Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 111455 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #420 on: September 22, 2010, 01:16 PM »
I never did stop back in here after CV.  I went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter attraction at Universal with the guys I drove to Florida with, Jace and Chris, on Monday after CV.

The attraction was packed all day.  There were huge lines for all of the shops and the Three Broom Sticks which is the food option for that section of the park.  Jace and I did the castle tour but I skipped the two roller coasters, it rained and they were both off for a while and I didn't feel like waiting in the lines afterwards, plus I'm not a huge roller coaster fan anyway.

The shops and decor of the attraction are really cool but I think they could have used a couple more shops and definitely could have used more space for the shops that are there.  I walked through Zonko's and Honeydukes and hit Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods, which is as the exit to the castle.

I completely missed the Dervish and Banges store but I think it was because the line of people for Olivanders was wound out past that store.  The line for Owl Post was also long enough that I didn't wait for it.

The lines for Olivanders were so long, in fact, that they added a separate cart near the castle that was selling wands for people interested in buying but didn't care if they missed the wand selection with the cast members.  I ended up buying two wands and got them from the cart instead of the store.  I actually waited in line behind Jay Laga'aia who was at the park with, I'm assuming, some of his family.

There were also carts around the attraction selling shirts and some other items that you would normally find in the stores.  They also had a huge Butter Beer cart and a couple smaller carts selling pumpkin juice and other drinks.

Besides the wands I picked up a pin at Filch's Emporium and a chocolate frog.  There was additional HP merchandise at the large store near the entrance.  That store had stuff from all of the various attractions around the park so, from a shopping standpoint, it was easier to look there than in the dedicated stores in the attraction.  That's actually where I bought my frog.

We got to the park around 11:00am and left at 9.  Jace and Chris had passes for both Universal parks and they visited the second park while I stayed at Islands of Adventure, where HP is.  So I had plenty of time to walk around the full park as well as the HP area.  I would have spent more time in the HP area but I really didn't feel like waiting long periods of time in lines to see the stores when I wasn't planning on buying anything, it just kind of felt like a waste of time.  I would definitely go back, though, I had a fun time at the park and would like a chance to look through all the stores and maybe have dinner at the Three Broom sticks.

Since the HP attraction is still so new, it's going to be a while before the lines start to settle down.  I was a little surprised at how packed the place was on a Monday in August, but I still had a good time.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 22, 2010, 11:39 PM »
But how was the ride?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 23, 2010, 12:57 AM »
The castle ride?  Didn't go on it.  Apparently it wasn't built for someone that stands 6'4" as the over-the-shoulder restraint couldn't close over my shoulders. 

Still went through the castle to see the sights, though, which was interesting.  There were really long lines though so, while we stopped to listen to the talking paintings and hear Dumbledore talk about Harry, it was a little rushed.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 23, 2010, 10:54 AM »
Full Trailer for Deathly Hallows - Part 1 is now online, looks great to me.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 16, 2010, 01:39 PM »
So....anyone excited for Deathly Hallows - Part 1 this weekend?  We're heading out sometime this weekend, and looking forward to seeing it.  I've been busting out the BD/DVDs of the previous movies over the past few weeks, just to watch them all again and it has been a good time.  Although I like some more than others (as with any franchise), I really think that this is a well made group of movies overall.  Sure there may be a bit of rough acting from the kiddos in the early installments, but overall they are all pretty strong movies to me.  I always think this franchise reminds me the most of what Star Wars (the OT) was to us in our day.  Nice family movies (although getting darker now) with strong characters, interesting supporting cast, and nifty visuals.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 16, 2010, 01:46 PM »
I've never felt anywhere near the excitement for any of the films as I have waiting for the new books back in the day. That was a freakin' EVENT. I was so stoked when this installment was finally published. Now that the movie is here? Meh.

I haven't even seen the last 2-3 because I got so bitter over how much they were leaving out from the books. (Still disgruntled about SPEW)

That said, I am making an effort to catch up because some of the later stuff I am very curious to see play out on the big screen.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 16, 2010, 08:50 PM »
Wont watch this one, till the second part is due, i'm sure it will be out on blue ray by then and you can almost bet some theatres will run them both back to back
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 16, 2010, 09:46 PM »
I've never read the books and I don't really care for these movies either even though I own them all up to what has been released thus far.  Blah...Long live Harry Potter?  Maybe not...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #428 on: November 16, 2010, 10:40 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing it, but not sure when due to a 7 week old baby.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 16, 2010, 11:52 PM »
I'm really excited for the movie this weekend.  I watched the first 4 films this weekend and I'll watch 5 and 6 tomorrow and Thursday night.  I wanted to go to the midnight showing but waited to get a ticket, I looked yesterday and my theater has 12 midnight showings and they're all sold out already.

So I'm going to try and sneak into the Friday afternoon showing of it.  Hopefully that won't be sold out.

E...

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 17, 2010, 10:09 AM »
I'm really looking forward to it as well.  I'll be taking my nephew to see it on Black Friday.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 21, 2010, 12:17 AM »
Saw the new Potter today. I really enjoyed it. Easily the closest version to the books yet. Sure there are some things left out or changed but all in all it was very well done.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 22, 2010, 01:03 AM »
Just got back about an hour ago from seeing Potter.  I thought it was excellent.  It felt very true to the novel but a couple of little details were changed that I thought wouldn't really have needed to be changed.  I liked the way they filled in some of the research...what took chapters in the novel was easily handled in a few short lines of dialog without seeming forced in.  And it was great to finally meet Bill Weasley even though I've always thought they should have introduced him and Charlie more in line with how they were in the novels.

The film is definitely a tear jerker.  The movie was barely underway and it had a sad vibe to it.

I also thought they picked a good spot to break it till part 2 drops.  It made as much sense as any other point I could think of.

E...

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 22, 2010, 09:22 AM »
It felt very true to the novel but a couple of little details were changed that I thought wouldn't really have needed to be changed.  I liked the way they filled in some of the research...what took chapters in the novel was easily handled in a few short lines of dialog without seeming forced in.  And it was great to finally meet Bill Weasley even though I've always thought they should have introduced him and Charlie more in line with how they were in the novels.

E...

They JUST introduced Bill?!?! WTF? He appears WAAAAAY before the last book.  ::)

I'd love to hear about the other discrepancies, because that stuff pisses me off to no end and may ultimately decide whether I waste my money on this or not.

If you're stretching one book (not even the longest one at that) into TWO movies, you damn sure better include everything IMO.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 22, 2010, 09:29 AM »
If you hadn't noticed that Bill hadn't been in the previous films then I take it you haven't seen any of them?  I think he was mentioned, as was Charlie, but we didn't actually seel Bill till this film and I don't think Charlie is ever going to be in the films.

E...