Author Topic: Military Draft?  (Read 8097 times)

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
Re: Military Draft?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2004, 10:46 PM »
USA is too buddy buddy with China to go around fighting them.  Look how much we trade with them.  War with China will never happen.  Thats why we haven't pressured them to free Tibet or cease invasions on other Asian countries...  Our economy relies on them too much for that.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 10:48 PM by Playgirl »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2004, 11:00 AM »
USA is too buddy buddy with China to go around fighting them.  Look how much we trade with them.

Buddy buddy? Hah! This is America, baby! We dont have buddys. We have allies.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2004, 01:19 PM »
USA is too buddy buddy with China to go around fighting them.
That's one of the reason's why we wouldn't start that war. America generally dosen't take on threats that can do serious damage to us. However, China would have a win win situation in taking out the US: Last big threat gone, domination of the world economy, new superpower. I am of the belife that, China hasn't started a war with us yet simply because they aren't ready. Give it 10 years and we'll see how your opinion changes.

Look how much we trade with them.  War with China will never happen.

Precisely why they are such a major threat is because of the trade (that chiefly benefits them, IMO) and once again it will and already has on several occasions. Such as: The Korean War, and the cyber war that China launched in spring of 2001, right asfter/during the EP3 Incident (for those of you who don't remember it's when they held our pilots hostage)

Thats why we haven't pressured them to free Tibet or cease invasions on other Asian countries...  Our economy relies on them too much for that.
Pardon me but we have, one of the reasons China isn't as large as it was at the time of the Manchu Empire is because we and the international community have held China in. And allow me to restate this, because we are so dependant on China economicaly they are a large threat because A.) They are not out for our best intrests, nor anyones but their own; B.) They are allied with our enemeys and have more than proven to us that infact they are not what you'd call an alley.

Dose that help?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2004, 01:51 PM »
I'd continue to argue you with you, but this thread is looking very very familiar.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2004, 02:15 PM »
How so? This is but health conversation/debate and is no way inflammitory.

Please I implore you to make a counter point(s)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 02:16 PM by Vator »

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2004, 02:24 PM »
I think I want to quit while I'm 'behind'. ;)  If this thread starts resembling rebelscums war and politics thread, (not saying it has "yet".) then I think most people will agree that the topic has gone out of control.  I wont be participating in this thread anymore. :-X  

I dont want to start any fights with anyone because I would like to think that we're all friends here, and thats not something we see in a lot of other sites, such as rebelscum. :-\
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 02:25 PM by Playgirl »

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2004, 02:56 PM »
I agree completly, however, discussing National Security and Military threats, generally dosen't degenerate into flames, if you are level headed and I think most who have/will post in the thread are, then there shouldn't be any problem. It's fine if you don't want to continue, we'll call this particular set of debate a draw.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2004, 03:24 PM »
I don't think this debate was escalating into a flame war, rather, Vator provided some evidence to support his opinion and you decided not to - at least that's how I saw it.

That's the beauty of debate, everybody thinks they're right.  :-*

If you ask me, China and the USA aren't buddy buddy. Not at all. I think many or even most American's will tell you that we distrust the Chinese, North Koreans, etc. Come to think of it, we distrust our own government for pretending to be buddy buddy with them in the first place.

:-\

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2004, 03:51 PM »
Although I'm sure you're right Vator; everyone here seemed to have kept their cool so far, I didnt feel it was in my best interest to push it any further.  Whether I was right about my decision, I guess we'll have to see...

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2004, 10:18 PM »
Agreed Playgirl.

Brad, what do you consider to make someone (or something) buddy buddy with? To me it all boils down to trust:

While this has little to do with the military draft, you bring up an interesting point. If you were to ask the everyday Joe Schom he'd probably say he didn't trust the goverment. That'd be a good two hundred something million people, pretty stunning if you think about it.
Hell, the goverment obviously dosen't trust it's self, just take the CIA or FBI for example. Infact the military was largely distrustful/disdainful of each branch until recently.
Then again do we really trust anyone? Maybe a few people, mostly family and old friends, and when you consider all the people that we meet/communicate with, we only really know/trust a small percent. I suppose it's all realitive to the situation, though.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2004, 01:29 AM »

That's one of the reason's why we wouldn't start that war. America generally dosen't take on threats that can do serious damage to us. However, China would have a win win situation in taking out the US: Last big threat gone, domination of the world economy, new superpower. I am of the belife that, China hasn't started a war with us yet simply because they aren't ready. Give it 10 years and we'll see how your opinion changes.

Agreed.  By virtue of sheer population, China could amass an army of tens of millions very easily.  Give them a few more decades and it will get considerably worse.  They don't like us very much and I won't be suprised one bit if within the next 20 years or so they were to try to start a war.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2004, 10:58 AM »
Should we pull our boys out of Iraq?

What do you think?
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2004, 12:21 PM »
Brad, what do you consider to make someone (or something) buddy buddy with? To me it all boils down to trust:

If you ask me, to be buddy buddy with someone, you must like this person - not necesarrily trust him/her to any extent, but you must like the person.

I think it's safe to say that we do not like China.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2004, 01:23 PM »
Should we pull our boys out of Iraq?

What do you think?

I wish we could - but I think it's a mistake.  It would just be seen as an abandonment.  What needs to be done is to get the U.N. involved and maybe even NATO to some extent - just to get the whole thing internationalized again - because the 'Coalition of the Willing' is a joke.  

Unfortunately, this would mean admitting that we need the U.N.'s help - which I'm not so sure George Bush is really willing to do.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2004, 02:13 PM »
Apparently everyone else is pulling out... I say we hit the road and never come back once the date to hand over the government to the Iraqis arrives.