Author Topic: **JediDefender Revamp, Whatcha Think?**  (Read 4072 times)

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
**JediDefender Revamp, Whatcha Think?**
« on: April 28, 2004, 02:54 PM »
I suppose I will let you know that I have been planning a revamp of JediDefender and before anything becomes final, I want input from the members who visit. I have my own ideas on a whole new concept for our look, along with being done by a professional firm, but I want to know a few things you do and don't like about how the site as a whole is now. I like our current look, but I want something much better.

What I have in mind will be a very classy, smooth design with easy-on-the-eyes color schemes, great graphics, and a fast load time.

In addition to the whole new look, the forum will be upgraded as soon as the software comes out of Beta and will incorporate many, many exciting new features on the admin and user end.

So, if you'd let us know your thoughts on the subject, I would be grateful. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 02:55 PM by Chris Berry »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: **JediDefender Revamp, Whatcha Think?**
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 03:42 PM »
The search engine, to put it mildly, needs work.  

I like the color scheme very much, it is much easier on the eyes than a lighter based background with dark writing.  I spend the entire day and a goodly portion of the evening in front of a computer, so anything that makes it easier to look at is good.  

I don't actually have a lot of complaints about the site as it currently exists.  I'll try to get grumpy and think of some.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 03:53 PM »
I really like the site as it is, and I can't really think of anything better as of now. So, I'll tell you what I don't want to see...

Edit: I'd prefer it was NOT like Rebelscums new look.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 04:10 PM by Vator »
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 04:06 PM »
Whoever does JediDefender's graphics needs a raise.

(cough)

SilverZ

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 04:32 PM »
Definitely incorporate the current color palette used within the main pages and the forum to some extent. It’s very distinct from the other collecting sites. I’d consider the “gold on blue” part of your brand. I also like the rotating JD logo banner.

It’s certainly fortunate that RS unveiled their new forums, and you have a great example of what to avoid in that area.

I’d also avoid the temptation to add a popup ad window if you’re concerned about revenue.

Regarding image archives, it might be good to discard the side panels from the front page to allow more ease of browsing. I loathe the navigation of RS’s section. GH is easy to sort through, but how they’ve organized it makes the trees to reach images a treasure hunt. I’d love for you guys to have a good section on vehicles. Also, an archive of high quality scans of sticker sheets would be a great resource.

Couple notes on layout:

My personal browsing style is very brief, so anything that you want me to use has to be easy to spot and catch my eye, without the need to scroll down the front page. I’ve noticed I haven’t really considered things on the front page like the poll, ICMG petition, and SW Today sections just because of that, which requires a scroll down on my 1280x1024 desktop.

I’m fond of a way this site handles their news Davis DVD there’s a summary bar at the top of the page that makes it quick and easy to see updates without a lot of images or need to scroll down the page, unless you are interested in details. Very handy.

Yes, I am lazy, so this is just my opinion and personal preference.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 04:34 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 08:02 PM »
Whoever does JediDefender's graphics needs a raise.

(cough)

You get paid? :o

Chris....I think I have some skills you are in need of here. ;)

I like this forum....I find the new RS look a bit too bright....but...I don't really have a problem with it if you were to do it. I mean...It's your creation and I don't come here half as often as I should.

Although I do like the smooth colors here...they mix...and are unique.

I say tweek soem things like the search and such...but an overall revamp would be just making better what is already sufficient. :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 10:07 PM »
If you need revenue, can you use click through links to follow and tell us what they are?  I'd have no problem doing them.  Not expecting you need revenue, just building on Tydirium's comment.  

No popups please.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 10:18 PM »
The search engine, to put it mildly, needs work.

No doubt.  That things sucks, and sucks WAY BAD!!!   >:(  That's my only real gripe with the forums right now.  The thing's completely useless.

No worries on the pop-ups though, I'm sure.  Unless someone slapped a fat stack o' moolah in front of Chris, I'm pretty sure that's something he wouldn't be interested.

And Brad only gets a few hundred bucks a month for the graphics gig here, so it's not really a big deal.  Just pocket change like the rest of us make, which helps support our favorite habit...   ;)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 10:49 PM »
Never used the search feature, and I have no other problems with this site. As long as you keep up the great work, I'll be happy.

If you do update, please don't screw everything up like they might have done at RS. :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 10:55 PM »
The search engine is completely out of my hands, but the new forum software is said to have a much better search, we will see.

As for pop-ups, I really hate them and unless worst came to worst ever, I would not allow them on JediDefender.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2004, 05:33 PM »
I like this forum's layout alot. Yeah, the search feature isn't very stellar. But considering all the problems Scum is having...

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2004, 10:35 AM »
The layout's great.  Truth be told, I thought the old 'Scum looked better, just because of the colors, but now that its changed, this forum is the one to beat.  Sorry, no suggestions yet, but just don't change it too much.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 1, 2004, 09:40 AM »
I hope it's not going to be like Rebelscum where you post your message.  Then it goes to another screen.  Then you have to click continue again.  Finally about the 3rd or 4th screen it will accept the post.  

For some reason that bugs me.  GH is kind of like that as well.  I just like to post my message and presto there it is after one click.  

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: May 1, 2004, 01:05 PM »
The actual "way" that you do everyday forum functions is not much different. Posting especially will remain just about exactly the way it is now (in regards to the user end). The profile section is the most changed, IMO. Other than that, things that we already have stay the same.

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 3, 2004, 10:28 AM »
OK, here is my $0.02...  If you want to change it great.. change is good.  From my experience, when a message board that I have been using for quite a while undergoes a major change even if it is for the better, I seem to drift away.

I don't know why, but I do. Wierd??

Take for example www.snowtroopers.ca  A Canadian SW Collectors site.  The were using an EZBoard etup which sucked, but worked OK.  They changed to the same system as here, but it was never the same for me..  I posted a few times Canadian related stuff, but never went back.

It wouldn't be the board software, as I was going here at the time, and was used to it.  The dynamics of the whole scene just changed when that happened.

I guess I am saying improve, but stick to your roots.

Anyway... I'm done.  Don't know if there is anything useful in there, please feel free to ignore it.  

Scott
The space left intentionally blank.