Author Topic: TRU Endor 4 Pack  (Read 16090 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
TRU Endor 4 Pack
« on: April 21, 2004, 01:19 AM »
Up for preorder

The Star Wars Endor Ambush 4-Pack includes a Star Wars Speeder Bike, Biker Scout Trooper, Han Solo in Endor Trenchcoat, Endor Rebel Soldier, Wicket the Ewok, Logra the Ewok and assorted accessories (blaster, endor soldier rifle, endor soldier backpack, endor soldier helmet, staff, medicine pouch, spear and 4 display stands).

Pontifications?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: TRU Endor 4 Pack
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 02:45 AM »
Sounds promising, but if I see a POTF2 Biker Scout or Han in Endor Trenchcoat in it, forget it.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 08:43 AM »
Sounds promising, but if I see a POTF2 Biker Scout or Han in Endor Trenchcoat in it, forget it.

and you expect differently? this is just another great way for hasblow to "help" the collectors who missed out on these things a few years back. when are they going to realize that 75% of their collectors/fan base for this stuff have been with the line long enough to already own these? the shelves at the tru's near me are clogged with these new 4 packs, since nobody seems to care. and now they are just going to keep pumping out more. way to go, hasblow!!!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 09:26 AM »
They did a decent job in the first two packs of doing some kitbashing to bring us at least some half way decent new figs...the AT-ST Pilot, the Imperial R4, the Hoth R3 and Hoth Chewie.  The last couple of ones have been crap.  Hopefully they revert to the halfway decent ones

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 09:29 AM »
Beth

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 09:30 AM »
I'm hoping they go halfway decent with this one as well, especially if it means getting a somewhat decent Endor Han.  I have the POTF2 one, so if that is all this set includes, I doubt I pick it up.  If they try some sort of kitbashing, maybe using that new AT-ST Han head with another body, w/trenchcoat, then I'm probably in.  I missed out on the POTF2 Logray, and I'd always like to add another Ewok to the display.  I have the Wicket, so he could always get repainted...or donated to one of our nephews.  Hopefully it is the POTJ (Clean) Biker Scout, you can always use another one of those.  Overall, I agree, I hope they go back to the earlier quality of these sets.  If they are able to get a little creative with some kitbashing at least, it might turn out ok.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 09:33 AM »
I actually think they might change around one of the figures (like they did with Han for the Carkoon Pit pack) but since I could use some more Ewoks and a speeder bike, it will be one less you see on the shelf.
Sure, it would be great to see new sculpts but I think they are doing that with the OTC waves and these four packs are exactly what you stated jokabofe, repacks of old figures,  but this time it works for me.
Beth

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 10:32 AM »
I think this set sounds promising, but I'm not going to hold my breath.  

I would like to see them do something like this for this wave:

Han - somehow use an exisitng Han torso/legs maybe the POTJ Bespin Han and add the Dodonna trenchcoat/arm to him with new hands

Endor Soldier - SAGA version with a 3rd head sculpt

Scout Trooper - clean POTJ version w/ articulated knees

Ewoks - repainted version of Wicket (he's being re-released again anyway) and the regular Logray

Also, I would like for this speederbike to be a non-break apart version.

:P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 10:34 AM »
I didn't think about that, but there definitely needs to be some sort of knee articulation on the trooper or the Speeder Bike is pretty much useless

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 02:35 PM »
I'll be watching for pics of this 4 pack very closely...

...AND IF I AM NOT IMPRESSED SOMEONE WILL GET PISSED ON!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 09:55 PM by OCB »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 09:05 PM »
I'm really at a loss for this set right now...  

I mean, it could really be a great set, or it could suck the sweat from a dead man, as they say.  

The Imp. Forces set was, to me, the pinnacle of Hasbro's efforts with these sets...  And I can say I didn't even go ga-ga over that one, though it was decent for the price...  3 decent army builder-esque figures and a nice enough Vader for the kids (though you toss in a grey Imp. Officer or a Motti with Imp. Officer head and I'd have been all over multiples of that set!).

With this set, this is what I'd LIKE to see, and cntrastly what I think we'll get...

What I'd LIKE:
-Han...  A NICE softgoods coat...  Something new, very Vintage-esque with a better deco on it...  Loose fabric like Total Control Mace's robe, and I'd be content.  

Underneath the coat, the figure's a modified torso of Cantina Han, and his legs, and perhaps some unique arms?  Include the more accurate Han Blaster from Saga figures and AT-ST han head (or I'd take Bespin Capture's head) and that'd be a GREAT figure to me.  Worthy of being single-carded even.

