Author Topic: Place Your Bets! AFA Grading my FF Weequay  (Read 12896 times)

SilverZ

Re: Place Your Bets! AFA Grading my FF Weequay
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2004, 05:55 AM »
Like you pointed out Matt, I honestly see value in preferring AFA graded items when you're a carded collector that needs a guarantee on quality, especially on vintage. The extra cost that it brings to the figure is probably justified to some collectors just to know exactly what they're getting, when you’re talking mid to high triple digit pricetags.

Dave's eBay hunt points out very well how few modern figures are actually in need of an AFA grade. There are probably less than a handful of figures that will cost anyone a large enough cash outlay to justify the “insurance/assurance” of it. It’s rather pointless to pay $51.00 for a C9+ Ric Olie, when you can pretty much guarantee tracking down an equal quality one for less than 10 bucks. To the seller’s credit, since we know the cost associated with AFA’ing a figure, that’s probably a fair price once you factor in shipping to GA, AFA fees, and return shipment to the seller. Why you'd bother, who knows.

It’s interesting to start to see some pattern to the economics of this. I wouldn’t pay $400 for a carded Sacul (hell, Weequay either) but I do understand why super-anal carded collectors might. It’s just not us.

BTW, someone bought that Ric Olie. That, I don’t understand.

SilverZ

« Reply #16 on: June 7, 2004, 03:12 PM »
Just a little status update - my package was recieved by AFA last week. They sent an email alerting me to its arrival. This morning, I recieved another mail confirming its return shipment. True to their word, they turned it around in 4 business days.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 7, 2004, 03:50 PM »
Just a little status update - my package was recieved by AFA last week. They sent an email alerting me to its arrival. This morning, I recieved another mail confirming its return shipment. True to their word, they turned it around in 4 business days.

And they don't tell you the grade in the email?  Weird.  Guess it allows the suspense to build (or time of separation to increase if it's an AFA45).
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: June 7, 2004, 03:55 PM »
Cool.  Bring it along to show Fish and I on Wednesday night!   8)

SilverZ

« Reply #19 on: June 7, 2004, 08:45 PM »
And they don't tell you the grade in the email?  Weird.  Guess it allows the suspense to build (or time of separation to increase if it's an AFA45).

Yeah, I thought so too. I'm terrified about what I'll be getting and the suspense just spiked because of the email.

Cool.  Bring it along to show Fish and I on Wednesday night!

Fingers crossed it shows and I'll do just that.  :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 7, 2004, 09:19 PM »
Sorry, not meaning to add to the fear.  Oops.  I'm sure it will grade out 70-75.  Looking forward to hearing for sure.  

Offline Dark_Kanos

• Youngling
  • Jawa Ben
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 7, 2004, 10:02 PM »
 ;) 85 ;D[color=LimeGreen85 ][/color] ;D
Jawa Ben

SilverZ

« Reply #22 on: June 9, 2004, 04:35 PM »
It arrived today, and we have someone that called it correctly in the thread. I'll update with the results and pics in a bit after I feed my face...
« Last Edit: June 9, 2004, 04:35 PM by Tydirium »

SilverZ

« Reply #23 on: June 9, 2004, 07:40 PM »
Ok, it's back! The cased figure arrived within a large, carefully packed box (much larger than I had sent it away in) with the acrylic case within, sealed in a plastic outer bag, and the Pro-Tech case I shipped it in returned, as well. Insured, with signature confirmation.  Great job.

;) 85 ;D

You sir, are quite right!  :o

Without delay, here is the finished Freeze Frame Weequay!

What a complete surprise. That's a very generous grade, IMO. Not that I'm not happy about it. I'll display it proudly. I just would have been harsher.

A couple more images are below. I went down to Aaron Brothers and picked up an acrylic display stand, as like I said earlier in the thread, I plan on displaying a few carded figures within my someday figure display case. I think it worked rather well, as you can see from the 3/4 view pic.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: June 9, 2004, 07:46 PM »
Congrats ??? ;D

That's pretty sweet and a great way to preserve one of the rarer pieces of modern SW history.  Based on what you had said I would have graded a little lower, but hey, you'll take it right

Now...off to grade my Saga Cantina Han Solo to sell to the OTC idiots

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: June 9, 2004, 07:50 PM »
Nice job, Jared!   8)

What's with the funky AFA case there (as far as sticker placement)?  You figure that out yet?  Never seen one of those kinds before...

Bring it along tomorrow night!   ;)  (so I can steal it...   :P)

SilverZ

« Reply #26 on: June 9, 2004, 08:04 PM »
You're right Scott, I'm not gonna argue with them on the grade.  8)

Matt, I haven't gotten to that yet... I thought I was ordering the version with the little sticker at the bottom of the case, which is more subtle, which I like. I've got to look into what happened there. I might have just picked the wrong case. It's actually growing on me though.

I shall bring it along for the Meeting of the Matts.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2004, 08:06 PM by Tydirium »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 9, 2004, 11:01 PM »
wow, that's a good grade for that figure. that case and sticker sure is funky thought, don't think i've seen one like that before. i didn't know they had different options that you could choose from for the cases. but then again, i'm really not that familiar with this whole afa thing anyway. but it looks cool. now, if you could get your entire collection graded, that would make an awesome display  ;D

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2004, 11:20 AM »
I shall bring it along for the Meeting of the Matts.

I look forward to seeing this coveted piece in person.

-Fish-

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2004, 11:16 PM »
Congrats on the grade.  That's a very pleasant surprise and quite a treat for that figure.  Good stuff. :)