Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 111458 times)

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #510 on: July 21, 2011, 07:14 AM »
Finally got to see this last night.

For the Gambon/Harris debate, I think one of the biggest gripes about Gambon is that he never read (and from what I can gather, refused to read) the books.  To me, I think that is essential to being a major character in the series.  I would say he got better as he went through the movies.  He was way to manic in the beginning; a prime example is when Harry's name comes out of the Goblet of Fire.  Book Dumbledore would not have grabbed Harry and shook him like Gambon did.

Anyone feel that the pacing in this movie was rushed?  I think they could have benefited from making this installment 2.5 to 2.75 hours long instead of closer to 2 hours long.  I felt that the Hogsmead bit was rushed as well as "the sacking of Snape" (or however that chapter was titled) scene.  I feel that Part 1 came a lot closer to the book than Part 2.

As for character deaths, I think they were pretty consistent.  I guess they got lucky that the actor who played Crabbe was the one busted for pot and not the actor who played Goyle.  I do have one character death question, did Wormtail die in Part 1?  I don't recall seeing him in this movie, but he certainly didn't get his book death.  Towards the end of Part 1 when Harry and company escape the basement, did Dobby kill Wormtail, or just knock him out...it wasn't too clear.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #511 on: July 21, 2011, 07:38 AM »
He was way to manic in the beginning; a prime example is when Harry's name comes out of the Goblet of Fire.  Book Dumbledore would not have grabbed Harry and shook him like Gambon did.

That would have been the director's decision, not the actors...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 21, 2011, 09:20 AM »
He was way to manic in the beginning; a prime example is when Harry's name comes out of the Goblet of Fire.  Book Dumbledore would not have grabbed Harry and shook him like Gambon did.

That would have been the director's decision, not the actors...

So the actor has no say in their performance?  I could understand the child actors no being able to have input, but someone of Gambon's stature?  I would think Gambon would have some input, then again, he never read the books and only a script so he didn't have much of a basis to say something was out of character.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #513 on: July 21, 2011, 10:10 AM »
Even if an actor improvises, the director decides whether or not it gets into the final movie.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 25, 2011, 02:23 PM »
Report: Warner Bros to pull Potter DVDs/Blu-Rays

Apparently WB is going to create a Disney Vault of their own, placing all of the Potter movies in moratorium. I'm no Potter fan but this is a really, really dumb decision.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 02:24 PM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 25, 2011, 02:32 PM »
It's the whole panic idea, I think. Get it now! But on the flip side... out of sight, out of mind.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 25, 2011, 02:58 PM »
Seems a bit strange considering Deathly Hollows Part 2 doesn't come out for another two weeks.  Additionally, both Death Hallows movies have yet to receive the Ultimate Edition treatment and there has yet to be an eight movie set put out.  I guess this could be a precursor to the final ultimate editions and the complete series set.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 25, 2011, 08:59 PM »
I really hope that they still move forward with the Deathly Hallows Ultimate Editions.  I have all the others and it would be a shame not to have the complete release in UE format.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 25, 2011, 09:04 PM »
Seems strange with the final movie (and biggest) just being released on Nov 11, only to be put in the "vault" a month and a half later.  There is an 8 film box set hitting that day as well, but I read somewhere (I think Mugglenet or some other Potter site) that WB has already said there will be a better box set coming next year sometime.  This is one of the movies/series that I want all of them upgraded to blu, so I was tempted to get the box set, but I may just wait it out for the "super duper edition" one.  I wonder about the "ultimate editions" as well.  Personally, I just have one of them (the first movie) when it was on sale at Amazon for like $18 or something a year or so back.  It is very nice, and I like it, but the box is just so big that I didn't want to dedicate the space to all eight of them like that.  I'm pretty sure they would take up the majority of our movie shelves :).

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 25, 2011, 09:53 PM »
I still want to know why Half Blood Prince is not available On Demand or via Red Box. It's like the only way to see that movie is to frigging buy it. Stupid.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #520 on: March 27, 2012, 03:23 PM »
I never did stop back in here after CV.  I went to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter attraction at Universal with the guys I drove to Florida with, Jace and Chris, on Monday after CV.

The attraction was packed all day.  There were huge lines for all of the shops and the Three Broom Sticks which is the food option for that section of the park.  Jace and I did the castle tour but I skipped the two roller coasters, it rained and they were both off for a while and I didn't feel like waiting in the lines afterwards, plus I'm not a huge roller coaster fan anyway.

