Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting  (Read 61076 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2005, 07:23 PM »
Seems though that Hasbro has plans to keep the line around for quite some time... funny how so many people thought it would end right after ROTS.

Hey, I gave them until June, so they've still got time to ruin all the forward momentum they've built up.  :-*

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2005, 07:49 PM »
Personally, I hope the MPire figures clog shelves everyhere so that Hasbro gets the idea that novelty nonsense is a waste of time.

These are cute and all, but I'm just not starting any "new" collections.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2005, 08:44 PM »
Seems though that Hasbro has plans to keep the line around for quite some time... funny how so many people thought it would end right after ROTS.

Hey, I gave them until June, so they've still got time to ruin all the forward momentum they've built up.  :-*

We'll see how it goes in 2006.  I think we all knew it would still be around in 2006.  It's after that year am I am going to be be nervous about.  Although the TV series may keep interest going.  I hope. 

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2005, 12:00 AM »
I don't know why everyone is so gun-shy about Hasbro doing TV show figures.  I'm sure Hasbro's been dying for Lucas to make a TV show.  TV shows sell a lot more product than movies.  They're on once a week, and will play all year, as opposed to being in theaters for 4 months every 3 years.

I think that Hasbro was cautious with the animated Clone Wars stuff becuase no one knew how good the show would be.  The Second season of Clone Wars was too close to E3.

I predict a strong toy line to go with each the 3D animated show, and the live action show.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2005, 09:03 AM »
That's a good point.  I think the TV series (both of them), if done well, could really be a good deal for Hasbro and for figures.  Like speedermike just said, it is always at the forefront...being on (through new episodes or reruns) virtually year round.  Plus, this could be a series that reaches both collectors and kids, like Hasbro always wants.  Kids are a little more "flavor of the week" in their movie choices as the year goes on, and once the hype dies down, I think the "kid collectors", if you want to call them that, dwindle considerably.  I think we'll see a pretty good push of figures to accompany both of these upcoming shows, especially since Hasbro has made mention of the series already.  You know they're thinking about it.

Offline TheBlackDog

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 1, 2005, 12:55 PM »
I think that the line will be fine over the next 5 years min. With the things that Lucas is going to be doing (TV, Animated, books etc) there are enough collectors to keep this line in business. One point I think is critical is the fact that Lucas has crossed generations with the movies and with his products. I am 40, my son is 11 and he is a HUGE fan of SW. My son will probably collect (he is loose and non-completist, which I think more and more kids are, even as they transition to adult hood) long after I quit.
Anyway, I think  the line has staying power, its proved that before and you have to remember, Lucas will probably release the extended editions of the prequels at some point like he did the Orginial Series. This is not like my beloved LOTR which is dying a slow death with every wave having variations of Legolas, Aragorn and Frodo with 1 new high in demand figure.
" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 1, 2005, 09:37 PM »
Yeah, Star Wars has a lot more going for it now than when it did at the end of ROTJ.  I just never though Lucas would do a TV show. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2006, 03:31 PM »
This is a subject I got to thinking about again here after looking at the new Sideshow Star Wars lineup, as well as reading now that we could see anywhere from 60-80 basic figures this year.  As much as I like new figures, and many/most will be repaints or repacks, that just seems like an insane number to keep up with (especially with price increases).  With what we know now about what is coming up, and some of the rumors, where do you think the basic Star Wars line is headed in the future?  Where would you like to see it go?  Or, have you had enough?

Although I know there are a lot of figures that people still want to see, and I truly do hope they all get made so that most everyone can be happy, part of me wouldn't mind seeing the line become a little more limited.  Now, of course I'm in control of what I buy, so I know I don't have to buy everything, but I do have a hard time passing on new figures if they get made.  That being said, would anyone else like to see the line become a little more limited?  Going from 60-80 figures a year down to maybe 30?  Is that too many, or too few?  This is assuming that they are all "all new" figures, whether they are never before done or they are resculpted figures....no repacks, repaints, etc.  Each of the figures would be the top of VOTC in quality.  Meaning main characters would have a well sculpted, well articulated, "end all be all" version in each of their respective "looks/outfits", and army builders like Stormtroopers, Scouts, Rebel Troopers, etc, would all be the same.  There would also be versions of background characters (or resculpts of them) that would be very well sculpted, and articulated where necessary or appropriate (such as the upcoming Hammerhead, Hem Dazon, etc.)  All of the figures would come with an assortment of weapons, again where appropriate, instead of just "a blaster" or "a lightsaber".  I'm thinking along the lines of the accessories with the Evolutions packs, but just with one figure (maybe not quite as much if it was too much for the package).  Or, bring the Evolution packs back altogether, especially for army builders.  I mean, think of an Evo pack with a SA Stormtrooper, SA Snowtrooper, and SA Biker Scout with all the trimmings, and that everyone could find (that would be the tough part).  The packaging could be something spiffy too for the basic figures, as long as it didn't drive up the cost even more (or was used as an excuse).  Maybe something fancy like Sideshow is doing with their 12" line, or maybe similar to the VOTC.  This could work for OT characters, the opinions seem split with the prequel ones on if VOTC cardbacks would be appropriate.

