Author Topic: Respect Where it's Due? (Star Wars Style)  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Respect Where it's Due? (Star Wars Style)
« on: May 12, 2004, 01:06 AM »
I was reading Insider tonight, and this just sort of had me a little irritated by the wording of it...

I was reading through the letters to Steven Sansweet, which he tends to answer some seemingly simple ones most of the time, but he was stumped last week I guess by a letter regarding Sabaac, and if the game were ever produced by anyone.

Sansweet said no...

He was corrected by a few, but most noteably by Bill Smith who worked for West End Games, and supplied him with the information that a Sabaac game with cards, rules, etc., was published in one of West End Games' companion books to the old RPG.

OK, fine enough right?  Answers the question that it WAS produced, right?

Well, yeah, but then Sansweet went on to say further that he still holds true that he was right.  He said,

"I still stand by part of my original answer about there not being any 'real' sabaac game:  In the 'real' sabaac game there are 76 cards in the shape of gaming chips withelectronic innards that make them change value randomly during play."

All due respect...  There's no "real" game at all, and it's all made-up crap by EU authors.  The West End Games licensed concept of Sabaac's as equally "real" as some other EU creators concept of how that game "really" works.

I found that rebuttle of his somewhat tacky I guess...  Picking of nits in a fanclub magazine, and to me it was disrespectful to the West End Games staff and Bill Smith in particular to contradict him like that.  To imply his game was somehow worth less in the view of Sansweet and "fans".  I've seen some other WEG bashing in the past as well, just not from someone respected like that.

Yeah, a senseless post...  Just had some thoughts to share about something that has no real topic but here to stick it in.  :)

MisterPL, do you have any expansion?  I know you have connections to WEG...  Or I thought you did.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Respect Where it's Due? (Star Wars Style)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 01:37 AM »
There's few worse character traits than someone who can't admit when they're wrong.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 02:28 PM »
It's definitely a quality flaw...

Beyond that though, I found it just generally insulting to not just Bill Smith, but West End Games staff of the past who worked to be the FIRST that really gave Star Wars an Expanded Universe.

They're not always accurate, and didn't always do (or were allowed) all the research they needed to do, but they did originate EU (IMO) really.  They were the first to expand on countless background characters...  Give characters names who only had ILM or Kenner nicknames up to that point...

They're also some of the better EU overall.  Their "mistakes" were rare and relatively minor, where they didn't get a ship's scale accurate or something.  Great stories, unique characters...  Other EU authors or sources have chosen to often not pick up these resources and USE them in their own EU.

Case in point, Thrawn Trilogy Spacetrooper (In the comic adaptation) cmpared to the original Spacetrooper from WEG which is far superior.

For Sansweet to have just dismissed WEG's Sabaac game as "not real" was silly to me.  It goes against LFL's own stance on EU, which ALL of that crap's EU in the end.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 04:45 PM »
There's few worse character traits than someone who can't admit when they're wrong.

Oh the irony...   ;) :D ;D 8)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 09:56 PM »

Indeed ironic that you would comment here, true.

:D

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 10:28 PM »

Indeed ironic that you would comment here, true.

:D

I'm confused... Did I somehow get forwarded to the the W&P thread at 'scum? Nope. My mistake. j/k :P Ah, wilderness.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 10:29 PM by Deanpaul »
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 10:33 PM »

I'm confused... Did I somehow get forwarded to the the W&P thread at 'scum? Nope. My mistake. j/k :P Ah, wilderness.

No, KBZ just decided to drag it here for a very misguided moment.

We're fine now.

Back to Mr. Sansweet  :D

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 11:18 PM »

No, KBZ just decided to drag it here for a very misguided moment.

We're fine now.

Back to Mr. Sansweet  :D

It was only a small joke and not meant to be in bad taste.  Sorry.

As for Sansweet - maybe someone should tell him that his Action Figure Archive book is chalk full of mistakes.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 11:20 PM »
Like calling Han Hoth's coat blue???

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 11:42 PM »

;D

...I meant like having a bunch of instances where figures that came with black guns are shown with blue and figures that came with blue guns are shown with black.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 11:44 PM »

;D

...I meant like having a bunch of instances where figures that came with black guns are shown with blue and figures that came with blue guns are shown with black.

Kinda odd that Kenner did that in the first place.  I never saw a blue gun that wasn't a Super Soaker.