Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 111398 times)

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #180 on: December 10, 2006, 04:48 PM »
HP isn't really childrens books anymore, with GOF it's really turning into adult books (the same class SW novels are in). Of course kids read them anyway, Lucas killed off Obi-Wan, Yoda & the ever-so popular(kids & adults alike) Boba(not really but kids don't know that unless they read the bigger books) & Jango Fett, why shouldn't J.K. kill Harry. I agree with Jaye he would be the happiest he's ever been. I also think she shouldn't kill off Ron or Hermione. They should have a happy ending.

I'm glad Jaye is leading this discussion. :) It's what giving us a long discussion about HP.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 04:49 PM by Artoo »
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 12, 2006, 07:57 AM »
HP isn't really childrens books anymore, with GOF it's really turning into adult books (the same class SW novels are in). Of course kids read them anyway, Lucas killed off Obi-Wan, Yoda & the ever-so popular(kids & adults alike) Boba(not really but kids don't know that unless they read the bigger books) & Jango Fett, why shouldn't J.K. kill Harry. I agree with Jaye he would be the happiest he's ever been. I also think she shouldn't kill off Ron or Hermione. They should have a happy ending.

I'm glad Jaye is leading this discussion. :) It's what giving us a long discussion about HP.

Um...okay...if by your standards, Star Wars novels are "adult" reading, then I guess Harry Potter is, too.  And so are the Ramona Quimby books, Stuart Little, R.L. Stine's "Goosebumps" series, and Superfudge.

Color me convinced...especially considering that E.B. White killed of Charlotte in "Charlotte's Web."
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2006, 09:40 AM »

Color me convinced...especially considering that E.B. White killed of Charlotte in "Charlotte's Web."

Don't forget Old Yeller.  And Ol' Dan and Li'l Ann from Where the Red Fern Grows.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2006, 10:52 AM »
HP isn't really childrens books anymore...

I think what Artoo means, and I've heard this from different sources, that HP books started off as kids books but as Harry aged, the tone of the books got more darker. Dealing with pre-adult issues. So while their not really the tone of childrens books anymore, they're not necessarily an adult book either... I'd say in the teens.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 12, 2006, 04:18 PM »
The series ends when Harry becomes a wraith to work at Azkeban forever :-*

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2006, 02:45 PM »

Don't forget Old Yeller. 

Thanks for bringing that one up... I'd almost recovered  ;)

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2006, 06:19 PM »
Anyhow, contrary to what Sprry said, there's always a possibility!! What others have done has no consequences! She is not an author in the traditional sense. I doubt she cares what others have done, she's only doing what's right for her characters! Since both his parents, Sirius, and Dumbledore are dead, it might be best for him to be at peace and join them! Sure he would leave behind Hermione and Ron, but them being together finally could comfort each other!

Again this is just an idea, a possible scenario. What would be stupid is too shoot others ideas down, just because you don't agree with them, that's stupid!
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 13, 2006, 09:53 PM »
Again this is just an idea, a possible scenario. What would be stupid is too shoot others ideas down, just because you don't agree with them, that's stupid!

I think it's fun to try and speculate about these possible scenarios (no matter how outrageous) and not get serious about it.  ;D JK Rowling will be the final say as to Harry's fate.  ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #188 on: December 13, 2006, 10:46 PM »
[obscure reference that only perhaps Virex may understand]I think Voldemort is going to fly a broom in to Hogwarts and blow the entire place up[/obscure reference that only perhaps Virex may understand]

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2006, 11:09 PM »
Anyhow, contrary to what Sprry said, there's always a possibility!! What others have done has no consequences! She is not an author in the traditional sense. I doubt she cares what others have done, she's only doing what's right for her characters! Since both his parents, Sirius, and Dumbledore are dead, it might be best for him to be at peace and join them! Sure he would leave behind Hermione and Ron, but them being together finally could comfort each other!

No, that's being hyper-critical.  Stupid is abusing punctuation marks.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 13, 2006, 11:11 PM »

Wait a minute, Dumbledore is dead?!!!!! 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 13, 2006, 11:18 PM »
What, you didn't read book 6 yet?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 11:18 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 14, 2006, 09:52 AM »
Regardless,  I could totally see her killing off Potter.  Maybe she won't because it would upset the kids, but I think she might just to put any doubt to rest that the series is caput.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #193 on: December 14, 2006, 11:00 PM »
[obscure reference that only perhaps Virex may understand]I think Voldemort is going to fly a broom in to Hogwarts and blow the entire place up[/obscure reference that only perhaps Virex may understand]

That's about as likely as Darth Maul kamikaze'ing into the Jedi Temple and killing all the Jedi except for Ben and Yoda, who are down in the Jedi Temple Basement.

(Good?)

---

I may actually have to agree with Crazy Punctuation Lady here--it would take a huge sack to do it, but I could also see Rowling offing our hero, just to prevent the bastardization of him by lesser authors and money-grubbing publishers later on.  I'd rather see him dead than see Harry Potter: The Enchanted Universe, for example. . .

P.S. Snape's still a good guy (and the best character in the whole series).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 11:02 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #194 on: December 15, 2006, 10:36 PM »
Gah, it'd be as hacky as killing off Chewbacca to boost sales.  Typical these days.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77