Author Topic: Are Realistic Face Sculpts a Good Thing?  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Are Realistic Face Sculpts a Good Thing?
« on: June 6, 2004, 12:05 PM »
In my opinion, no.

These last few Saga waves (Star Destroyer, Yavin, Tatooine) have had some impressive new humans in the mix of droids and aliens, with a definite "bump" in facial detailing.

But at what cost?

To me, these figures (Captain Antilles, Jan Dodonna, Admiral Ozzel, Jedi Luke, even Skiff Lando as prime examples) all look a little too much like corpses. Something has been lost in the "life" of the figure, something that too much detail seems to be causing. (Not to mention the fact that, while the sculpt may be more detailed, the painting has not gotten better, and with these new tiny details, the painting in fact looks worse than it did on larger, more defined areas.)

I haven't seen the Endor Generals in person yet, but I have doubts Lando and Madine will look any more life-like there.

Also on the horizon, the pics of VOTC Han Solo's head are just downright creepy to me. It just disturbs me. I don't know if I want to own that figure.

Anyone else disturbed?

Durge

Re: Are Realistic Face Sculpts a Good Thing?
« Reply #1 on: June 6, 2004, 10:25 PM »
Nope. I like detailed sculpts. The paint is not always perfect, but most of the details show through.

If you'd like I'll trade you the remaining POTF figures I have for some of your new stuff. ;)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 8, 2004, 02:46 PM »
I am 100% for the more detailed sculpts.  This is the first I've heard of someone yearning for the POTF2 facial sculpt days.  

I do agree that it would help many figures out though if the paint jobs were done better.  My 4 Jabba's Palace Lukes look fine, as do General Lando and Madine.  Most of the Ozzel's I have seen are pretty bad though with the paint application, and I have yet to see an AT-ST Han.

:P

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 9, 2004, 03:42 PM »
This is the first I've heard of someone yearning for the POTF2 facial sculpt days.  

Don't misunderstand. I have no desire to move backward. Some of those POTF2 Monkey-faced, He-Mannish heads are worse even than the simpler vintage style.

I guess I just prefer the more cartoony detour to the realism, especially for how it works at this scale. It's sort of like a manga comic, with hyper-realistic backgrounds and objects but alongside faces that are more glyph than human.

To illustrate, I prefer:

to

I wish I had a larger picture of Screen Scene Han's head, it really does look a million times cleaner than the images of Endor Han I've seen.

(In the meantime, I have seen images of a production VOTC Han, and I'm ready to take back my earlier comments. If quality control is maintained on these things, thet really might be the best versions ever.)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 01:28 PM »
I kinda understand your point there Bob, but even when Hasbro doesn't quite get it right (i.e. corpses), I'd still prefer they strive for the most realistic face sculpt they can come up with.  Unfortunately, they'll never quite nail any dead-on, but I think they've been getting a little better of late.

Sure as hell wish they'd let Gentle Giant do the face scans though.  God, that would be a beautiful thing...  :-\

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 03:50 PM »
Yeah that Han looks terrible.  Hopefully in the OTC assortment they will do a better job on the paint jobs.

I think it's more paint jobs than anything being the problem, but that's just me.  I totally understand your point Muftak.

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 08:32 AM »
Wow! what a TERRIBLE paint job...my hope isn't that they are just trying to pump them out but to give us quality along with the quantity

Offline Mandalorian Rage

• Youngling
  • Fear the Mandalorians
    • View Profile
    • Ethos
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 06:28 PM »
I like realistic face sculpts. IMO they're in every way better than POTF2 besides the paint jobs...it gives a whole new demension to collecting, though! (i.e. searching through about 20 Luminara's to find one with a decent paint job)

People passing by probably think I'm completely weird, staring inside of these action figure packages, a wild look in my eye... ;D
Utinni!

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 10:25 PM »
I definitely look for the best paint jobs available, but unfortunately sometimes there is only one figure available then it is grab, grab, grab, and hope later that you find the same figure in better condition...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 01:02 PM »
I know what you mean guys.  Sometimes though if I feel crazy I will buy a figure with a bad paint job just to customize it and fix the problem.