Author Topic: Who Wants to Lose Weight?  (Read 10910 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Who Wants to Lose Weight?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 02:06 PM »
If I can get to my goal weight and start feeling somewhat healthy again, I'm actually considering trying something like P90X.  However, I'm curious, is there anyone on the boards who has tried this and is also almost 40?  I don't want to spend the money on something like this if there's no way I'm actually going to be able to do the workout.  Please let me know your experiences so I can make an informed decision.  Thanks.

Well, I'm 38 and just got the P90X materials a few weeks ago from a friend.  I haven't tried it yet, but do have friends that swear by it (around a similar age).  Like anything, it just requires you to start and stick with it.  Despite a New Year's resolution to lose 10-15 pounds by the Summer, I have yet to dedicate any time to working out this year.  I have been trying to avoid soda outside of eating out once in a while and very long afternoons at work.  Just that shift to more water/less soda (and always taking the stairs at work) has knocked about 5lbs off since the start of the year.  That's what I'm attributing it to anyway - maybe I'm jsut shrinking in my old age.

Will try to let you know how P90X works for me if I can ever get going on it. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 04:53 PM »
I dropped 15 lbs since December, but I don't recommend my route: seasonal depression.  :(

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2012, 04:18 AM »
I tore my ACL skiing earlier this winter, so I've done a piss poor job with my weight.  It keeps creeping back on.  But I had a custom knee brace made this week and I think it's going to help a lot with getting active again, I sure miss it!  8)

I dropped 15 lbs since December, but I don't recommend my route: seasonal depression.  :(

That usually causes me to eat more, rather than less.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:21 AM by JesseVader08 »

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2012, 10:22 AM »
... I had a custom knee brace made this week and I think it's going to help a lot with getting active again...

Jesse, did you end up getting a Donjoy brace?  I tore my patella tendon in HS but my Ortho said I didn't need a brace after I went through PT.  I continued to play sports for about another decade (baseball, volleyball) until I tore my ACL in the same knee.  After I went through PT for the ACL surgery, I had a Donjoy brace made.  I wore it for everything I played at first, but found that the straps that go across the back of the hamstrings were very restrictive so I stopped wearing it on a regular basis.  It's a great brace and would definitely recommend it to people, I'm just curious to hear what your experience will be once you get yours.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 3, 2012, 11:57 AM »

I guess I should say that the depression's the only cause. I've dropped soda pretty much from my diet (I don't have it at home) and only have it at a restaurant. I'm eating less fast food and never eat after 9. So far it's been pretty steady and it's not like I need to lose weight (those that know me would agree), but I'd like to get back to around where I was before my daughter was born. I essentially gained 20 pounds in 2 years.  :-\