Author Topic: Bush vs Kerry  (Read 5100 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Bush vs Kerry
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2004, 09:13 PM »
Oh for some reason I thought you meant making the insurgence look good. Mainly due to the fact I misread your post. Mybad.

Anyway, is it just me or does Bush sound like he's kinda upset?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline P'Dubs of the Sith

• Youngling
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith............
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2004, 09:20 PM »
Well if you're talking about his speech right now. He's being defensive because the reporters are attacking him.

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2004, 09:26 PM »
As Scott stated, this will be watched very closely and locked for good at the slightest hint of a problem.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2004, 09:52 PM »
Well, you won't have to worry about me in this thread.  It was inane, circular political arguments that made me quit patronizing another forum.  And I want no part of this thread either.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2004, 09:59 PM »
Well, you won't have to worry about me in this thread.  It was inane, circular political arguments that made me quit patronizing another forum.  And I want no part of this thread either.
That's the whole point, I've seen small points conceded from time to time but little to no changing of anyone's mind.  Although I do notice KBZ and Dressel are playing chess and making kissy faces.  Something about strange bedfellows

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2004, 10:00 PM »
I don't think he's being that defensive, but you have to admit that it is a nice change from the silence that he kept the last couple of weeks. All in all I think he handled it pretty well, I do agree with his policy's on NATO. However, I think it's wishful thinking about turing over the country in 3 months, maybe in 6 or so, but at the rate things are going, well I'll with hold judgment on that for now.

Intresting thing is I haven't heard any of Kerry's plans for the war, only generalized statements on pulling out. Someone care to shead some light?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2004, 03:41 AM »
Remember how I said we were f--ked?

Read this:

Pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills S 89 and HR 163) would time the program so the draft could begin at early as Spring 2005 -- conveniently just after the 2004 presidential election! But the administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed NOW, so our action is needed immediately. Details and links follow.

If voters who currently support U.S. aggression abroad were confronted with the possibility that their own children or grandchildren might not have a say about whether to fight, many of these same voters might have a change of mind. (Not that it should make a difference, but this plan would among other things eliminate higher education as a shelter and would not exclude women -- and Canada is no longer an option.)

Please send this on to all the parents and teachers you know, and all the aunts and uncles, grandparents, godparents.... And let your children know -- it's their future, and they can be a powerful voice for change! Please also write to your representatives to ask them why they aren't telling their constituents about these bills -- and write to newspapers and other media outlets to ask them why they're not covering this important story.

The Draft*

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. SSS must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation. Please see website: http://www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the SSS Annual Performance Plan - Fiscal Year 2004.

The Pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide.. Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of Congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article5146.htm

Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and H.R. 163 forward this year, entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active bills currently sit in the Committee on Armed Services.

Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam era remember. College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the US signed a "Smart Border Declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's Minister of Foreign Affairs, John Manley, and US Homeland Security Director, Gov. Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of their cur-rent semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.

*This article by Adam Stutz is from the "What's Hot Off the Press" column of the newsletter of Project Censored, a media research group at Sonoma State University that tracks the news published in independent journals and newsletters. From these, Project Censored compiles an annual list (more than 20 years running) of 25 news stories of social significance that have been overlooked, under-reported, or self-censored by the country's major national news media. The mission of Project Censored is "to educate people about the role of independent journalism in a democratic society and to tell The News That Didn't Make the News and why."

"What's Hot Off the Press" includes student synopses of articles currently being investigated for inclusion in the next Project Censored report. For more info and/or to receive Project Censored's newsletter, go to http://www.projectcensored.org
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2004, 03:51 AM »
If this comes to pass, I'm selling my collections and moving to New Zealand. F--k this.

Screw it, I think I'll start now.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2004, 07:16 AM »
I would love to see how fast any administration would crumble if they tried to reinstate the draft.

However, I can see where a hypothetical resurgence of the draft could be advantagous. Let's face the facts: The United States Army has overextended it's self, and we cannot afford to pull out in most cases. So I can see where the need for a draft comes from. But as I said you have nothing to worry about, the public backlash would be tremendous, which is both good and bad.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2004, 09:34 AM »
Sounds almost like what is required of Israeli youth...thank the Lord I'm over 26

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2004, 11:31 AM »
I support our president and our troops in full. I wont lie, that if I find out that George Bush is going to re-enstate the draft, I will be voting for John Kerry. An army should stay an army. We have the freedom to life, liberty, and the persuit of happyness.

