Author Topic: **Please Read: Regarding Political Threads**  (Read 5551 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: **Please Read: Regarding Political Threads**
« Reply #15 on: May 2, 2004, 02:08 AM »
I can see why you decided as such. However the Military Draft thread didn't turn hostile, it may have been precived as such, however I can honestly say my comment had no intensions of hurting Mainlands feelings or any Californians for that matter, it was just a joke one that indeed I have mentioned befour to Mainland on IM. I dunno, call this part of my post personal reconsile since the thread was closed befour I could reply to my repremand...

Anywho, I support this decision.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: May 2, 2004, 05:04 AM »
It wasn't really viewed terribly negatively Vator, not by me (who pointed it out), but it was viewed as detrimental and not really constructive.  A basis to the decision I believe, that Chris and the staff here have made.

I'd like to take this moment to point out that if you DO have major disagreement with this decision, that it's not the other guy's fault so much as I am the one who's pushed for this "rule" more than anyone I think.

I believe the W&P thread, and any spin-offs frm it, have been major "problems" at Rebelscum for some time now.

It's not that the people here (or there for that matter) aren't mature enough to handle discussion of these topics, but rather that absolutely nothing good ever comes from them.  Nobody makes anyone change their mind once.  I've never seen that happen ever in any of those threads.

They simply breed hatred between opposing viewpoints, or at least a general dislike of each other, be it liberal vs. conservative, religious vs. atheist, etc...

A major point I've always made is that I have lots of very conservative/Republican friends.  My best friend whom I grew up with and went to Cub Scouts with even, is a die-hard Republican.  We fight if we discuss politics...  There's no way around it.  I'd do anything for the guy, but things get ugly if we discuss politics.

So, we make the MATURE decision NOT to discuss it...  We don't change each other's minds, so nothing positive is gained in an argument, so we don't discuss it.

Generally the W&P type discussions are discussed maturely overall, but that doesn't mean they are positive.  They do nothing but to breed ill-will among you guys, and that's not constructive here in the slightest as I see it.

I just spent a day hanging around Bill Cable and Bobafett14 at Pittsburgh's Toy Show & Comic-Con...  They're great guys, and I had a blast hanging around both of them, but I can safely tell you I agree with you most of the time (politically) Force Guy, and I disagree with Bob and Bill 90% of the time.  

I had a blast with those guys today because I don't talk politics with them though.  They're both fun guys, great to hang around, and Bob's become a really nice friend to me...  Even if I truly dislike his political opinion.  I'm not gonna change it though, and he's not able to change mine, so why push each other apart debating a moot point between us?

Sure we can do it maturely, but it still fosters anymosity no matter how mature we both may be.  It does the same between yourself and members you debate with.

I think if it were Star Wars related (not that that should foster anymosity, but often it does...  Myself included), the site wouldn't take any measure because it's what we're here to discuss and disagree on.

These topics are so serious though, that the anymosity isn't simplistic, and it becomes deeper, and it ruins what otherwise is a strong harmony in the community...  If that makes sense.  I think that's our intent with the rule.  And we're just asking that you guys respect it, and if you really want to keep the discussions going then Rebelscum's got a whole thread devoted to it there, and they can deal with the consequences.  It's their problem, and one I feel they've negligently perpetuated, personally.

We won't though...  We want all you guys to get along as best you can, even if you disagree politically, and just avoid that stuff so you CAN get along as best you can.

You'll inevitably still disagree with each other about various things, but maybe to a lesser degree, and for other reasons that aren't as serious or "hurtful" in the long run, as they are in topics like War, Politics, or Religion, and the like...

Again, if you really are upset about this, don't be as upset at the rest of the staff here as much as you should be at me.  I pushed this a little harder than the rest did for certain.  I do not, however, disagree with the decision Chris ultimately made, and I feel it's entirely correct.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2004, 05:05 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 2, 2004, 03:57 PM »
These topics are so serious though, that the anymosity isn't simplistic, and it becomes deeper, and it ruins what otherwise is a strong harmony in the community...  

