Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 112074 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #360 on: July 14, 2009, 04:10 PM »
I have a ticket for a 12:05am showing tonight/tomorrow morning.  Can't wait.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 15, 2009, 06:17 PM »
What, nobody else see this last night?  When I bought my ticket on Monday they had 2 screens for Potter and I was in the second theater, when I got there last night they had 7 screens open and half of them were sold out.  They lined us up in the mall hallway and let us into the theater in batches as it got closer to midnight. 

My theater was mostly sold out but there were still one or two decent seats when I got in.  The film didn't start till 12:30 (after the previews) and it was 3:00 on the nose when I walked into my apartment after the movie. 

On the movie front, it rocked.  I really liked the film.  There was a lot of humor and some action but it did a really good job of setting things up for Deathly Hallows. 

Spoilerish stuff, but not really...

The only thing I didn't really like about the film, and it had nothing to do with the plot, was that the location for the Weasley house changed and when they showed us the Hogwarts Express travelling to school, they showed the train in some desolate bog type area instead of the lush mountainous areas they've used before.  I don't know exactly why the change other than for the train ride, at least, they did it to set a mood.

Also, we got new looks at Hogwarts and I could be wrong but it seemed like they changed classroom locations again.  The main Hall looked different also, but that might just have been some deco update, I'm pretty sure it was the same hall. 

Anyway, those things stood out.  The film had a different feel to it than the previous films, partly beause there was no ongoing trials, really, for the main characters.  It was mostly relationship building and character development, and history lessons.  Still, the film flew by, it was a good story.

We didn't see as much of some of our favorite characters in this film.  Less screen time for Hagrid, Neville, the Weasley twins, and some of the other Gryffindor regulars.  Some of them were relegated to background cameos more than anything.

But, excellent!  Can't wait for next year for the start of the final installment.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 16, 2009, 12:38 AM »
I just got back, I thought it was really good.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #363 on: July 16, 2009, 12:39 AM »
I just got back, I thought it was really good.
::)  Nice review Cine Jr ::)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 16, 2009, 12:41 AM »
White Power.

By the way, why don't they have Ginny look more like this in the movies:

Hermione's a doll.  Why Harry would pick Ginny, who looks and acts like a thumb in the movies, over a cutie like Hermione?
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 20, 2009, 12:38 PM »
So did anyone else catch HBP this past week/weekend?  We got out to a matinee yesterday, and really enjoyed it.  I expected to, because I've liked them all, but I will say that I did notice omissions and condensing of certain scenes more this time.  It might just be because I just re-read the book prior to seeing this (I haven't really done that before), but it seemed more apparent to me this time.  I guess I expected the ending sequence at Hogwarts to be a bit more "actiony" as it was in the book.  Aside from that though, I really enjoyed the movie.  It does make me look forward to Deathly Hallows (Part 1) next year big time.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 20, 2009, 12:59 PM »

Hermione's a doll.  Why Harry would pick Ginny, who looks and acts like a thumb in the movies, over a cutie like Hermione?

The Weasley's are suppose to be poor and get everything 2nd hand. Having Ginny look like this wouldn't fit.

So did anyone else catch HBP this past week/weekend?  We got out to a matinee yesterday, and really enjoyed it.  I expected to, because I've liked them all, but I will say that I did notice omissions and condensing of certain scenes more this time.  It might just be because I just re-read the book prior to seeing this (I haven't really done that before), but it seemed more apparent to me this time.  I guess I expected the ending sequence at Hogwarts to be a bit more "actiony" as it was in the book.  Aside from that though, I really enjoyed the movie.  It does make me look forward to Deathly Hallows (Part 1) next year big time.

I saw the movie on Saturday morning and I enjoyed it too. I am going to have to re-read the book as well. There was a lot from the book that they cut out and a fair ammount that they changed too. 2 more years is what it is going to take to wait for both parts of Deathly Hollows to be released and in that time I am going to re-read all the books, but especially Deathly Hollows since it appears that they are not cutting out a lot for that movie. I almost wish that they had made GOF, OOTP, & HBP 2 parters as well to cover more of the story's.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 20, 2009, 02:12 PM »
We saw the movie over the weekend.  I enjoyed it for what it was but as I've said after watching each one... it reminds me why I like the books so much more.

I thought the movie did a credible job of moving the plot along without radically changing the way events happened.  I'm definitely glad that Deathly Hallows will be split into two movies.  However, even doing that I'm sure the script will still have to cut out chunks of the story.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #368 on: July 20, 2009, 09:31 PM »
We saw it today and it was great!  I'm looking forward to the last two films.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 28, 2009, 12:39 AM »
Saw it tonight and thought it the weakest of the bunch thus far.  Not saying it was a bad movie, just the least enjoyable from an action, character development, plot movement standpoint.  I did enjoy it, but it could have been better. 

Can't believe none of them are hooking up with Luna.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #370 on: July 28, 2009, 10:00 AM »
Saw it Sunday.  Liked it a lot.  I saw the few reviewers who gave it negative reviews mostly complained it was a bridge movie to the finale.  I honestly have no problem with that given that the finale is guaranteed.  As the movies are meant to be enjoyed as a series, I can't see faulting the filmmakers for treating it as such.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 28, 2009, 01:32 PM »
I loved it.  Each one starting with 3 has been better than the last IMO.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 28, 2009, 11:38 PM »

Ginny cleans up well doesn't she. ;)
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline DP

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 29, 2009, 01:48 AM »
eh...i kinda think Harry Potter is dumb....the books are better
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 01:51 AM by DP »

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 29, 2009, 09:17 AM »
eh...i kinda think Harry Potter is dumb....the books are better

Of course the books are better. When are movies ever better than books? In a movie you have to try and cram 700 pages of plot into 2 hrs.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within