Author Topic: OTC DVD Sets  (Read 18485 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: OTC DVD Sets
« Reply #30 on: June 3, 2004, 09:44 AM »
I just am in disbelief as to the attitude I've been seeing around the net...Oh Hasbro is selling these to kids, they are great sets for parents, I support rehashes etc etc etc

I just can't seem to fathom the logic...

#1 Why wouldn't both groups of buyers the casual and the hard core not want new figures...even if they are Main Character Resculpts or Variants????

#2 Why do people not see the idiocy of repacking the same figures 3-4 times in a year?

#3 Why doesn't it make sense to put out larger amounts of the VOTC if your goal is to have the Main characters out there

Its just maddening to me to no end and I've been accused of whining and being elitist but damn it, this would have been one of the last best chances to get some obscure OT goodness.  I don't think some of that stuff is ever going to happen because when Hasbro comes out with Hermi Odle and Yarna in 2007 Toy Fair, retail is going to say...huh? Where's Luke ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: June 3, 2004, 10:42 AM »
The Cargo Bay lists a July 21 release date, how are these going to be sold with the DVD?

http://cargobay.starwars.com/webapps/cargobay/browse/536

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: June 3, 2004, 10:58 AM »
Cargo Bay also says they are Wal-Mart exclusives...

Huh?
Strange...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #33 on: June 3, 2004, 01:19 PM »
So Wally World thought New Exclusive figures like the Resculpted Evazan and new Kitik weren't worth the effort but these PoS were worth it?  Didn't they just clearace a truckload of Cantina Sets that were full of repacks

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 3, 2004, 02:23 PM »
More and more rehashes.  I suppose if these come free (or cheap) with the new DVDs coming out, I'll pick them up.  If not, not a chance in hell I'm buying them.  Just another silly marketing gimmick by the folks at Hasbro.  I agree with the comments above, just stick some NEW figures in there (like the VOTC ones) and that would change my mind real quick!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 3, 2004, 02:23 PM »
So Wally World thought New Exclusive figures like the Resculpted Evazan and new Kitik weren't worth the effort but these PoS were worth it?  Didn't they just clearace a truckload of Cantina Sets that were full of repacks
$2 each here in Canuckada.  But I don't think Wally actually thinks.  I suspect a computer does it all.  It doesn't view these as figures, rather as pack ins.  Walmart: figures = clearance; movies = sales.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: June 3, 2004, 02:34 PM »
They are also shipping 6-8 weeks before the movies will even be IN stores.  Their buying power is pretty scary, they alone can force toy lines to end...one purchasing agent might come in and say, meh, don't like that anymore and bye bye Toy Line

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DVD Commerative Figures Could be a lot Better
« Reply #37 on: June 3, 2004, 03:51 PM »
What are everyone's thoughts on these:

ANH - Luke, Ben, R2D2, 3PO

ESB - Chewie, Leia, Han

ROTJ - Emperor, Stormtrooper, Vader

In my opinion, this is a little bit crazy.  Most of these figures are already too plentiful as it is.  I would think that some people might want them for the pure collectable factor or they might make nice gifts for someone who doesn't usually buy the figures.  But how much will these cost?

Also, I'm not too sure why some of these figures are included, most notably the R2D2; this looks to me like the version that came out back in 1995.  Why not finally repack the POTF2 CT version w/ the holo Leia?  Or instead of having 3PO in this set, throw in the CT Leia?

As for the ESB set, I think the POTJ Bespin Han is a great choice, but they should have used the SAGA Chewie and replaced the Leia w/ a repainted R3PO painted to be C3PO.

The ROTJ set is cool, especially since the Emperor was pretty hard for a lot of people to get.  We can always use a new Stormtrooper, but I think we should have gotten perhaps the CT Vader repainted some on the chestplate.  This to me will be the hottest of the three sets.

Thoughts?  Who wants these?  Do you plan on opening them if you buy them?  Will they sell well?  Would you have rather seen all new figures with these?  Or should they have not made these at all?

EDIT - Sorry this topic has already been brought up.  I had my head up my ass.

:P  
« Last Edit: June 3, 2004, 03:52 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: DVD Commerative Figures Could be a lot Better
« Reply #38 on: June 3, 2004, 03:54 PM »
No prob...I'll just merge them :-*

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 3, 2004, 04:01 PM »
Thanks.  :-[

SilverZ

« Reply #40 on: June 3, 2004, 06:14 PM »
Looks like I'll might have to consider trading for these if they are indeed Walmart packs. I don't have a WM anywhere near me enough to make regular checks for this.

I love you Hasbro.  :-* I love you Walmart.  :-*

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 4, 2004, 11:07 AM »
Well, I guess the only logical idea about these (the one that said they would be sold to non-toy focused retailers like Suncoast or Best Buy to sell alongside the DVDs) has now been blown out of the water.  How fitting that they are exclusive to Wal*Mart, who has done more to destroy the American shopping economy than any other department store in the history of civilization.  

Nice job, Hasbro.  By that I mean "nice job helping to totally destroy retail interest in the Star Wars line."  I really hope that they don't release any new figures after the 38 OTC figures before the Episode III line hits, because it's going to be near impossible to find any of them with the glut of OTC hanging around on the pegs.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2004, 03:45 PM »
Sigh

Indeed they are Wally World exclusives ::) ::) ::)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2004, 03:47 PM »
Hasbro Officially Announces the DVD Commemorative Sets:
http://hasbro.com/starwars/pl/page.headlines/id.1062/dn/default.cfm

"Celebrate the legendary Star Wars trilogy that changed the universe forever, with The Original Trilogy Collection figure 3-packs – available exclusively at Wal-Mart this Fall! This collection brings to life the incredible story of good versus evil that captured our imagination and took us to a galaxy far, far away. The finest recreations of iconic Star Wars heroes and villains are back with incredible detail to commemorate each epic tale in the classic trilogy: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. DVD not included."

NOTE that last part:  DVD not included.

>:(

What a waste.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2004, 04:50 PM »
I'm curious if these sets were more a result of Walmart pushing for them than Hasbro randomly turning out yet another rehash exclusive to pony to retailers.

It just seems like something that is so plainly targeted at the mass-market Walmart DVD buyer, with core characters and matching packaging, that it's almost too intentional to be something Hasbro just "whipped up" and shopped around to retailers. It feels like something Walmart came to them for, or had direct input in.

These are so not for collectors, and so for J6P, that Hasbro couldn't have done it on their own.