Then, how would you like to see them released?  Would you prefer they were available online?  At all mass retailers, or maybe exclusive to one (which could be a big pain I know)?  Direct ordering online could be great, but not if it caused the headaches that the Sideshow line seems to have caused so far.  If everyone could be guaranteed to get one (or several), it could be great, but I don't know if that can be done or not.  If you go the "retail exclusive" route, you run into situations where people don't have a store in their area, or it just overall makes the figures tougher to get because all the collectors (or scalpers) know to hit that one store to get the newest Star Wars figures.  I'm just throwing it out there as an option in case a retailer, say Wal-Mart, decides they don't want to carry the basic line anymore.  There could also be an element of "DTC" that Hasbro already uses with their smaller scale GI Joe line.  I don't have personal experience how that has worked out, but I'm sure someone else could chime in on that.  If everyone is able to get the figures they want, etc.  Anyways, long post to say this, but what where would you like to see the Star Wars basic line head at this point?  What would you like to see?  How many figures do you want in a year?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2006, 03:50 PM »
Good idea bringing this topic back up, I think this is a good time for a new discussion.

Where would I like to see the line go?  I think from what we've see coming out in 2006, we have a lot of product, no argument there.... so I don't know what I can say about 2006.  I think it's already pre-determined.

I'd like to see a few things come about for 2007 - a lot depends on what we see in terms of the TV series, so this is just speculation.

(1) Depending on the variety of characters in the TV series, it's hard to determine... if the series does take off, I'd like to see around 30 or so figures from the series, and about 20 or so non-TV figures from the movies, basically at least one wave of figures from each of the films.

(2) I don't want VOTC packaging... just too pricey.  I want the basic $5-$6 figures, with articulation and nice scultps.  It can be done, ROTS proved that.

(3) For army builders, I do want to see some sort of Evolultion type line to continue.  How about an Imperial Forces pack - Stormtrooper, Snowtrooper, Biker Scout like you said, and a Republic Forces pack - ROTS Clonetrooper, Galactic Marine and BARC Trooper?  Then maybe a Jedi pack, with an ultimate Mace Windu, ultimate Qui Gon Jinn, and an ultimate Obi Wan Kenobi?  Then a few more nice Evolutions sets sprinkled in.  Maybe a Rebel pack, with a new Rebel Fleet Trooper, Snowspeeder Pilot and ultimate Endor Rebel.

(4) Playsets, I want some more damn playsets.  Nothing too large, but some somewhat movie accurate ones in the $30.00 range.  Maybe some modular ones with a bonus pack in of 1-2 army builders on each one.  Go for REALISM Hasbro!  Realistic looking Star Wars stuff is always popular, so do it with a playset or two and you might surprise yourself with the negative outlook you have on them.

(5) Vehicles, I don't need a ton of them to be released, but for once since the Royal Starship, how about a nice $100.00 new vehicle like an AT-TE or Turbo Tank?  You're killing me Hasbro by not offering something like this.  Heck, make it an exclusive for a crazy price, just make it.

(6) Get rid of the gimmicks.  We don't need Choppers or Force Battlers.  These are a waste of money for both Hasbro and the retailers.  Stick to the 3-3/4" line - and maybe you can try and make a decent playset or large vehicle instead of dabbling with crazy secondary lines.

That's what I'd like to see.

:P
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 05:38 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2006, 04:17 PM »
I don't want VOTC packaging... just too pricey.  I want the basic $5-$6 figures, with articulation and nice scultps.  It can be done, ROTS proved that.