What We'll GET:
-Saga Han Endor with softgoods coat from Accessory set

What I'd LIKE:
-2 unique Ewoks using the Teebo sculpt with a tan and brown paintjob (respectively), and reusing the Wicket hood cast in 2 unique colors.  Include spears, or a vintage bow/arrow would be so sweet for one of them at least.  :(

What We'll GET:
-Wicket and Logray...  We already seem to know this.  Too bad since I think kids could give a rat's ass which Ewok they get, just so they get AN Ewok.  Dumb Hasbro.

What I'd LIKE:
-Imperial Biker Scout...  New lower torso and new poseable arms...  A guy can dream, right?  This would be enough articulation to make the guy Super Articulated, or damn close.  At least give him ball/socket knees, elbows, and some wrist joints ya know?  Oh well...

What We'll GET:
-POTJ repack...  No changes.  Ah well...  Some are happy with this, but that figure blew bigtime to me.  Tiny head, and craptacular "pose".  I mean, at least make it neutral, ya know?  

What I'd LIKE:
-Endor Soldier...  Saga figure's torso/arms with retooled shooulders to have the shoulders of the vest be part of the arms (So the guy can move his damn arms!), and a new head...  Attach the torso to the POTF2 lower body (lower torso and legs) for a neutral pose.  

What We'll GET:
-Saga Soldier (knowing Hasbro, the bearded one) with no changes, or POTF2 one...  

What I'd LIKE:
-All new, to-scale sculpt of the speederbike...  No features, just an accurately SMALL bike a rider could actually sit on and his feet could connect to the pedals.  

Either the all new bike or a NICE re-release of the catapult!

What We'll GET:
-POTF2 bike, no doubt...  I could see the Saga bike (droopy nose one) get cast in brown though...  Eh, it sucks too though except the handlebars.

What I'd LIKE:
-Ewok Bow & Arrow sets, some GOOD STURDY Rebel Rifles, a weird "vine" trap or thing for Ewoks to swing on you attach to the all, that REALLY nice Han Endor coat (Oh man, I can wish for that), a softgoods "shoulderbag" for the bombs from the Saga Han or accessory pack...  Etc.

What We'll GET:
-Some POTF2 Endor Rifles probably...  Some Rebel Backpacks with awkward plastic hooks molded on them that are somehow intended to fit on the figure's shoulder but have not the slightest chance in hell of ever doing so...

Call me jaded...  The 4-packs have steadily declined in quality to me (starting with the Hoth set), and overall "value" to me as a consumer, and unless Hasbro really imrpesses me with another army-builder focused set that shows some real creativity on their part, I just will look at this set poorly.  :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2004, 09:31 AM »
Nice post Jesse, and good points.  The make or break for this set for me is really the Endor Han Solo.  I've wanted a really nicely done version of this figure for a long time, and I wasn't exactly satisfied with the POTF2 one.  It was pretty much my favorite vintage figure, and I'd like to see it done justice in the modern line.  I really like your idea, I think they could cobble together a nice figure, then include a nicely decoed soft goods trenchcoat and I'd be happy.  It would be really nice to get a well-articulated Biker Scout out of this too, but it most likely won't happen.  I didn't think of it at first either, but really how much sense does it make to include a non-posable scout in a set with a bike (that he can't even sit on?).  Hopefully Hasbro will surprise us and make this set closer to what it could be.  It seems we're all understanding about them "modifying" older figures, just if they do it right.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2004, 07:13 PM »
I don't know why Hasbro continues to crap out stuff like this, especially when this gives them the perfect opportunity to release the Eopie, which most of us US (and Canada too, right?) collectors never got.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2004, 03:12 PM »
I'm with HMI on this one.  These four packs could have been an excellent opportunity to release figures, beasts, or smaller accessories that were difficult to find, that had been cancelled, or "new" kitbashed figures that people might actually be interested in.  Instead they've gone straight to hell in terms of quality and choice.

Since everyone else is doing it, here's what I would have liked to have seen from the four packs they released thus far, or at least what would have made me buy some of them:

IMPERIAL FORCES: I actually bought this one and thought it was a decent set.  Two kitbashes that made sense (the AT-ST Driver and the Stormie), and two repaints that were nice as well (the R4 unit and Vader), with accessories that were acceptable (the cannon and the droids).  This one was the best of the series, but sadly hasn't been even challenged for that spot thus far.

