Author Topic: Best Restaurant In Your Town  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Best Restaurant In Your Town
« on: July 8, 2008, 11:23 PM »
I love dining out, and Pittsburgh has a ton of great places to eat...  Primanti's is sort of the city's trademark place, but it's nothing elegant...  Just an experience you should try.

My personal favorite place is Hoffstot's Cafe in Oakmont, Pennsylvania...  Oakmont is where the U.S. Open was held last year and has a pretty (obviously) well known country club at it.  Oakmont as a town is nice, with cobblestone streets and old shops/buildings.  Hoffstot's has a variety of foods and really does everything well from Italian to salads to steaks.  I love a good Filet Mignon there, and their Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake is fantastic...  Their Pecan Balls with Amoretto Chocolate sauce are insanely delicious too, and I've not had a better cup of regular coffee in my life.  The bar area makes some of the best drinks around too, and watching the Steeler game having a beer there is a fun time too.

So what's your place?  What does your city have to offer?  Maybe it would be a good thing to know for people who travel to various cities...  I've found places on my own usually in other cities I've been to, but knowing what the locals love sometimes pushes me to go to their place if I'm in their town.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
Re: Best Restaurant In Your Town
« Reply #1 on: July 9, 2008, 12:52 AM »
Technically I live in windsor co, but they don't have anything special, However 10 minutes up the highway into Fort collins is the Old town area. The original city that has been refurbished into lots of shops and restaurants. Right in the heart of Old town is a micro brewery/pub.
Cooper smiths.

Best food out there. Half pound burgers that are to die for. Awesome barbecue, awesome house soups and tons of other original dishes. Def. an awesome place to eat.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 9, 2008, 12:08 PM »
Minneapolis & St. Paul have a ton of great places..

List of my personal Favorites

Italian - Cosseta's in St. Paul
Pizza - They are all the same to me. (Prefer Charbroiler in Milwaukee)
Burger - Was Andy's Tap till they closed in '07 now is 5-8 Club (Juicy Lucy)
Greek - It's Greek To Me (but if I just want a Gyro to go; DINO's all the way.)
Mexican - Fiesta Mexicana (Red Wing MN)
Asian - Khan's Mongolian BBQ
Bar - Old Chicago simple because of selection
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 9, 2008, 12:24 PM »
I prefer dining at the McDonald's inside my neighborhood Wal-Mart.  They have a really good sandwich there called the double cheeseburger and it only costs a buck!   :D

Ya no.  I actually only go out to eat when we have our monthly SW meetings so whatever Ryan just posted should be right, I guess.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 9, 2008, 12:39 PM »
I love dining out, and Pittsburgh has a ton of great places to eat...  Primanti's is sort of the city's trademark place, but it's nothing elegant...  Just an experience you should try.

Hmm, I go up to Pittsburgh at least three times a year, but I've never been to Primanti's... Something to try I guess.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 9, 2008, 12:56 PM »
The best restaurant I've ever been to, and I get excited just thinking about it, is Millennium in San Francisco. I've been there about three times and every time I feel as if I really don't know what food is supposed to taste like until I've tasted it at Millennium. From the drinks to the appetizers, to the entrees, to the desserts, everything is truly original, delicious and satisfying. The atmosphere is elegant but not stuffy, and the wait staff have always been happy, friendly, and helpful. And what makes this truly special to me is that the menu is completely meat, fish, poultry, dairy and egg free. Yup, that's right, no animal products whatsoever. And no, it's not a menu consisting of salads and tofu balls. Every item on the menu is a feast for the eyes and palate that any non-vegetarian would savor. And as an added bonus, though it's a restaurant offering vegan food, it's not full of damn, dirty vegans.  ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 01:25 AM »
Hmm, I go up to Pittsburgh at least three times a year, but I've never been to Primanti's... Something to try I guess.

And yet, you never call...

Primanti's is great, but you should try one of the new locations in the burbs as well as one of the original 3 in Pittsburgh.  One is downtown in Market Square near the PPG building, one is in the Strip District (John McCain ate at it yesterday or the day before), and one is on the South Side on Carson Street...  The original places have a charm the new "suburb" Primanti restaurants do not have.  They also have significantly smaller menues though.  That's why you should also check out the suburban ones...  Monroeville, Greensburg, Cranberry, Harmarville (the one nearest me I go to routinely), etc. all have one now that is a large restaurant/bar and a much fuller menu with pizza, regular sandwiches, etc. 

Basically a Primanti sandwich is a sandwich on thick white bread with fries, coleslaw, and tomatoes on it....  all on one big sandwich.  Now, personally I hate slaw and tomatoes, so I get basically just a sandwich with fries on it, which they'll do, but you really haven't had the primanti experience then. 

If you're into BBQ, try Buffalo Blues in Pittsburgh's Shadyside...  it's a trendy/youthful area near Oakland/colleges.  Buffalo Blues rocks and is where I gained too much weight in the last 5 years. 

Best Japanese Steak House in town is Nakama on the SOuth Side and that's become a yearly tradition for me to take my gf there for Valentine's.  We ate at Evgani Malkin's table the year before last, so basically we sat with him and his interpreter family the whole time.  Pretty neat.  Great Sushi and great food in general...  Pricey kinda, but not too bad.  There's a ton of those types of places that have cropped up in the last 5 years, and every area has one, but the Nakama is outstanding and surpasses the rest.

If you're looking for super elegant...  Pittsburgh Rare in the Sheraton Inn Station Square is outstanding, The LaMonte on Mt. Washington is Oprah Winfrey's favorite restaurant (supposedly) and is insanely expensive (I only ever ate there with my family's lawyers), and also in Station Square is the historic Grand Concourse...  The GC is on historic Smithfield Street just off the Smithfield street Bridge (a very old bridge), and it was the old Train Concourse in Pittsburgh so it's a really interesting building.  There's in and outdoor seating, and a bay window seating area that's very romantic and looks at downtown Pittsburgh from the other side of the Monongehela River (but down near the point where all 3 rivers converge). 

I've eaten at all the above and find them fantastic.  There's an Irish place on Carson St. in the South Side I can't recall the name of, but it's my favorite Irish place...  There's a fantastic Steak place too I hear on the SS called the Pittsburgh Steak Co., however I've yet to eat there.  I hear great things about it too though.  For bars, you cannot beat the South Side.  It's nothing but a maze of small hole-in-the-wall type places, clubs, restaurants and more.  Loads of people go there, but there's barely any parking and it's all on the street.  It's an old community and something neat to see though, especially if you're from cities out west where the old tight/confined city streets situation aren't exactly like they are in older cities in the East.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 01:46 PM »
The LaMonte on Mt. Washington is Oprah Winfrey's favorite restaurant (supposedly) and is insanely expensive

Funny you should mention LaMonte, as I just ate there last spring for my cousin's college graduation. Very expensive, but very good. I'll have to try some of the other places you mentioned next time I go up there.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 02:20 PM »
If you are ever in Albany, go to Jack's Oyster House.  Its down-town, down the hill from the Capital building.  My brother is one of the chefs there.  Plus all the high-power stuffed-suit politicians and lobbyists eat there.  Nice atmosphere, but a bit on the pricey side for a town like Albany.
I am not the Stig