That's one point I didn't exactly cover.  I don't really want VOTC packaging either if it is going to drive up the price (which it would).  I guess when I was talking about that I was more thinking along the lines of retail backing off a little bit on the Star Wars brand overall, and the basic figure line might be most (or all) we had.  Then perhaps it would go more towards a "specialty product" like the Sideshow 12" line is now.

You also bring up good points about playsets and vehicles, which I forgot to mention too.  I'd like to see playsets make a comeback too, although i don't know how likely it is.  I wouldn't even mind seeing things like the Dagobah and Ewok Village playsets just get redecoed/re-released from the vintage molds, even though new sculpts would be better.  I'm always a fan of vehicles too, and hope we see them continue in some capacity.  Although I'd like to get some more all-new ones, or newly scaled ones, I'm sure they will be few and far between at this point.  If I could see one vehicle that hasn't been done yet in the modern line, and that fit into a retail pricepoint, it would have to be the Cloud Car.  I'd like to see an AT-TE as well, even though I know it would be pricey (and sadly, probably quite underscaled).  Great ideas on the Evolutions sets, that is an idea Hasbro really should have pushed further.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2006, 04:55 PM »
A few things I want to see for '07... (In Order)

1. Playsets. The POTF2 line had tons of cool, $20 playsets, and Hasbro could just rerelease those. I'd love for The Big H to rerelease that $20 Endor Imperial Bunker Playset. Hasbro could also sprinkle in some larger playsets, like a rerelease of the Vintage Ewok Village and Death Star Playsets, and also a *new* $80 Echo Base Playset. I'd buy that.

2. Vehicles. I want to see harder to find vehicles in the '07 SAGA line, such as TIE Bomber, A-Wing and even a Endor Speeder Bike. I'd also like to see the Imperial Shuttle, and I think it could be done. The main problem when Hasbro released the Imp. Shuttle was they picked the worst possible store to have it as a exclusive. I know of no FAOs near me, or within a 100 mile radius either. If Hasbro released it at, say Target or TRU and at a lower price ($70-$80), it would do far better than it did.

3. TV Series Figs. If there is a live-action show in '07, I want to see a modest line (about 15-20) of figs for the show. All out articulation, truckloads of accesories, the whole nine yards.

4. No unneccasary sub-lines. I'm talking about Force Battlers, Attacktix, SW "Choppers" (Who the ***** idea was that?), and Titanium Figures. The Choppers are sitting like hell at all my Targets, and same with the Force Battlers. If Hasbro stopped making all these stupid sub-lines, I'd be a happy man.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 04:56 PM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2006, 05:52 PM »
1) TV Series - if it's out next year?  Again like others have said about 10-15 figures initially depending upon what the characters are.  Hopefully their will be 10-15 figs worth getting.    I just don't want them to go nuts with the TV merchandise initially in case it bombs. 

2) Also I want the figures to remain in the $5-$7.   Anything over that and I will be done with getting basic figures for the most part.  The $7 right now is REALLY pushing it for me.  That is the max I am spending unless it's something like the VOTC line, but to he honest even that is borderline for me.   

3) Get rid of those sublines as well like Choppers and Transformers, etc.  What a waste. 

4) I'd like to see them drop the basic figure numbers down in 2007.  I hope they start focusing on SA for basically every figure.  I know some figs like Fortuna that is not needed.  But for things like that Weequay Jedi it's a let down to not have poseable knees, etc.  I don't want to really see an army builder like a Snowtrooper not be SA any longer.  There is no reason for that anymore. 

4) Playsets - Now that there are hundreds and hundreds of SW figures it's time to make SOMETHING for the figures to be placed into.  I can't imagine that Hasbro and retailers can't reach some sort of middle ground here.  Instead of making all those Choppers and Transformers and Unleashed battle packs that will rot on the pegs dive into this area a bit more.  The first one I'd recommend is a DS playset.  If that means making a bunch of smaller ones that interconnect, or plastic dioramas, or something like those Trash Compactors sets then fine.  I don't want to see them crank out a bunch of playsets at one time, but get going on these.  If that DS thing does not work out then I can see them dumping it.  But at least make an effort to make something cool so that people would actually want to buy it!!!  Don't make those crappy DS Chasms and a 6 inch long Detention Blocks.  If the retailers don't want them then try something out with EE or StarWarsShop.com.  Those places don't mind jacking up the price on something.   We'll all expect it to be high. 

