Author Topic: Playsets  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Playsets
« on: April 15, 2004, 11:27 AM »
new topic.

Vintage playsets.

These are some of my personal favorites to collect. I don't recall seeing many of these outside if the catalogs and sales fliers until the ESb line came out. The Hoth sets are some of my personal favorites and I still have my original probot set. I wish my looked as good as the in the kenner archive

Anyway what are your feelings on teh playset line? Favorites, items you wished they made?

For me I thought a Sarlacc pit playset would have been cool to have
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Playsets
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 12:30 PM »
Hey, I got that somewhere in storage.
Favorite playset, well hard to say. Theres the Cloud City & chipboard Death Star that I like. I'll go with the Death Star Space Station. Lots of fun reenacting the Death Star scenes.

Sarlacc pit playset would be awesome. Would go nice with the Tatooine Skiff & Sand Skimmer.  8)

Offline Billy Boy

• Youngling
  • "Target...MAXIMUM FIREPOWER!"
    • View Profile
    • My Webshots
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 07:56 PM »
I love the Dagobah*, Turret & Probot and Imperial Attack Base playsets!

I always used the 'Imperial' Base as the Rebel trenches as a kid! The idea of an 'Attack Base' has never made any sense to me?  ::)

I also have very fond memories of playing with the Palitoy Death Star, Cantina, Land of the Jawas and Darth Vader's Star Destroyer!  8)

The other vintage playsets were never available in Europe!  :(

*IF anyone spots a Palitoy boxed Dagobah playset... please let me know!

Bill  :)

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 09:58 PM »
Dale,

You beat me too it.  I love that set, and have yet to pick one up.  I remember the Christmas that my dad pursuaded my mom to let me and my oldest brother open one gift on Christmas Eve.  I went right for the big one :o!  Jackpot, I looked like that kid in the archives just thrilled at a playset nearly as big as me at the time.

I feel asleep that night on the floor next to that playset.  Thanks for evoking some great memories.  

I recently got the Ewok Playset, which I only bought becuase it looks so cool.  Only problem is you have to have a bunch of loose ewoks to fill that puppy up with.

-Fish-

Offline Billy Boy

• Youngling
  • "Target...MAXIMUM FIREPOWER!"
    • View Profile
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 06:38 AM »
Yeah! Ewok Villages are great!  8)

I have the European Bi-logo version from my childhood ...BUT I sadly sold off the three mint Tri-logo boxed versions I purchased for £4.99 each in the Woolworth Toy Sale of 1985! = FOOL!  ::)

I have two loose Ewok Villages side-by-side in a vintage diorama in my office! = Twenty Ewoks are fending off four AT-STs, ten Biker Scouts and forty Stormtoopers with their two tiny catapults and four gliders! The poor little guys are seriously out-numbered... without a single Rebel Commando in sight!

= I guess I'll never 'grow up'?  :D

Bill

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 07:28 PM »
Yeah! Ewok Villages are great!  8)

I have the European Bi-logo version from my childhood ...BUT I sadly sold off the three mint Tri-logo boxed versions I purchased for £4.99 each in the Woolworth Toy Sale of 1985! = FOOL!  ::)

I have two loose Ewok Villages side-by-side in a vintage diorama in my office! = Twenty Ewoks are fending off four AT-STs, ten Biker Scouts and forty Stormtoopers with their two tiny catapults and four gliders! The poor little guys are seriously out-numbered... without a single Rebel Commando in sight!

= I guess I'll never 'grow up'?  :D

Bill

Common Bill, help those ewoks out!  4 gliders = nice, I hope to land one someday.

-Fish-

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 12:16 AM »
the playsets are an aspect i never got into with the vintage stuff. i have a few incomplete ones that i picked up a few years back in an ebay auction, but that's about it.

i think i have most of the star destroyer, death star, dagobah, jabba's dungeon and maybe the hoth. for some reason they just never interested me.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004, 02:03 AM »
I've always loved the playsets, when I wasn't playing in the front yard with my friends and their figs,  using the grass as a jungle or the sidewalk as a barren wasteland, the playsets allowed us to imagine new landscapes in our homes. My favorites have lasted since childhood. The Turret & Probot playset is without a doubt my all time fave, my childhood one last for years, well until about 1989 when right before a move, my dad tossed a bunch of stuff out including the playset :( But since then I've gotten a new one which I will have proudly displayed in my new collection room sooner or later. After that, its the Star Destroyer playset, which I also had as a kid. I remember the day I got it, going to a local Zayre (home of the vintage SW for me) and just staring at the box on the walk home. I played with it forever, until one day I accidentally stepped on it and broke half the pieces on it. Again, since that time I've gotten a newer one and still love the way it looks. Would love to find boxes for them someday.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Mandalorian Madman

• Youngling
  • He's no good to me at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 09:07 PM »
i loooove the playsets and the vehicles that have a playset feel to them (falcon, slave 1).  just picked up a loose near mint (probably very fine actually in comic book parlance) death star space station--working cannon, foam, dianoga, compactor, cardboard, stickers, instructions, box, nothing broken--missing the blue rope but i am currently working on that one--had the death star as a kid and basically played with it until it fell apart so it was cool to get it out of the box and put it together---think i might go after the ewok village or dagobah next.   if they weren't fighting in the backyard sandbox, my figures were taking over the death star or, later, greyskull

david
JD

"Open them.  All of them."