Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 111430 times)

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2005, 10:15 PM »
So who is the Half-Blood Prince?

I've heard that JK Rowling said it isn't Harry or Voldemort, so who then?

Hagrid?  He's Half Man, Half Giant, right?

Jeff
I think there may have been a brief reference to a half-blood prince in the last book.
By half-blood, I'm assuming they mean half pure witch and half mudblood- so that rules out a bit of the characters...
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2005, 02:44 PM »
Man, I'm glad Lindsay is 18 so I don't have to feel dirty when I look at her cleavage. 
Is that next book going to be over 1000 pages?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2005, 12:58 PM »
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 01:01 PM by Scott »

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2005, 01:40 PM »
Awsome.  I think this one, like ROTS, will be the one my son misses for a while though.  I just don't see how they can be as true to the book as they have been already and not be too dark for him.

I'm assuming that we saw Fleur DeLacour  in that trailer, but somehow she doesn't look quite right to me.  Too plain.

Brendan Gleeson is cast as Mad Eye Moody, though, and that is brilliant.

And the utter perfection of Alan Rickman as Snape will forever make up for any casting bobbles.   Best.  Casting. Ever.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2005, 03:29 PM »
Not a bad teaser, but I wish they showed a little less of the previous three and a little more of the 4th.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2005, 06:33 PM »
Thought I'd bump this up since the new book will be available at midnight.  I was going to wait until the morning to go get it, but I'll be on alert tomorrow.

Also, my local theater already has the teaser poster for Goblet of Fire up in the lobby.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2005, 08:05 AM »
Bought it Saturday morning, started reading it Saturday night and finished it last night.  I won't spoil anything and will wait to discuss it until more people have finished it.  A lot of back story in this one and the ending goes by pretty quickly. 

In preparation of this book, I went back and re-read the previous five books.  I'd rate this one behind Goblet of Fire and fairly evenly with Prisoner of Azkaban.  All in all, an excellent book.  The wait for #7 is going to be a long one.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2005, 12:58 AM »
I finished the book Monday....I spent most of my alert this weekend readin it.

I agree with you Mikey....it's going to be a long wait for the next one!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2005, 10:46 PM »
I agree.  The beginning of the book rather dragged on for me but once I got in to the middle, I couldn't put it down until the end (and what an end that was!!).

So, when does book 7 come out??? ;)

I'll wait a bit more until others have finished it to discuss everything that happened but this was probably my 2nd favorite of the series.  I'll have to go back and re-read Goblets of Fire before November.
Beth

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2005, 12:40 AM »
I've never been able to re-read a book.  Damn photographic memory!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2005, 11:36 AM »
I finally finished. I have to say that I liked Order of the Pheonix more, but this one still has a brillient level of quality.

Out of all the books though, this one has me waiting for the next one the most. I can't wait and it's bummer that it's at least two years away.

SPOILER-

I am dissapointed that she took Snape to the bad side. He was my favorate character because I'm intregued by conflicted characters like his and for him to be playing the good side the whole time seems a little cheep (although it was logically thought out.) My wife and I talked about this and she seems to think that there can still be a chance Snape was following Dumbledor's orders, but I'm not so optimistic.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2005, 12:02 PM »
*spoiler below*

I agree about Snape.  It's hard to believe that Dumbledore would allow Snape to kill him as part of the plot but it does make sense since it would give Snape top billing with Voldermort.  I can't believe that Harry and company don't plan on going back to Hogwarts (if it is even open) for their final year. 

The beginning dragged a bit for me but when Harry and Dumbledore were in the cave, I couldn't put the book down until it was finished. 

I was hoping Percy might come around in this book but it looks like I'll have to wait until #7 to see if he does.  I loved the Weasley brothers store and hope they have a bit more action in book seven also.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 12:03 PM by jadesfire »
Beth

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2005, 03:09 PM »
*spoiler below*

I agree with y'all about Snape.  Although, the fact that he really is going back to the deatheaters is a twist that took us all by suprise.  My mom also read the book and we were discussing it last night and she was wondering if there was a way that Dumbledore actually staged his death.  I don't see how that's possible, but he now has a portrait in the Headmaster's office so he can still help the others, and Harry is now on the path to stopping Voldermort.

It is going to be a looong wait for the next book!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2005, 03:32 PM »
I posted my thoughts on my blog.  Spoilers in there, and

SPOILERS

I also think Dumbledore 'participated' in his own death, and given all the references to phoenixes, I'm not convinced he's dead.  I loved the book, and I can't wait for the next one.

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2005, 03:47 PM »
SPOILERS BELOW!
Remember Snape took a vow to protect Draco- he promised not only to protect Draco but to fulfill the vow Draco had to Voldemort.  The vow was to kill Dumbledore- so in doing so he is protecting Draco and doing the deed.  I think Dumbledore is dead- although you'd think the phoenix could come and resurrect him.  I wonder if Rowling is a SW fan- because to me it's very similiar to Obi-Wan giving into the force in his battle w/ Vader on the Death Star.  He can obviously still help Harry through portraits, but Harry is going to have to mature into his own powers and trust himself to defeat Voldemort. 
It's kind of sad to think one more book though... :(
You are starting to damage my calm.