The shops and decor of the attraction are really cool but I think they could have used a couple more shops and definitely could have used more space for the shops that are there.  I walked through Zonko's and Honeydukes and hit Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods, which is as the exit to the castle.

I completely missed the Dervish and Banges store but I think it was because the line of people for Olivanders was wound out past that store.  The line for Owl Post was also long enough that I didn't wait for it.

The lines for Olivanders were so long, in fact, that they added a separate cart near the castle that was selling wands for people interested in buying but didn't care if they missed the wand selection with the cast members.  I ended up buying two wands and got them from the cart instead of the store.  I actually waited in line behind Jay Laga'aia who was at the park with, I'm assuming, some of his family.

There were also carts around the attraction selling shirts and some other items that you would normally find in the stores.  They also had a huge Butter Beer cart and a couple smaller carts selling pumpkin juice and other drinks.

Besides the wands I picked up a pin at Filch's Emporium and a chocolate frog.  There was additional HP merchandise at the large store near the entrance.  That store had stuff from all of the various attractions around the park so, from a shopping standpoint, it was easier to look there than in the dedicated stores in the attraction.  That's actually where I bought my frog.

We got to the park around 11:00am and left at 9.  Jace and Chris had passes for both Universal parks and they visited the second park while I stayed at Islands of Adventure, where HP is.  So I had plenty of time to walk around the full park as well as the HP area.  I would have spent more time in the HP area but I really didn't feel like waiting long periods of time in lines to see the stores when I wasn't planning on buying anything, it just kind of felt like a waste of time.  I would definitely go back, though, I had a fun time at the park and would like a chance to look through all the stores and maybe have dinner at the Three Broom sticks.

Since the HP attraction is still so new, it's going to be a while before the lines start to settle down.  I was a little surprised at how packed the place was on a Monday in August, but I still had a good time.

E...

We took our boys yesterday and we all had a ton of fun...it is amazing how lifelike everything was.  We ate in the three broomsticks, our boys got picked for the wand ceremony at Olivanders, the line for the HP Virtual Ride was 2 hours long.  Probably not worth it for the ride but walking through the castle and decorations was awesome. 

I'm not a huge crowd guy and I'm really not a lowest common denominator guy (which seems to be attracted to theme parks for some reason)  Needless to say that after 8 hours of standing in line in the hot Florida sun...I was wiped, a Hog's Head Ale was well deserved

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 28, 2012, 01:47 AM »
That's awesome that your boys got picked for the wand ceremony.  It looks like the place was packed...that's about how it looked when I was there.  I guess the "newness" hasn't worn off yet.

The day I was there it rained and I think that contributed to our much shorter wait to go through the castle.  We were in line maybe an hour before we got inside, but only about a half hour before we were under cover of the attraction, which wasn't bad, but 2 hours would have sucked.

I still think it looks odd with the snow on the buildings but everyone running around in shorts, and knowing it was probably 80.

I'm looking forward to going again this August, as much or more than CVI at this point.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 28, 2012, 11:10 PM »
I've been wanting to go to IOA for a long time. Its just the plane trip across the country with three kids and a motion sick wife that scares me.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 29, 2012, 08:47 AM »

I still think it looks odd with the snow on the buildings but everyone running around in shorts, and knowing it was probably 80.

Ain't nothing wrong with that....

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 2, 2013, 12:01 AM »
Dredging this thread up.  I spent most of yesterday and today watching all 8 Potter films.  I've been reading through the series again, just started Half Blood Prince, but had sort of planned the marathon a while ago. 

When we went to Celebration VI this year, I went to Universal again to see the HP attraction and on th way out picked up a couple bottles of Pumpkin Juice and a chocolate frog and figured a marathon was a good time to for them.  It takes about 20 hours to watch everything so I watched the first 4 movies yesterday and finished the rest off today.  It was a really lazy way to spend the holiday but it was fun. 

With the books fresh in my mind, I've seen the movies more, it surprised me how much GoF, OotP and HBP were changed.  The first time I'd read the novels it had been a while since I'd seen a couple of the films and vice versa next time I saw the movies.  The first three films (w/ some variances in Prisoner) are pretty accurate so I guess I forgot how different the next three are.  I still love the movies, but I think I'm a little less impressed with their interpretations than I have been in the past.

And I'm still not at all happy with the end of Deathly Hallows 2 when Harry doesn't fix his busted wand. 

Still have to finish off reading HBP and then read the DH, though. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"