Author Topic: You've got to be kidding me...  (Read 4233 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
You've got to be kidding me...
« on: May 14, 2004, 04:25 PM »
That new poster of the OTC figures had better not be the real thing ...why in the world would they actually re-release some of these figures?  Do they want the worst peg-warming problem of all time???

Seriously!  Why in the world are they repacking that terrible Bib Fortuna?  Or the Jawa 2-pk?  And Wicket? The already overproduced Cantina Han and All New Likeness Leia?  Oh my God...

By my count there are only -7-SEVEN-7- all new figures in this entire bunch.  I don't mind seeing a few rehashes like the harder to find SAGA figures and a few POTJ figures here and there, but this is ridiculous.  

Dear God, please knock some sense into someone at Hasbro.

:P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: You've got to be kidding me...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 04:47 PM »
I agree, I was holding out for a modern Bib Fortuna, since I didn't have one in my collection...but I didn't think it would be this one:

I would have rather seen Wicket updated a little bit too, or at least include another Ewok or two with him.  They could have at least put Logray in there too.  I don't mind all the rehashes, and I can understand why some are there....but it would have been nice to have more than 7 new figures.  Also, it would have been nice to vary the rehashes a little, and not include all HOF figures that have already been released.  Maybe a Bespin Capture Han or others from the POTJ range.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 07:38 PM »
Good call.  The Bespin POTJ Han would have been such a better selection than the ANH one.  

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 12:12 AM »
Agreed on Bespin Han, especially considering the ANH one was just out not long ago, and didn't exactly FLY off shelves.  I know I saw him repeatedly...  Sold eventually, thank god.

The POTF2 figures, almost in their entirety, are figures I'd like to see redone in some fashion...

-Wicket...  Needs redone.  I'm sorry, he's oversized, he's POTF2-ish in sculpt and needs that update to really make him pop out.  I'd even pay the $4.99 JUST for Wicket.  No other Ewok, just him...  Spare me this POTF2 rehash.  Not to mention this figure's not exactly ever been tough to find.

-Bib Fortuna...  Easily one of THE tops among my resculpt list, the Bib Fortuna is terrible.  He was terrible when he was first released I thought, with his awkwardly sculpted body, undetailed headsculpt, etc...  Imagine a layered sculpt today, with the robes separate pieces, the Twi'Lek armor thing a separate piece...  Not to mention, once again, he was extremely easy to get all through his run.  Sure he goes well with Jabba, but...  God Hasbro, are you TRYING to make pegwarmers?

-Gammorrean Guard...  Yeah, I know, I like it too...  One of the rare instances I wouldn't care about resculpt or not much, but would changing the skirt piece to have a functioning holster with a blaster (or even the one Luke comes with) be that much of a problem?  Would new arms at least be much to ask, so he could hold a pike?  Or would even a unique "cleaver" axe ala the vintage have been too much?  Come on.  :(

Are all these decisions poor?  No...  Like I said, I agree on POTJ Bespin Han being a GOOD re-release idea, but some of these are terrible.

The only + I've seen so far is it's a break from collecting in general.

I love the cards too...  And I love Lobot and the Cloud Car Pilot's shaping up to be a top figure barring any unforseen snafu's.  

Short of that though, these repackaged figures are not Hasbro's best foot forward for a DVD release they've known about for some time from what other LFL Licensee folks have said.  

The Vintage OTC are looking more and more appealing, no matter what the price...  I dunno about you all, but come next fall I think I'll be so desperate for new stuff I'd pay $30 a piece for good new figures, much less $10.

All the while, I'll be looking at figures I already own on really nice cards that I'd like to have NEW figures on them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 02:19 AM »
Yeah, like we've been talking about in the Recarded rehashes up the ying yang thread, Hasbro's going way the hell overboard on this stuff.  They're going to owe the collectors BIG TIME after all this rehashed stuff that will fill out the remainder of the year, from what it sounds like.

Like I've said numerous times though, I LOVE the OTC cardback design, so i think all these recards will definitely look great from a carded collectors standpoint, though it'll obviously still piss off a lot of carded completists to have to buy these all again (and again, and again...)

Pretty sad though, since I had such high hopes for some stellar new product coming out of the the OTC line.  Looks like it's going to be nothing but a big marketing tool now.  Boy, if Hasbro knows what's good for them, they'll announce some all-new figures right quick!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 11:36 AM »
Yep, they really need to get their heads out of their asses and get their tails in gear here.  This whole OTC deal looks like it could be a major flop if they don't make some serious changes.  How could anyone make such a stupid assortment of repacks?  I think that at least HALF of these OTC figures should be all new sculpts, not just 7 figures.  

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 12:32 PM »
That's just the thing...I don't know if it is the re-releases that bother collectors so much, its just that there are SO DARN many of them (and a few that should maybe not be re-released, but rather resculpted).  Although I think we know that we can be a little "tough to please" sometimes, we are somewhat reasonable with our expectations of the OTC line for the most part.  The cardbacks seem to be a huge favorite of carded and loose collectors alike, and I don't think so many people would be mad about the overall line if we were getting say 18-20 new figures, instead of 7.  About half would be ok....they could have had re-dos of Wicket, Gam Guard, and Fortuna (instead of the POTF2 retreads), and add a few more new figures and we'd be all set.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 04:51 PM »
Just to play Devil's Advocate here...How many '03 reissue figures are you seeing?  I'm referring to the figures that were listed in the late 2003 line.  Frankly, I don't see many of them at all.  I'm not seeing too much of the Hall of Fame wave sitting around for very long, either.  Is anyone else seeing this stuff warm the pegs?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 04:53 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 06:05 PM »
The original Saga 03 re-releases sold through very quickly, but the Hall of Fame versions are starting to peg warm here in MN Target stores.

Vader/Stormtrooper/R2 sell very quickly...

3PO/Han/Chewie/Luke sell eventually...

Leia/Maul/Anakin/Yoda/Obi-Wan are sitting now....

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 01:17 PM »
Its crap like this whole line that makes me glad I stopped buying small figures and have focused on stuff like the busts and Unleashed
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 09:06 AM »
It wouldn't have killed them to make a new Bib, he really could use some help. Whatever, I am standing by my word and only buying the NEW figures.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 05:11 PM »
I am so glad I am not a completist and just a loose collector.   I do love the look of these cards and if weren't for the timing.... just bought a new house last September, new baby coming in July, and other things making money tight, I would buy some of the figures as extras to keep carded.  I'm definitely skipping on most of the re-issues, but if I had the money, I'd buy a lot of the core characters to keep carded.