Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 111442 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2004, 12:59 PM »
Not sure what to think either, it was a bit of a shock to see how much both Ron and Harry changed between Stone and Chamber and there won't be much of a change betwixt Chamber and Prisoner...Sprry's got a good point, there is no way they will be kids by the time they get even to Phoenix.  

I can see the idea behind having them continue to roles as a great way of having some continuity but it might get a bit silly

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2004, 02:04 PM »
Hmmm....I thought all of the kids were already substantially older than their characters are supposed to be.

I don't think so.  I think they were spot-on matched up agewise in the first flick, and therefore the second movie as well.  Since this third movie took an extra 6 months to get out, I think that makes them only up to half a year off now on film (not in person though).  But that discrepancy could continue to grow if they don't get back to the one movie per year schedule, which seems doubtful now...

I don't really mind if they look a little older than they should.  I'd definitely rather have that, than all new actors stepping in half way through the series.

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2004, 04:26 PM »
Potter does nothing for me sorry, can't get over the fact that these are kids books in my mind.  I know adults love them but its never donme it for me
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Pistol Pete

• Youngling
  • Maul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2004, 04:28 PM »
I'm going, love Harry and the whole world.  As far as the kids go, I say keep em, makes the whole thing a little bit more real instead of having a new group
Bang Bang

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2004, 11:30 PM »
I have not read any of the HP books. I have enjoyed the movies.
I picked up the new soundtrack and the mood is so much darker than the other two. I am looking forward to the new HP movie.

I saw a preview of the new guy who plays Dumbledoor. They really changed his look. Instead of the long beard it is now like Gandalf the White's now. I am sure the guy who replaced the late Richard Harris did a great job as Dumbledoor.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: June 3, 2004, 02:52 PM »
So who's going this weekend?  We're waiting for a while, probably catch it over the 4th of July

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 3, 2004, 03:01 PM »
I'd really like to go this weekend, but not sure if we will end up going right away or not.  We just moved, and have a lot of things around the house to take care of.  Also, we haven't seen "Chamber of Secrets" yet, so we need to rent that before we go into the third one  ;).  After seeing the first one, I'm thinking about picking these up on DVD...but will wait until after we rent the next one...but they seem like pretty good movies, much better than I expected even.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 3, 2004, 03:09 PM »
I just purchased tickets to go see it on Sunday.  I would of gotten them for Saturday but my work ended up needing me to come in to give samples of salads to custormers for 7 hours.  

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #23 on: June 4, 2004, 03:58 PM »
Just got back from seeing Harry Potter at the 11:20am showing. Not many kids at all mostly adults. I will not give anything away.

First off I have never read any of the Harry Potter books.

I think this is the best of the Harry Potter movie yet. I liked the first one but this one is really good. The movie is dark and somewhat sccccaaarrrrrryyyyyy for the kids at times. I like the dark undertone of this movie.

I thought that I was not going to like the new guy who plays Dumbledoor. Though the Dumbledoor character has changed dramatically from the previous two movies he seemed to fit in. Though I like the Richard Harris Dumbledoor a whole lot more.

The effects were good, the story was good, overall it was a good movie. I would see this again.

It is about time that Alan Rickmans character Prof. Snape gets some action in.

Now I am looking to the next Harry Potter movie which is already in production. :)

So what did you think of the movie?
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 4, 2004, 04:29 PM »
Potter does nothing for me sorry, can't get over the fact that these are kids books in my mind.  I know adults love them but its never donme it for me

No offense, but that has to be the most uninformed dismissal of the series possible (I've heard it before, too; a guy at my work said the same thing).

While the books certainly appeal to kids, and have kids--or at least adolescents--as the main characters, the stories themselves deal with much more complex subject matters than your basic Ramona Quimby novel.  There's love, lust, death, betrayal, good vs. evil, etc.  Additionally, they deal with what is actually very mature subject matter.  I mean, there's the "fun" magic stuff and Quidditch and all that, but these are the same books that brought the Philosopher's Stone and Nicholas Flamel into the mainstream (well, sort of), for crying out loud.

Alchemy and the occult have never really been the sole domain of rugrats.....

I've got tix to see a matinee with my daughter tomorrow, and I'm going to watch the first two back-to-back tonight.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2004, 04:31 PM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: June 4, 2004, 04:54 PM »
We broke out the DVDs and watched #1 aka "Stone" last Monday and then watched HP#2 aka "Chamber" oon Wednesday in anticipation.

We don't have tickets yet for HP#3 aka "Azkaban", but plan on seeing this movie either Sunday... or next weekend if we run out of time this weekend.

Looks good from the reviews I've read so far...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: June 4, 2004, 05:07 PM »
We just did the same thing Jeff.  Watched Sorcerer's Stone last weekend, and Chamber of Secrets just last night.  Depending on what time I get home tonight, and how awake we both are, we might try to watch it tonight.  If not, then probably tomorrow instead.

Of course, Patty's kinda pissed, 'cause she still wants to see Troy first, with Brad Pitt's ass everywhere.   >:(

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 4, 2004, 09:28 PM »

Of course, Patty's kinda pissed, 'cause she still wants to see Troy first, with Brad Pitt's ass everywhere.   >:(

You go Patty!!!  :D

Since I've already seen the mighty fine looking, bare-assed Mr Pitt (more than once actually), I am going to watch Potter on Sunday.  Great month for movies actually and I enjoy going when the movie first comes out (we have an cinema 8 and only one of the moive screens has THX and dolby surround sound so you have to see the blockblusters right away, before they are moved to the not-so-great screens).
Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: June 4, 2004, 10:02 PM »
I'm actually not too impressed with much of what's coming out this summer beyond Spidey2, The Terminal and this...probably won't see Shrek, or Troy although if my wife found out that Pitt's ass was in there we'd be going tomorrow (which I can't figure out, she can look at my ass all she wants ;D)

Hope you all kidless and older kids people have a good time this weekend, me, I'll just be sitting here watching the boys, sigh

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 4, 2004, 11:25 PM »
Heh, you just have to get used to being a big loser and going to movies by yourself Scott.  My wife and I do it a fair bit as we have no babysitter since the mother in law passed away :-\

Went out and saw POA tonight.  A pretty good movie all in all.  None of the characters were terribly annoying, though it was obvious Ron has put on a tad more weight than the other two.  Hardly looks 13 at all.

What was surprising was the sheer number of 13 year old girls there that are in love with Harry.  More shocking was some of the crap coming out of their mouth with respect to young Mr. Potter :o  I suppose I knew at that age that girls thought that way too but it's still surprising to here it.  One woman reamed them out in the middle of the movie, as much because they just wouldn't shut up as for what they were saying.  I like that woman :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.