they may return Saga.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 03:16 PM »
It will be interesting to see whether they decide to push EP3 on its own, or continue with a Saga based line.  I think a line representing the entire Saga is inevitable during or after EP3.  It's been fun.  On ward and upward!   ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 03:34 PM »
After a somewhat rocky start (with action features, and extreme poses), I think Saga is one of the best modern lines we've seen, maybe second to only POTJ.  Particularly in 2004, I think this line has been really good.  Maybe part of it is the fact that we got a lot of OT figures many of us have been hoping for this year, but I think overall the sculpts, articulation, poses, etc. have been quite well done.

I'm not sad to see it end from the standpoint that I'm really looking forward to those snazzy OTC cards, although much of that line looks to be re-releases.  I hope they continue on with that sort of theme though, and eventually get back to a "Saga" line after Episode III to encompass the whole she-bang.  It seems like Hasbro has done a really good job this year for the most part, knowing what we like and how to do things, hopefully much of that will continue in next year's movie year and beyond.  Saga had a nice run, with some great figures coming out of the bunch...I agree with Spuffy...onward and upward!

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 01:58 AM »
It will be interesting to see whether they decide to push EP3 on its own, or continue with a Saga based line.  I think a line representing the entire Saga is inevitable during or after EP3.  It's been fun.  On ward and upward!   ;)
In the past, they've pushed the movies on their own, and It seems like it does well when they do.  I dont see why they would change the pattern here.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 05:19 AM »
Well, Saga was born of EP2.  Hasbro decided to throw all in.  I think EP3 may be the same, unless - big unless - the OTC performs so well Hasbro decides to keep it around as one of the two collections.  You'd have the PTC (EP3 and the first two) along with the OTC to satisfy, presumably, everybody's cravings.  

I can see it, but... I doubt it.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 06:06 PM »
Man, it would be freaking awesome if Hasbro decided to use the vintage style packaging on the EP3 figures, wouldn't it?  It just seems that anything else they use after this awesome packaging coming in the OTC line will look extrememly boring.

Here's to hoping they keep the packaging the same, and integrate in into the complete ULTIMATE SAGA line, or whatever they decide to call it.

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 06:49 AM »
Whatever they do CHEWIE I certainly hope that they improve the shipping and distribution of our beloved figures!!!...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 03:53 PM »
Yeah Jedirhino, more than anything they need to improve shipping/distribution/etc.

SilverZ

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 07:59 PM »
I'm actually happy to see Saga going away. Even though it did a complete quality 180 for the better, the bitter taste of the first year's worth of action features, action poses, and pegwarming prequel items makes me still look at the line a little funny. I'm glad its being swept away.

OTC is a nice idea. It certainly feels very "Star Wars" beyond any line so far (including vintage). And I'm starting to wonder if the "vintage" feel is going to become part of the push in the marketing message come Ep3 for not just the toys, but everything surrounding the movie. It makes sense to position it as "see the events that created a Saga" nostalgic feel. It is the movie that everyone wanted to see back in OT days and they'd be smart to capitalize on that. So, I guess I'm hoping that everything stays under one assortment, or if an Ep3 assortment is seperate, it shares a lot of the OTC stylings.

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 09:19 PM »
I am not sad. I look at it as the line is progressing. Thus change to show. To push on into the future. That is a good thing.
I will be sad when Hasbro says this will be the last wave of Star Wars figures.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2004, 06:44 AM »
I agree as far as the first waves of figures, but they have definitely progressed with the last batches and waves of figures...not as good overall as POTJ but good nonetheless...I am SOOOO looking forward to some of the other figures though, including the old Kenner carded figures!!! (they may be one of the few that I do not open)...But I also need to catch up on the figures from 2003 and early 2004 as well as some of the vehicles that I am missing from CW...I sure hope that distribution changes and we get some decent figs...we have a new Walmart going up 15 minutes from my house...that makes 3 within a 20 minute radius...they seem to be doing better most recently...we'll have to see...

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2004, 03:54 PM »
I am not sad to see the Saga line end. I have to say that POTJ in my opinion is still the pinnacle of lines. Saga started with those AWESOME action features and WONDERFUL sculpts!  After that I think Hasbro messed around and had maybe, four or five good sculpts. Then the end of 2003 hit and this year. Repack heaven is here. I mean some of the figures needed to be redone I guess, but I hate the fact that there is NO consistency on size or proporations on the figures in the saga line. Look at Gold Leader vs the other fighter pilots. I mean, POTJ Buckteeth Luke (not a good sculpt) and Red Leader Pilot (new head same body as POTJ Luke in Xwing gear) do not even match up! One example.
So in the end, as Saga goes, I saw farewell with no regrets; well with one regret. I fear that the Ep. III line may not learn the lessons of the Saga line and were in for more cheaply done figures. That is why POTJ was so good. It learned and built on both the positives and negatives of the Ep. I line. If the Clone Wars line of last summer is any indication, Hasbro has not learned from the failings of the Saga line.
The OTC line has some good figures in it, but far too many are repacks.

"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3