Author Topic: Episode 3 Packaging Revealed!!!  (Read 33393 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Episode 3 Packaging Revealed!!!
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2004, 01:01 AM »

Really digging this pic

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2004, 01:17 AM »
I hope they carry the specific backgrounds over.  More costly I'd assume, or at least more time-consuming to someone who is saddled with desiging them, but it is what really stands out n the OTC ones to me.

I like the Lava though...  I can just see it getting old, like previous cards have after the films are gone.  
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2004, 02:52 AM »
That's an awesome scoop, Scott.  :o So I take it you're saying these are packaging mocks created by Lucasfilm for sample products suggested in the styleguide, not packaging mocks coming from actual licensees on actual products, right?

I'm going to post what's bound to be an unpopular take here - this is the first time I've ever actually winced at Star Wars packaging. I honestly do not like it. I find it gimicky, over-designed, and frankly screaming with a voice that says "mark me down and put me on clearance!"

I can see the scene-specific backgrounds being dropped just from a practical standpoint that Hasbro's access to shot finals and the time involved in routing approvals for their use may be too time consuming to do on so many figures in a short timeframe.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2004, 03:24 AM »
Yeah, not much of a fan of them myself either.

BTW, nice scoop there Scott.   ;)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2004, 03:47 AM »
Yeah, nice scoop Scott.

Not very eye candy to me. Maybe in time.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2004, 05:37 AM »
Not exatley on topic, but, does this statement disturb anyone else? It's from last year's Wizard World when Dustro interview Andy:

"HASBRO: I love articulation myself. The market is a little bit different now, where you’re going after kids in the movie era, you can’t succeed if you don’t get kids involved. You need to build collectors who will be collecting for the next 15 years. There are certain things that kids like to collect themselves, and there are certain things diehard collectors want to collect. Kids love the action poses features. We’ve done the research, and it’s proof that they love that sort of thing. We basically have to please the best of both worlds,"

Now to me that statement means that it is actually possible that the Action Features will return next year. God, I hope that's not true! Colmen had better get the scoop on that!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2004, 05:43 AM »
It's nice to see the new packaging design for E3 but I don't care for it. It has too much black. But hey, I didn't like the E1 packaging either. Here's hoping the  incredible OTC cards make a triumphant return with NEW figures some day.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2004, 03:52 PM »
Nice scoop Scott.  It is nice to get a look at what the packaging is going to look like.  To me, its ok.  Its kind of neat, but nothing to get me super psyched up about either.  I think maybe part of that is the fact that we are just now seeing these beautiful OTC/VOTC cardbacks, and other designs kind of pale in comparison.  If we were just coming out of the Saga cardbacks, this would probably be a more welcome change to many.  That said, the lava, and Vader helmet/scowl do look pretty cool, and I do like the look for what it is.  It is a good "generic, helmet and colored background" cardback, but like I said, just doesn't look as pretty as the OTC stuff.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2004, 03:58 PM »
Anyone guess why JD's been down all day????? :P :-*

I've got some mixed feelings, I like it and all but I'm with most people in the fact that the OTC cards are as good as it can possibly get.  It will be interesting to see how Hasbro takes this style and changes it for their Card Back

I'd like people with some photoshop skills (which I don't have) to take a crack at them seeing these new shots too

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2004, 09:19 PM »
I don't like the lava.

At all.

I do, however, like the logo that doesn't look like it's drop-forged, and Vader's helmet is certainly striking.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2004, 10:09 PM »
I like it as an example of what it could be hopefully we will see it change a little for the Figures and Hasbro product.  I think if this would be the final product then most people who are hating it would probally get use to it like some people did with the blue saga cards.   I also think that most people have seen the great cards of the OTC and has caused any other cards to look less appaling.  

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2004, 10:13 PM »

You have GOT to be kidding me..... ::)  :-X :P

Well, since you're reading big H, change the packaging-it sucks.
Beth

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2004, 10:26 PM »
Hey, I've seen those pics and they do look cool, although I'm not totallly sold on the design. So I took it upon myself to create my own 'Fire' design and wondered how to post it. I can email it if that would be easier.  :)
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2004, 11:16 PM »
Frank

e-mail me: ocb75@yahoo.com and we'll host them here

I may even collect them and put them in the story if I get enough

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2004, 12:44 AM »

I was wondering what shut you Jokers down again.  Was bugging Dale about it over at snowtroopers.ca all day but he was giving me one of these :-X  I figured either you guys let a cat out of the bag or Berry was running off at the mouth again :D

Thanks for clarifying they were mock ups.  I still hold out hope for a prototypical X-wing and Tie type of fighter craft for this film, following along as the progression has with clone -->stormie.  

Nice scoop though.  The lava and general package design doesn't bother me nearly so much as the departure from the classic Vader helmet.  This looks fairly cartoony and as though they were trying to make something that is already menacing to kids even more menacing.  Sad but they don't seem to realize it was a well written character with a suitable outfit that made it menacing, not some corny scowl better suited to a slasher flick.  Sigh.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.