I enjoy my current life, and I enjoy the libertys I have as an American, and I appreciate the boys and girls overseas defending my right to be here, and I am rather happy with it. If I enlist, I am going to enlist for reasons I want. Not for what George Bush, or Congress, or anyone else wants.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline P'Dubs of the Sith

• Youngling
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith............
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2004, 01:57 PM »
I enjoy my current life

Kevin
You lying sack of crap, I know you well enough, you complain about your life non-stop.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2004, 04:50 PM »
I will try and not get this thread close or upset the community of this great site with what I have to say but I need to point out something for those who are against the draft being issued.

This country and its allies are in what could possibly if not already could be called World War 3 in all purpose.  We are fighting an enemy that has been around for the last 25+ years and we have done nothing to stop them becuase we had a bigger threat to us in the form of the Soviets.  Once the Soviet Union collapsed most people felt we didn't need the need for a large military that we had at the time because we had no enemies that could ham us like the Soviets could.  THis country in the 20th century have always felt protected by two of the biggest barriers an invading army could face the Pacfic and ALantic Ocean, our two neighbors were on good terms with us so we had no worries with them so we were secured.  
This secure feeling was shattred on Sept. 11 2001 when the world saw that this enemy was ready to declare an all out war against the nations that repersent the complete opposite of what they belife this world should be like in they beliefs.  The US finally reponded to this enemy after this attack and sent out troops thoughout the world to combat Al-qeda and its allies in many different places in the world; the Phillipines, Sadan, Afaganistine, and other places.  We saw a threat in Saddam Hussien and Iraq getting together with our enemy seen how it could be possible that  our enemiems may become friends since "an enemy of my enemy is my friend".  We sent troops to make sure that whatever stuff Hussien had would never get in the hands of Bin or any other terroist using the UN resoultions which Saddam had violated over and over again as a reason to go in to Iraq.  With all of these battle fronts this country's Army needs to be manned at its fullest possible strength.  
I hope the darft doesn't go on but if it is needed then that what we should do to keep our country safe.  On Sept. 11 I was about to enlist in any of the services that would take me, at the time I was 22, my parents talked me into seeing what would happen later before I made plans.  I ended up not enlisting but wouldn't heistate to enlist or even go through with being drafted to protect the freedoms that I enjoy in this country, to protect my family from having to go through the horrors of Sept. 11 again and tomake sure that are allies don't have to suffer from this enemy that doesn't care whether or not you AMerican, America's Allies, or if you are not Jewish.  If they don't like what you say or do you are they enemies.  If you don't belief me in this I have one thing to tell you, why would they threaten the France who are not in IRaq?  The answer is because the France Government passed a law outlawing religous symbols in public schools including head scafs for muslim females students and teachers which the terrorist seen as bad towards Islam.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2004, 09:30 PM »

This secure feeling was shattred on Sept. 11 2001 when the world saw that this enemy was ready to declare an all out war against the nations that repersent the complete opposite of what they belife this world should be like in they beliefs.  

War was declared on us long before that, my friend.  The World Trade Center was attacked in '93, the only man not apprended for his role in this plot,  Abdul Rahman Yasin, a man with ties to Al Qaeda, fled to Iraq.

The US embassies in Northern Africa were attacked by Al Qaeda.

Usama Bin Laden sent fighters into Mogadishu to shoot down our Black Hawk helicopters in our humanitarian mission.

The USS Cole was bombed.

War was declared on the United States all throughout the Clinton administration, there was an act of war on America almost every year of his presidency.  Clinton did nothing.

There is only ONE president who has cleaned out the hornets nest in the Middle East and taken away terror's sanctuary, and that is our 43rd President of the United States George W. Bush.

And President Bush will be getting my vote for the 2nd straight election.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Pistol Pete

• Youngling
  • Maul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2004, 02:19 PM »
I just saw that Jesse Ventura was thinking about running for prez in 2008.  I guess actors have been elected to the big house, why not other actors
Bang Bang