Author Topic: **Please Read: Regarding Political Threads**  (Read 5550 times)

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
**Please Read: Regarding Political Threads**
« on: May 1, 2004, 12:27 AM »
I would like to make everyone aware that JediDefender is instituting a new formal policy that states:

No political and/or religious threads are to be created without the prior approval of a staff member here at the site. As a general rule, these threads do not have a place at JediDefender and the staff member approval is used only for an extraordinarily special circumstance. I can see where some may feel that this is unfair, but to keep the peace as well as the fun and mature atmosphere, it has to be done. I have never seen any good come from one of these threads and feel it is in everyone's best interest to not allow the threads.

I know that everyone has an opinion, and each should be heard so this thread will remain open. Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 1, 2004, 12:27 AM by Chris Berry »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: **Please Read: Regarding Political Threads**
« Reply #1 on: May 1, 2004, 12:30 AM »
Outstanding idea.

We love Chris Berry.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 1, 2004, 12:58 AM »
It's unfortunate that a formal policy had to be adopted to discourage any conversation regarding real-life events including life, death, war, politics, & religion.  I guess the people here aren't mature enough to handle a discussion in those areas.  Sad, really.  Oh well, this policy is a small, petty victory for the faint of heart & the meek.  Yay.  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 1, 2004, 01:20 AM »
It's unfortunate that a formal policy had to be adopted to discourage any conversation regarding real-life events including life, death, war, politics, & religion.  I guess the people here aren't mature enough to handle a discussion in those areas.  Sad, really.  Oh well, this policy is a small, petty victory for the faint of heart & the meek.  Yay.  

Damn. You're cool. It's a ****ing Star Wars board, ass. If you want to talk religion and politics, go elsewhere.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: May 1, 2004, 01:25 AM »
Hey, you play nice Adam!    :P   ;)

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 1, 2004, 01:58 AM »

Damn. You're cool. It's a ****ing Star Wars board, ass. If you want to talk religion and politics, go elsewhere.

So you're saying that the nature of all discussion here should be Star Wars related?  Why does Watto's Junkyard exist?  If you want to talk about movies, music, & more, go elsewhere.  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #6 on: May 1, 2004, 01:59 AM »
There's always Rebelscum for debate about politics and religion.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: May 1, 2004, 11:23 AM »
I get around 3 reported posts a month...the last three threads dealing with these subjects have generated3 reports each

Its a hard thing to talk about, I've seen the effects (Bush v Gore in 2000 at CSW specifically) to know that bad feelings result.  

I see your point totally FG, I think that we can talk about anything else under the sun here but when it comes to politics all hell seems to break loose because people feel so strongly about the issues that personal insults (such as Adam's) result

Things like the upcoming election are big discussions waiting to happen and I would hope people would play nice, experience says otherwise

Contemplations?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 1, 2004, 11:25 AM »
Force Guy, it's the general consensus here, long before you showed up, that this would be a place where we'd like to see politics and religion avoided if possible; 2 subjects that most of us feel contributed strongly to RS being a flame fest and a place where disrespect is common place.

So the administration here has spoken, it's a rule now not to have politics thread, and that's the end of it.

Do you really want to continue this argument?  Just let it go.

Increase the peace!

:)
« Last Edit: May 1, 2004, 11:27 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 1, 2004, 12:52 PM »

Its a hard thing to talk about, I've seen the effects (Bush v Gore in 2000 at CSW specifically) to know that bad feelings result.  

I see your point totally FG, I think that we can talk about anything else under the sun here but when it comes to politics all hell seems to break loose because people feel so strongly about the issues that personal insults (such as Adam's) result

Things like the upcoming election are big discussions waiting to happen and I would hope people would play nice, experience says otherwise

Contemplations?

I have to agree with what Scott has to say about all of this.  I saw CSW community which was close at the time turn on each other because of the whole 2000 election.  For a while the talk turned so badly that Mike (webmaster of CSW) made it a point not to have political or religous threads at the site.  A year or two later this ban was removed and the same dead horse came back up but only many times worst.
I'm glad JD has decided to make this decision beacuse I don't want to see this place turn into RS version 2.0 which in the past couple of days it started to look like.  

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 1, 2004, 12:55 PM »
I'm down.

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 1, 2004, 06:06 PM »
I hope political threads havent ruined a good thing we had here...

Offline Infamy Of Crete

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Mellars
« Reply #12 on: May 1, 2004, 09:16 PM »

I have to agree with what Scott has to say about all of this.  I saw CSW community which was close at the time turn on each other because of the whole 2000 election.  For a while the talk turned so badly that Mike (webmaster of CSW) made it a point not to have political or religous threads at the site.  A year or two later this ban was removed and the same dead horse came back up but only many times worst.
I'm glad JD has decided to make this decision beacuse I don't want to see this place turn into RS version 2.0 which in the past couple of days it started to look like.  

As a capital offender  of such things mentioned above at CSW. All to often people can not detach themselves enough from there own anchored thoughts to consider that someone elses opinion is just that and nothing more. Far to often when a good debate is all that's intended ultimately someone gets offended no mattter how one approaches the issue. Like I said I'm a big instigator and often polarize my thoughts to get a discussion started. Although I don't agree with Chris, Jedi defender community has always impressed me as one with highy intelligent indivuals who have a ridiculous hobby, I have to appreciate his wishes...so i'll be emailing you a lot chris for permission ;)

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: May 1, 2004, 09:30 PM »
I think throwing in my personal opinion here would help some to understand where we are coming from in regards to the administrative standpoint. I personally think that the policy sucks. In my opinion, anyone here should be able to express their views and debate on a subject. I feel as if everyone here is restricted now, in a small way. I am in no way for banning opinions and/or beliefs but I  indeed came to this conclusion so that our love of collecting and visiting the sites and forums would be able to continue. I think that is more important than going back and forth with someone until it gets to the point where you are now not enjoying the forum from the collecting standpoint.

If people could let things be, then we could allow both. I have solid evidence that we can't and thus this policy is in place. If you look at the huge problem that Collect Star Wars had in regards to this (2000 election), the large failure of Rebel Scum's forums for allowing these and other types of threads, and the small things that have occurred here, anyone with reason could see why I have decided not to allow this.

No one can say that you can handle both, because you can't. It has been proven by the snide remarks then made in the collecting/movie related forums to those that you do not agree with. It cam down to allowing all threads and postings, or keep the great community of collectors that love coming here everyday. I chose to keep the friendships and sense of community.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 1, 2004, 11:09 PM »
I chose to keep the friendships and sense of community.

And this is the biggest reason why I'm going to be here, and not at scum.  I really started to not enjoy scum at all for your aforementioned reasons, now my transition to this place is complete.

This place has no choice but to rock with a policy like this.

It was a no-brainer.

:D