5) Vehicles - Get the Cloud Car out onto the shelves allready with a repack of that OTC Cloud Car Pilot or 2 of them.  That fits into their $20-$30 range of vehicles.  Like Chewie said pop a larger vehicle out there like the AT-TE.  Make it an exclusive to a chain or SWShop.com.   The shop loves to jack up their prices so why not let them jack up the price on that AT-TE?  LOL!  I can't imagine people won't buy one if it's made and is nice.  They spend over $100 on figure statues, FX lightsabers, props, etc.  Why not a high end vehicle?

6) Evolutions -  These are just begging to get made.  Army builders in particular.  Padmes, Kenobi's, Luke's, Hans, etc.  We could all think up of stuff. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2006, 06:07 PM »
Wow.  I've just seen a couple of posts supporting vehicles and playsets.   :)

I agree, if they say to justify making something like this that it would cost more, so be it.  Let TRU or some e-tailer pick it up.  I'll shell out more money for it, but make it quality.  Try out the modular Death Star idea.  If that won't work, nothing will.  So try the most likely hit first.  Then take it from there.

:P

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2006, 09:12 PM »
I feel like if I buy 5000 sets, you buy 5000 sets(Chewie)
then Hasbro HAS to make more then we get our more Playsets Chewie!

Seriously, until Hasblo makes a quality product (see failed ROTS mustafar playset) people won't buy. So We're stuck in a loop- Hasbro uses poor sales (on a ****** product) to claim we (The customers) don't want a playset- so they don't make it. :(

Show me a quality product at the same mustafar price, yes-they CAN do it, and I'll buy!

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2006, 09:55 PM »
I have to admit, I feel like I am getting an overdose of 3 3/4 these days. Maybe it wouldn't be that way if the saga figures didn't seem like a $2.00 more expensive version of the OTC line I loved in 2004. And with many of the same faces.
I started out 2006 buying the carkoon and Hoth waves, but after seeing Bib # 3 still suck and some of the less than stellar items coming in future waves, well I don't know what to think of the direction Hasbro is taking the line. I know there are others I am looking forward to (just about any trooper, R5-D4 etc), but I have already decided I will not be getting a "complete" saga 2006 collection. And the reasons are equal parts price hike and too many rehashes too close together. I find myself getting into Kubricks and enjoying my older items (action fleet and micro playsets, along with the 3 3/4 scale ships.

Now I'll rant about my favorite pet peeve. Chase figures. If Hasbro perceives a lack of excitement about the 3 3/4 line, and thinks chase figures are the answer to infuse the collecting community, well I think they are #?@@ing nuts. Figures aren't exactly getting ordered in mass quantities by the big discounters these days. Shelf space has been reduced, and the pegs that are there only get a case or two at a time, and sit empty (or with bib) the rest of the time. Chase figures will lure the hot-wheel scalpers back into the action figure aisle, convincing them that a free $5.00 profit is waiting for their unwashed selves if they can beat a collector to the foil card. Stack on top of that the fact that you may have to buy a certain number of harder to find figures in order to get a mail away, and you have all the makings of a disgruntled and disappointed collecting community. I love the idea of mail-aways, and think it is the only way for a company to truly reward their loyal cash cows. If the retailers are squeamish about playsets, make them the mail away offer. Send in POP's for 20 figures, get a chunk of death star. Make 1/2 dozen that go together in some fashion, and I will be all over it. You've got the hanger bay, detention block, garbage chute, chasm, tractor beam control station, govenor tarkins conference room, etc.

OK, enough of the rant.

Give me 30-40 figures a year max. Toss in 2-3 ships, and a couple of evolutions sets, and I might try to keep up. And try to keep figure costs down. I have to agree with Darth Slothus- give us a quality prduct at a good price, then tell us whether it succeeds or not. Hasbro has made a couple of efforts to revive lines (action fleet and 12" come to mind) and then kill it with the assortment choice. The 2002 action fleet line was doomed the moment they released the Xwing and Darth's Tie- those two had been on clearance just a couple of years prior. 12" line? How about poor quality and boring characters (Dengar and Imperial officer anyone?). And now the unleashed line will come back with repaints as a debut. And when it predictably falls on its' own face? "Collectores don't want the line" will be the response.

I can see it's time for my medication. But seriously, less can be more, if it is done right.