Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 111413 times)

Offline JediKnight87

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #30 on: June 4, 2004, 11:36 PM »
I saw Harry Potter on Wed. in Hollywood for an advance screening. The theater was nice and the place was packed. Glad I got there a few hours early. It was a mad house! The movie was great, I really enjoyed it.
"Now I am the Master!"-Darth Vader

SilverZ

« Reply #31 on: June 5, 2004, 05:48 AM »
The first one bores me so much I have never seen it straight through in one sitting. The second one was an improvement but hasn’t moved me to watch it even a second time.

Checked the new one out tonight and really, really enjoyed it. It’s vastly superior to the last two from story, to acting, to direction. Even John William's score leaps past his work on the first one and kinda-sorta work on the second. This one rocks.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: June 5, 2004, 09:34 AM »
I've read this is Williams best score in a long, long time...I liked Catch Me If You Can but the last really good one he did was Schindler's List

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 5, 2004, 02:22 PM »
I saw the third flick yesterday, good film. The music was great, and had a lot of notes that reminded me of SW. If you do go see it GET THERE EARLY. We got there just after they had started seating everyone, and it was packed.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #34 on: June 6, 2004, 04:18 AM »
We tried to see this on Friday, but when we got to the theater, every show had long since been sold out for the rest of the day and night, so we had to watch Troy instead...

But we did catch Harry tonight though.  It was a lot different than the first two.  A good film, and definitely a lot darker, as everyone has already pointed out.  The kids are much more grown up, as are the themes and dialogue and such, which I think is what made it feel a lot different than the first two.

For some reason, I think I liked the first two a little better though.  I think it was because the kids were still young and wide-eyed, learning so much and also getting to know eachother.  In this one, the kids already know their stuff, and know one on another, so that element, along with some of the wonder and magic, is no longer as exciting and evident in the film.  I think it also felt different 'cause the kids were dressed in real clothes, and much of the movie took place in "real" environments (like the outdoor stuff).  So it seemed a little more connected to the "real world", and not quite the fantasy world of Hogwarts that was so much fun to go and play in.  Seemed a little disjointed and choppy to me in the early going as well.

A couple other things that bugged me a bit...

[size=8]SPOILERS[/size]
I thought they practically ruined the character of Malfoy in this one.  He didn't have much screen time, but when he did, he was getting his ass kicked and literally crying as a result.  Hell, even Hermaine decked him.  He was probably our favorite character in the first two films - such an evil young kid.  His expressions, ego, and taunting were just a joy to watch.  But now he's been shown to be a total wuss, and can no longer be taken seriously as Harry's school rival.  Not sure if this was because of the book (which I haven't read), or if it was a conscious choice of the filmmakers, but I miss the old, evil Malfoy.

I also felt a little like I was watching Back To the Future during that one long sequence.  This story also just seemed to cover the first week of school, or so.  I enjoyed watching the series of events progress over the course of their school year in the the first one, and even TCOS seemed more drawn out.

But those few qualms aside, it was still a good movie, and HP's still a movie franchise that I greatly enjoy spending some time in, if but only a few hours a year.  One question, who'd win - the POA Dementors, or the LOTR Ringwraiths?   8)
« Last Edit: June 7, 2004, 12:51 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 7, 2004, 12:02 AM »

[size=8]SPOILERS[/size]
I thought they practically ruined the character of Malfoy in this one.  He didn't have much screen time, but when he did, he was getting his ass kicked and literally crying as a result.  Hell, even Hermaine decked him.  He was probably our favorite character in the first two films - such an evil young kid.  His expressions, ego, and taunting were just a joy to watch.  But now he's been shown to be a total wuss, and can no longer be taken seriously as Harry's school rival.  Not sure if this was because of the book (which I haven't read), or if it was a conscious choice of the filmmakers, but I miss the old, evil Malfoy.

I also felt a little like I was watching Back To the Future during that one long sequence.  This story also just seemed to cover the first week of school, or so.  I enjoyed watching the series of events progress over the course of their school year in the the first one, and even TCOS seemed more drawn out.

But those few qualms aside, it was still a good movie, and HP's still a movie franchise that I greatly enjoy spending some time in, if but only a few hours a year.  One question, who'd win - the dark ghost thingees in POA, or the Black Riders from LOTR?   8)

Matt, the thing with Malfoy I'm not sure if he was protayed that way in the book or not, its been a while since I read the book.  The thing about the time of the movie was shown differently then the way which the other director of the first two did it. In this one we see the changes in the weather with the wrompping williow, Fall (leaves falling), Winter (snow covering) Spring (The Thraw of the Ice and Snow).  We are also told by a few characters about events of the year Professor Lupin says he will help Harry after the hoildays (which we know is christmas from previous movies) and Heriomne tells Harry that Professor Mangango gived her that object at the bringing of the first term.  THe thing that bugged me a little was how different the grounds of Hogwarts look like compared to the other movies.  
Overall I liked this film but hope they will allow for more run time even if this means getting a first and second version of any future films so that we don't lose stuff from the story.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2004, 05:23 PM »
Well,

I got a chance to see HP3 last night.

Good Stuff  :)

My wife and I both gave it thumbs up!

I liked the "Buckbeak" CGI.  Pretty cool.

I also liked Black... too bad about him in the next book/movie though.   :-X

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2004, 08:57 PM »
I really liked it, but I think this is a case where they moved away from the source material too much.  Mainly in regards to the relationship between (SPOILERS) Black, Lupin, Petigrew and the Potters.

Beyond that, it was visually striking, and yeah, that was John Williams' best score in years.  Fantastic.

Durge

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2004, 09:02 PM »
Well,

I got a chance to see HP3 last night.

Good Stuff  :)

My wife and I both gave it thumbs up!

I liked the "Buckbeak" CGI.  Pretty cool.

I also liked Black... too bad about him in the next book/movie though.   :-X

Jeff

It's actually the movie after the next. :'(

Durge

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2004, 09:03 PM »

[size=8]SPOILERS[/size]

WTF? Why no damn spoiler warning!? >:(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2004, 04:10 PM »
The title for Book 6 is....

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #41 on: August 2, 2004, 10:46 AM »
Saw Prisinor this last weekend, good movie, loved the darker tone and how they showed a lot more of Hogwarts this go round.  I agree they glossed over the relationship of the Potters, Pettigrew, Lupin and Black...it sort of wasn't that way in the book but it worked well on screen.  Hermione and Harry are great, Ron is awful...I wouldn't be sad if he was recast.

Looking forward to see how this goes, Goblet is super long and I've heard either talk of lots of editing or two movies...interesting

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #42 on: August 4, 2004, 11:13 PM »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #43 on: August 4, 2004, 11:41 PM »
Good choice.  I always liked him.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #44 on: August 4, 2004, 11:43 PM »
Don't cruise Potter sites too much but anyone have any scoop on their plan for Goblet?  2 Movies shot at the same time?  Large amounts of editing leaving lots of stuff out?