Author Topic: Pleasant Surprises from the Saga Line  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Pleasant Surprises from the Saga Line
« on: May 5, 2004, 02:35 PM »
With the Saga line coming to an end, I was curious if there were any figures, vehicles, beasts, etc. that you weren't especially looking forward to, but once you picked it up you were pleasantly surprised with it?  As we have been preparing for some moving, and packing some things up, I have gotten a chance to get a closer look at things again...and one thing that really stands out to me is the Saga Landspeeder.  I was psyched to pick it up at the time, but just looking at it again, that ship is really well done I think.  One of the favorite pieces in my collection actually.  Maybe not the most "exciting" ship in the OT, but some of Hasbro's best work I think.  A figure example for me would be the Outlander Club Obi-Wan.  I have since packed up the rest of my Episode II Obis, and gave the Cor. Chase lightsaber to this one, and I like it as a somewhat "basic" Episode II Obi.  There are others, but this is long enough so I'll leave it at those examples.  Anything else that stands out to you in the Saga line, that you maybe didn't expect a lot from?

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Pleasant Surprises from the Saga Line
« Reply #1 on: May 5, 2004, 03:15 PM »
Saga was really great. I can't wait to see what'll come in the future.

My biggest surpises were...

Bespin Luke
Cloud City Chewbacca
SA Clone
Orn Free

SilverZ

« Reply #2 on: May 5, 2004, 09:09 PM »
I sort of think of the Saga chapter as the "line for kids" era. Action stances, features, and expressions. I don't count the "real" figures towards the end of the line as real Saga figures. So, was a huge surprise when something like Mynock Hunt Chewie, Djas Pujr, and Ephont Mon slipped through as such outstanding figures, free of action features, right in the middle of that mess. Those were nice.

That landspeeder was really a surprise, agreed. And to think it was an exclusive. Quality all the way.

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 6, 2004, 11:09 AM »
It will be sad, to see this 2 year line fade away.  But it happens to all the lines right?  Well my surprises were:

Aayla Secura
Barriss Offee
Coleman Trebor
Wat Tambor
Qui-Gon Jinn

Who knew they would make all the jedi that they did.?
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #4 on: May 6, 2004, 12:40 PM »
I was surprised I liked the Han Hoth figure. With its silly action feature, I was positive I was going to hate it. I bought it, and I dig it.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 8, 2004, 12:29 AM »
biggest surprise from the saga line? the fact that i could actually find most of them at my local retailers. from the beginning of the episode 1 line up to the launch of the saga line finding new product in my area was tough. it felt like no one was ordering new star wars product, or if they were they were getting in very little, like a case at a time, so that they would not be stuck with it like the episode 1 figures they were - and a few still are - stuck with.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 8, 2004, 04:44 PM »
2 words:

Ephant.

Mon.

Totally unprecedented likeness and detail for Hasbro.

The thing looks like a McFarlane figure.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 06:50 AM »
with it's size it definitely was a suprise...the size also probably helped the detail too!!!!

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 01:52 PM »
2 words:

Ephant.

Mon.

Totally unprecedented likeness and detail for Hasbro.

The thing looks like a McFarlane figure.

Totally True!
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 4, 2004, 03:56 PM »
While unpacking some of the collection last night/this morning, I noticed another nice figure that I wasn't really anticipating in the Saga line...the Tusken Raider.  Something about the way this figure is posed, colored, and also its base really make it spiffy to me.  Despite the "removable head" feature, I still like to use it with my OT figures...because it seems far superior to any versions released for those movies.  Why Hasbro didn't re-attach the head and use in the OTC line I'll never understand ::)

Offline JediKnight87

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: June 4, 2004, 11:29 PM »
How about the Concept Stormtrooper... It's really rare to see Hasbro make a figure based on the original art design of a character. I'm happy that I got mine.  ;D
"Now I am the Master!"-Darth Vader

Offline Keldor

• Youngling
  • The Sith will have their REVENGE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 02:21 PM »
For me the biggest surprise was the dignitaries, ever since I found out that those guys had a name (menaing they weren't just called 'guy with robe') back in the late 90s I wanted figures (I even used my Easter money one year to buy the vintage one) now I wnat them to remake the vintage one ;D
"I will be Chancellor"-Senator Palpatine "The Phantom Menace"