Author Topic: ROTJ Skywalker - did this in night class...  (Read 8197 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
ROTJ Skywalker - did this in night class...
« on: April 19, 2004, 08:22 AM »
I've got a lousy night class called "Interpersonal Communications" where we talk about bonding and relationships and crap - well, it's boring so I drew this in class...

Hope ya like it. Eventually I want to do a similar drawing, but with Vader included.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 08:25 AM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: ROTJ Skywalker - did this in night class...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 02:12 PM »
Nice Brad! Your sense of value and your ability to interpret it effectively are improving. You get better and better (and this is due to the fact that you are drawing a lot and trying things that challenge you). It has a painterly feel to it, especially on the arm. The transition and slow blends from light into dark and dark into light are really well rendered there! You are becoming masterful with your use of light and how it defines form. I suggest that you check out Carravagio's work and any of the Dutch Masters (Vermeer, Rembrandt, Hals...). They were the best at manipulating light and using it to define and convey the emotion of the subject matter. Carravagio was a nut and so damn good. I think you'd enjoy reading about his character and the crazy stuff he did.

Anyway, good stuff Brad! I've got some goodies coming soon and can't wait to share them with you!
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 04:57 PM »
Wow, Brad, that's amazing! I think this is just the inspiration I need to get off my proverbial ass and start drawing more. ;) :P

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 10:50 PM »
i like it. i'm not an art critic - or an artist - so i can't say what you did "right" and what you did "wrong". but i like it, it's definitely a piece i would frame and hang up on my wall.

i can't wait to see what you can do when you put your mind really into it, and add vader to it. i'd like to see what you could do with vader and luke during the bespin duel too (hint, hint  ;) )

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 11:10 PM »
No offense Dave...

But as Brad's attorney I must advise him to start charging for his talented services. You want to commision a work of art by The Fuzzy Angry One, then you need to:

SHOW HIM THE $$$!!!

Suggestions are fine, but he isn't taking requests at the moment... Anyway next in line is "Ewok Celebration".

Just kidding.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 11:16 PM »
actually, i've been meaning to show him the money for about the past month, maybe six weeks, for his reservoir dogs drawing, and i keep forgetting. but as soon as he lets me know the total i owe him after he ships it out, i'll be sending my first payment :)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 12:09 AM »
Cha-Ching!!!

You the man! Any patron of the arts is a friend o' mine! I can also wield a pretty mean pencil if you want a collection of killer JD.com staff art. Even willing to do the ICMG!

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 04:32 PM »
Thanks for the comments, guys - love yall!

Me and Scott never figured out the deal w/ the 'ICMG
meets Jabba' drawing I did for him - so that's still up in the air  -> but that'd definately be cool to have a 'Staff Art' collection. Dunno if anyone would be willing to pay for a Chris Berry 'Stickman ICMG' rendering though. 

Oh and guys - Just about all of the students in the Commercial Arts program are submitting designs for a T-shirt design for the Bowhunters of Alabama association... Here's what I think I'll submit ->

As you can see, it's a big buck popping out of the shape of the state of Alabama... and the BHA logo at the base. The instructor suggested incorporating camo, but I'm just not feeling it. Sure the t-shirt seems plain, but it's also simple - and I like simple. Most bowhunters are bound to be wearing random camo jackets and misc. anyway - so why incorporate it into the t-shirt as well? I dunno, just going with my gut.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 04:43 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 04:38 PM »
And another class assignment is to develope a name and logo for a resturaunt (fictional), then design the menu.

Here's the logo :

Yep, 'House of Blue Leaf' is a nod towards that kickass fight scene in Kill Bill Vol. 1... I think this is a nice lil logo.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 04:40 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 07:34 PM »
i like 'em both, but especially the house of blue leaf :)

if you ever decide to make some t-shirts out of that design, sign me up for one   ;D

Offline JasperFett

• Youngling
  • I am a mighty mandalorian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 6, 2004, 01:39 AM »
 :)I like your art Brad. You did a very good job and hope to see more of your art.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #11 on: October 6, 2004, 06:36 PM »
If you like this art, you'll probably love the art I've got on my fully armed and operational website, www.TheArtOfBradSmith.com... Check it out and tell me whatcha think!

Offline BobaShek

• Jedi Initiate
  • OT Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 12:57 AM »
Looks like no one wants you to know what they think, eh? ;)

I think it's off to a great start. There were a bunch of pieces in your portfolio that I never had the fortune of seeing before. :)

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 2, 2004, 10:11 PM »
I very much like the photo in the neck brace, for some reason it makes me think of some Hunter S. Thompson escapade... my next swill should forever be in honour of that portrait.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #14 on: November 3, 2004, 11:48 AM »
I've always loved that photo, I think it may date back to freshman year in highschool, or maybe junior high. Not sure.

I should be updating the site very soon, I'm waiting for my school paper to come out so I can scan whatever props they send my way for doing their Astronomy class logo and all of that jazz... Unfortunately the school is notorious for screwing us Commercial Arts people over and giving us no credit whatsoever, so I'm sort of on the edge of my seat here to see if they'll do this to me or not.