Author Topic: Non-Spirit Obi-Wan  (Read 5316 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Non-Spirit Obi-Wan
« on: May 26, 2004, 11:47 AM »
This was one figure that I sort of felt needed some redoing (I realized this when the new Landspeeder came out) but was also was one I didn't really want too badly either.

Seeing the new Dagobah Obi who would want a non-Spirit version ala the Holo and Jedi Lukes of just a few waves ago...and why didn't Hasbro do this with the OTC version to begin with instead of wasting money on the POTJ Obi???

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Non-Spirit Obi-Wan
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 12:04 PM »
and why didn't Hasbro do this with the OTC version to begin with instead of wasting money on the POTJ Obi???

I want a non-Spirit Obi-Wan!

I guess they went with PotJ Obi-Wan because they were already molding him for the cup sets?  That's the only reason I can think of for doing that.  It would have made a lot more sense to re-use the mold like they did for Luke.  Oh well...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 12:07 PM »
That could be...perhaps they made a bunch extra during the cup runs and are sitting on them, otherwise it's really just a painting issue, make 1.5x as many and throw out a few more

Sometimes I wonder if the same people working at SSW.com are working at Hasbro too

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 04:54 PM »
I'm in for a non-spirit version of the OTC Obi Wan.  Actually, I reall, really want them to make it.  I'd like to get several for dioramas and probably for customs too.

:P

SilverZ

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 01:41 AM »
Non-spirit Obi-Wan? Yes, have some. I think it would be a perfect Obi for us plastic-over-softgoods folks. And then we can read complaints that the figure doesn't sit in the landspeeder.  ;)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 01:48 AM »
Sign me up too please.  It's definitely a nice sculpt, so a non-spirit version would be A-OK with me!  The one thing that's always bothered me about the Obi-Wan figures though, which I think keeps him from looking as accurate as he should, is the lack of a "pointy beard".  It's just too rounded off, like a normal beard, whereas it should stick out little more, and be a tad pointier...

But since we're getting the VOTC softgoods version which will work nicely with the Landspeeder, I say hook us up with another plastic, staticly posed one too (though some articulation would still be cool).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 01:49 AM »
I was just gonna say, actually, about that I'm not really jonesin' for a non-spirit version of this figure.  

I wouldn't turn it aside...  I'd put it in my Cantina perhaps since he wasn't sitting most of the time there, but I just don't really WANT this figure now that the Vintage OTC one is coming up.  To me, "old" ben is really done now if that figure's as good as I'm assuming it will be.

I'd rather they went with redoing E1 and E2 Kenobi's so THOSE two have a decent version of themselves.  As many exist, you'd think they'd have had one good vanilla one by now.

Like I said though, i'd not pass him up only because he's appropriate for a few of my collection shelves, and likely would find a home in the Cantina or Tatooine shelf somewhere...  Where he wouldn't, the VOTC would go, though that passenger seat in the Speeder's crying out for him to hop in and ride shotgun...

FINALLY!!!!  >:(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 08:46 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a "non-spirit" version of the OTC Dagobah figure as well.  It looks like a very good sculpt, and I'm actually kind of surprised that Hasbro didn't do this anyways since the molds are already made and ready to go...seems like an easy enough way for them to get some more money out of us ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 10:03 AM »
I'm with you for perfect versions of EpI and II Obi-Wan...same goes for Qui-Gon Jinn, Darth Maul and EpII Anakin

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 10:18 AM »
I agree, looking back on those characters (especially the Episode I versions), they could really stand to be re-done.  Be nice to even see VOTC-style sculpts/articulation for a few of the main characters from each of the prequel movies as well.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 04:32 PM »
I agree that it would be nice to see some VOTC style Prequel figs.  I'd even go so far as to see them on the reproduction vintage styled crds. Now that would cause some discussion!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 05:10 PM »
Done correctly, vPTC (vintage Prequel Trilogy Collection) figures would rock...  

Not to de-rail the Spirit Obi-Wan talk, but here's who I'd like to see in a vPTC line-up, complete with TPM and AotC "vintage" big photo, black/silver cards:

TPM:
Qui-Gon Jinn
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Darth Maul
Darth Sidious

AotC:
Anakin Skywalker (Jedi)
Padme Amidala
Mace Windu
Count Dooku

Ep3
Obi-Wan Kenobi
3 Others TBD

I'd consider Yoda, but I think the vOTC Yoda could double for a vPTC Yoda if we were given a small saber.

Oh, yeah, but non-Spirit Obi-Wan would rock too :)

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2004, 01:36 PM »
You mean like this beauty that scoobacca made?

I'd dare say that may be the best Ben yet, if Hasbro got their act together and made it.  No reason not to, since they rehash the hell out of everything else...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2004, 01:38 PM »
I have my pieces ready just need to find time to do one, that's a beaut though

SilverZ

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2004, 05:20 PM »
Wow.  :o That's amazing looking. Why can't they get off their duffs and do this?

You mean like this beauty that scoobacca made?

I'd dare say that may be the best Ben yet, if Hasbro got their act together and made it.  No reason not to, since they rehash the hell out of everything else...