BOUNTY HUNTERS: this one is one that I saw no point in whatsoever.  I mean, Bossk was being remade at the time, IG-88 and Aurra Sing weren't exactly difficult to find, and the Fett was the same one as the 300th (which granted, many people didn't see, but it Hasbro wanted to get both new and old collectors to buy this, they could have at least repainted him in the ROTJ color scheme).  The bike was really cheesy looking IMO, and I thought this whole set was a complete wash.

HOTH: Leia sucked.  She should have never been a part of this set in the first place.  If it were me, she would have been replaced with a snowspeeder pilot Wedge (kitbashed from the Dack/Luke SS body and the Rebel Pilot CS head with removable helmet).  The Tauntaun would have been Han's in all sets, and instead of Luke it would include the Han from the beast pack (making a toy that was impossible to find easier to get, at least in some form).  The R3 unit was fine, as was the Chewbacca.  

JEDI WARRIORS: this would not have even been made in its current form.  It would have been a Geonosis Arena four pack that would include the Nikto Jedi kitbash; a kitbashed Obi-Wan using the Coruscant head, torso, and legs, along with the Episode I Jedi Duel arms; a repainted Clone Trooper (the red Saga version that was included in the Clone Wars value pack with the ARC Trooper); the Super Battle Droid from the Deluxe Yoda; and the Detention Force Field thing.

SKIRMISH AT CARKOON: would be renamed "Jabba's Palace" and would include Ephant Mon, a repainted C-3P0 (with the green gunk from when Jabba slaps him over), Oola, and a Barada repaint with the red pants, maybe slightly retooled to be able to hold a force pike.  The accessory?  Jabba's Dais.

ENDOR SET: would include the speeder bike and Paploo from the TRU AT-ST/Bike set from a few years back; a kitbashed Han Endor using the Bespin Capture head, torso, hips, and legs, straight arms from somewhere, and a soft goods coat along the lines of the Mace coat someone mentioned earlier; the clean version of the Biker Scout; a kitbashed Luke in Endor poncho (soft goods with removable helmet) using the Jabba's Palace Luke head, torso, hips, and legs, and retooled arms, with the Endor Rebel Solider (Saga)'s helmet; and another generic Ewok (Warok?) based on the sculpt from the Complete Galaxy Ewok from 1998.

And other sets I'd like to see, you ask?  ;)

NABOO INVASION: would include OOM-9 (from the Trophy asst. that was never released); Naboo Swamp Obi-Wan (from the same assortment); Sio Bibble (who was very hard to find); Amidala with Ascension Gun (again, very hard to find); and a walking holograph projector with a Sidious holograph shrunk down to size.

TATOOINE: would include the Eopie with Qui-Gon; at least four of the Pit Droids from the foreign packs (with accessories); an actual Threepio from Episode II that is based on the POTF2 removable limbs mold (in other words, that actually looks metallic); and a kitbashed Darth Maul in Tatooine robes that isn't in some kind of action pose (possibly the Trophy edition head and cloak on the Jedi Duel body?)

BESPIN CAPTURE: would include the CD-ROM Vader that was never released; a kitbashed Bespin Security Guard (based on the POTJ version) of a different race (there were several, so whichever one works for you; I'd like one of the black ones myself); the non-action feature version of Bespin Luke from the CD-ROM sets; a kitbashed Bespin Capture Han (with just the white shirt, new arms, and no holster); a Carbonite Block based on the POTF2 version that is solid (e.g. not hollow without a back); and an Ugnaught.

REBEL FORCES: would include a kitbashed Biggs in X-Wing Pilot gear (the body is fine, but it would have a new head with removable helmet); a newly sculpted Ceremonial Luke (yes, I know this doesn't go along with the rehashing they do in these packs, but I'd love to see a new one done and I think this might be the only way); Red Leader's astromech droid (using the excellent recent R* bodies); and a "mystery" X-Wing pilot figure (that is, of course, Jorg Sacul rereleased so those of us who couldn't afford plane fare or a trip to Indianapolis can finally get one for our collections and the people who have carded versions will still be happy knowing they have something unique; everybody's happy).  Maybe include one of those round console tables everyone is standing around during the attack as an accessory.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.  As for what I think we'll wind up getting with the Endor pack that is coming out?

-Endor Han (from POTF2)
-Wicket and Logray (from POTF2)
-Endor Rebel Solider (from POTF2)
-Biker Scout and Speeder Bike (from POTF2)
...and of course, no modifications will be made. ::)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 02:35 AM »
I was going to buy the Hoth 4-pack, but $20 is a lot of money for **** in a fancy box.

If anything, these sets have finally broken me of any completism virus I had left. For that, they are good.