Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 111423 times)

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #165 on: December 8, 2006, 05:38 AM »
Ahh yes, another quality comment that ads much to the discussion at hand, thanks Matty your contributions are priceless!

Anyone else that isn't holding these tired old grudges like these two have some opinions to the contrary?
« Last Edit: December 8, 2006, 05:39 AM by Lady Jaye »
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 8, 2006, 07:20 AM »
I think an unbreakable vow with Dumbledore is out of the question.  Dumbledores very nature is that he is/was very trusting.  I can't see any circumstance where he would put someone in a position to keep a promise or die.

With Snape, Rowling always makes us think incorrectly about him.  In the first book, it looked like he was after the stone, but turns out to be good instead.  In GoF it looks like he and Karkarov may be up to no good, but it wasn't the case.

His training Harry while fleeing the school may be more misdirection, espicially if he is playing both sides.  However, I think Rowling is writing him to be good, probably due to the fact he was in love with Lily and he can't forgive Voldemort for killing her.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #167 on: December 8, 2006, 10:31 AM »
Ahh yes, another quality comment that ads much to the discussion at hand, thanks Matty your contributions are priceless!

Only the best for you, Bertha.

Anyone else that isn't holding these tired old grudges like these two have some opinions to the contrary?

Stop ass-raping the exclamation point like it's going out of style, and I'll stop making fun of you about it.  How'd that be?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 8, 2006, 11:28 AM »
How about this then

Harry Potter sacrificing all of his magic power and ability for some unforeseen reason in the movie...and some stupid-made-up rule about 'once you do this, you can never get the power back...'

This way, you could in a sense, kill him off in a different way.

and Jeff...I laughed at your humor but, honestly, I've thought of that several times..what if Snape WAS Potters' dad? How would that change things/help move the plot of the next book/film?

I mean, what if the lil punk was Snapes' kid and he gave him up for adoption?
Or...what if Snape knocked Harry's mom up before she got married to Harry's dad? Hmmmm

The DS

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 8, 2006, 01:07 PM »

Stop ass-raping the exclamation point like it's going out of style, and I'll stop making fun of you about it.  How'd that be?

Jake: Well, maybe I don't use my exclamation points as haphazardly as you do.

Elaine: You don't think that someone having a baby warrants an exclamation point.

Jake: Hey, I just chalked down the message. I didn't know I was required to capture the mood of each caller.

Elaine: I just thought you would be a little more excited about a friend of mine having a baby.

Jake: Ok, I'm excited. I just don't happen to like exclamation points.

Elaine: Well, you know Jake, you should learn to use them. Like the way I'm talking right now, I would put an exclamation points at the end of all these sentences! On this one! And on that one!

Jake: Well, you can put one on this one: I'm leaving!
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #170 on: December 8, 2006, 04:13 PM »
They've made too many comments on how Harry looks like James Potter (except his eyes...he has his mother's eyes), for him to be Snape's kid.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 8, 2006, 04:44 PM »
True, I overlooked that

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 8, 2006, 06:07 PM »
How about this then Harry Potter sacrificing all of his magic power and ability for some unforeseen reason in the movie...and some stupid-made-up rule about 'once you do this, you can never get the power back.This way, you could in a sense, kill him off in a different way.

Hey, not bad!! I can see it working in everyone's favor. She makes it so it would be hard to bring back her character, but there is always that chance if he's alive! And she does it in a way that the fans will still have Harry in their lives! ;) But if Harry is a Horcrux, there will always be a chance for he who must not be named ti return!!
-Vincent

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 8, 2006, 06:38 PM »
But if Harry is a Horcrux, there will always be a chance for he who must not be named ti return!!

Maybe Hermione figures out a way to rid Harry of being a Horcrux at the cost of Harry losing his powers. Though without his magic, Harry is still an excellent Seeker and goes professional, becoming the Wizrding worlds best Seeker ever without any magical powers. That would still make Harry happy and still keep him in the Magical community.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 8, 2006, 07:40 PM »
I like that EXCEPT..how could he be a world class seeker and ride the broom without magic ability?!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 9, 2006, 09:09 AM »
I like that EXCEPT..how could he be a world class seeker and ride the broom without magic ability?!

Not sure, but maybe it's something that comes naturally to him... kind of like riding a bicycle, he's had the training so he'll never forget it. I don't recall if Rowling said that only the magically-inclined can ride brooms, it's just assumed so. Maybe it's not the case. Muggles don't consider it since it's all bad, pagan and make-believe.

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 9, 2006, 12:00 PM »
I think that's just it! To end the story of Harry Potter, which the entire series is on, he either has to die, or as was suggested, his powers have to go! There's never been any mention if a wizard could lose their powers indefinately or not, at least not that I've seen or read. If he does lose them, it'd be a great way for Harry Potter to go on with his life, sadder without his powers, but alive! We'll see I guess!
-Vincent

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 9, 2006, 05:27 PM »
There's never been any mention if a wizard could lose their powers indefinately or not, at least not that I've seen or read. If he does lose them, it'd be a great way for Harry Potter to go on with his life, sadder without his powers, but alive! We'll see I guess!

I highlighted "indefinately" because maybe Rowling will pull an X3 ala Magneto... whose powers seem to slowly recover at the end. Of course, Magneto is one powerful mutant like Harry is a wizard.

I can't wait to read the final book... hopefully he doesn't buy it in the end, but that's not for me to decide.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 9, 2006, 09:33 PM »
She's not going to kill Harry; that's a stupid idea.

Even though the titles have grown progressively "darker," it's still a series of children's books.  No author is going to have a main character with whom kids have identified get killed...no matter what a bunch of adult-aged adolescents think.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2006, 04:02 AM »
...no matter what a bunch of adult-aged adolescents think.

OK then? :-\