Author Topic: Digital Cable Modem  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
Digital Cable Modem
« on: June 13, 2004, 11:14 PM »
For those of you who have Comcast or other Cable Digital Cable Modems do you have this problem?

When I turn on my computer the connection is there straight away. But then after ten to fifteen minutes the connection is gone. But then after a few seconds it is there again. This repeats over and over every time.

I have called my cable company and they have told me that the signal is strong. They even had a tech come to the house and check everything out. It is all good. I even replace my modem but still have the same problem.

I thought the connection is always susposed to be there 24hrs a day.

Any suggestions?

Please Help!

For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Digital Cable Modem
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 11:45 PM »
i would say have the cable company send someone over and make them them stay until it happens while they are there. it definitely sounds like a problem.

the only thing i would say you could try would be to get a new network interface card. maybe the problem is not with the modem but with the nic you are using?

are you running the line through a router or straight from the modem to your pc?

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 07:49 AM »
I did not think of checking my card. I will have to do that.
I have it setup modem straight to my computer.

SilverZ

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 01:15 PM »
You don't by chance have one of the older shark-fin style CMs, do you? I had horrible problems with dropouts/synch issues with one of those, until it finally completely died.

Otherwise, the only other problem is could be signal strength over the cable line in your place. Are you running RG6 cable all the way to the modem? I'm assuming that you're seeing the connection lights on the modem itself go out when you lose connectivity?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 05:44 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 08:09 PM »
This happens on occasion to me and others I know. Not once was the problem inside the house. But...

Make sure all connections are tight, the fittings are properly crimped, and that the cables aren't damaged. If another nic doesn't work, try using another computer. If there's still a problem, exchange the modem. And if that doesn't do it, you've done everything you can and they won't have an excuse to not come over.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 08:12 PM by Jedi Idej »

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 01:10 PM »
The modem I have is only about a year old. It is a Motorola SB5100 SURFboard Cable Modem.

When I had the comast internet service activated Comcast had to lay all new lines in the house because the old lines would not carry the signal.
There are a few splitters in the house I will have to check them out to see if the connections are tight.

Other than that I have tried just about everything I could think of. I even tried plugging the modem into another line and computer. The same thing happens. The lights go out on the modem and I loose the signal. It is getting frustrating.

I just may have to have Comcast come out and check it out.

Thanks for all of your help.
If you have any more suggestions please let me know.

Durge

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 01:48 PM »
I'm not sure what the temperature in your room is, but I've found that extreme heat can cause a cable modem to malfunction.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 04:09 PM »
I have had the same problem with my DSL modem, but it's wireless. What finally solved it was setting static IPs....because when the connection dropped, it was always because the DHCP server was trying to give my computer a new address.

I think with Cable it runs differently to begin with (it's been awhile since I used Comcast) but that may be something to try.
Got Clones?

Offline Infamy Of Crete

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Mellars
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 05:51 PM »
A neighbor of mine had a similar problem. When he bought his modem I suggested he get a router with a firewall. I recommended the linksys(which is mine) apparently he wound up having a few configuration issues.  

A a precaution when I set up my comcast I (personally) ran rg-6 cable through my house. I was also adding High Definition television so it just seemed like a good Idea. Anyway if your running a router you might wnat to check the router or the firewall protection. Sounds like something on boot up and that's a prime suspect.