For the record - After some initial animosity - Dressel is my favorite republican ever.

(no sarcasm either)

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 2, 2004, 04:14 PM »
I respect the decision here at JD 100%, and I appreciate the posts from the staff here (particularly JJ's & OCB's)  explaining the reasoning behind the decision.  I'm not angry with the decision, just a bit disappointed.  I mean, it's a shame that we can discuss silly & relatively meaningless things such as wearing/not wearing underwear, cat enemas, birthdays, the Wampa's left horn, etc., but we can't discuss the important real-life events taking place such as a war that has cost 738 lives (and that's not a political statement, that is reality).  Don't get me wrong.  I know that political discussion can become very heated very quickly, so I understand.  Precautions need to be taken.  It's just a shame that we can't discuss what's really going on (political or otherwise) in this world.  Oh well, time to start a "Favorite Jelly flavor" thread.  :)        
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 2, 2004, 05:39 PM »
I respect the decision here at JD 100%, and I appreciate the posts from the staff here (particularly JJ's & OCB's)  explaining the reasoning behind the decision.  I'm not angry with the decision, just a bit disappointed.  I mean, it's a shame that we can discuss silly & relatively meaningless things such as wearing/not wearing underwear, cat enemas, birthdays, the Wampa's left horn, etc., but we can't discuss the important real-life events taking place such as a war that has cost 738 lives (and that's not a political statement, that is reality).  Don't get me wrong.  I know that political discussion can become very heated very quickly, so I understand.  Precautions need to be taken.  It's just a shame that we can't discuss what's really going on (political or otherwise) in this world.  Oh well, time to start a "Favorite Jelly flavor" thread.  :)        

Apple.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 2, 2004, 05:41 PM »

For the record - After some initial animosity - Dressel is my favorite republican ever.

(no sarcasm either)

That's the reaction I was going for.

You're not alone.

:)
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 3, 2004, 09:23 PM »
I support the idea.  And I realize it is a tough decision to put any restrictions on an open forum.  I don' t think it is a decision to stop any of the current members, but as the forum grows, it is a genie that you wouldn't be able to put back in the bottle and you would end up with the RS situation.

But at the same time, I have to admit, I don't go into the Political Threads.  I get enough politics when I'm not in the forums.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #22 on: May 4, 2004, 06:07 PM »
I can understand why the decision was made. There are forums that are completely open to these kinds of debates, and maybe those are the places to go for that kind of talk. But I like the sense of community here, and its good to come somewhere that doesn't breed animosity.

That being said, can we start using the "S" word soon? It could be like, a trade...  ;)
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: May 4, 2004, 06:26 PM »
That being said, can we start using the "S" word soon? It could be like, a trade...  ;)

Sure Ed.  Just do it like this:  $h!t.  Close enough, eh?!   :P  (and no - you don't get busted here for "trying to circumnavigate the language filter", like at other places...  ;))

But we've discussed whether we're going to loosen the language filter a little more...  Maybe it'll happen.  Maybe not.  But we're taking the idea under advisement.  We'll keep you posted!

In the meantime, just enjoy using ASS to your heart's content though.   :-*

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #24 on: May 4, 2004, 06:39 PM »
In the meantime, just enjoy using ASS to your heart's content though.   :-*

You can bet your ass I will!  8)
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 4, 2004, 10:07 PM »
****!

I had no idea we could say ASS.

That's F'N' great!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #26 on: May 5, 2004, 07:14 PM »
I love the W&P thread over at RS (really it's the main reason I check Wuhers), but I gotta say I'm thankful there won't be one here.  I won't end up having to write everything twice over.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 5, 2004, 09:09 PM »
I love the W&P thread over at RS (really it's the main reason I check Wuhers), but I gotta say I'm thankful there won't be one here.  I won't end up having to write everything twice over.

What's the difference?  We've all said everything 900 times each over at Wuher's...

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 5, 2004, 09:21 PM »
Well, thanks ass isn't as great as other words, but it's better than nothing I suppose.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -