Author Topic: New sketchpad - 3 images.  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
New sketchpad - 3 images.
« on: June 22, 2004, 09:30 PM »
I bought a 9x6 sketchpad for keeping at my bedside, but I ended up stuffing it in my backpack for Math class and etc. These are the first 3 pages of the sketchpad, the artwork gradually gets worse as I ran out of steam - but - that I felt like the first 3 pages were worth sharing.

I put the text on the first page using photoshop - that's the only thing I did to any of the art. Other than that, it's all free-hand. Page one and three are pencil, two is a mix of sharpee and india ink - which is something I've only recently begun experimenting with. I tried to get a very subtle image of a crow in there, but it didn't quite work out the way I wanted it to.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: New sketchpad - 3 images.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 09:34 PM »
The second page... Oh yes - I also put 'the Crow' on the paper after scanning it - another Adobe addition.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 09:39 PM »
And the last page... Hopefully ya'll like these...  :-\

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 09:54 PM »
These are nice Brad. The last one is my personal favorite. You do well with mysterious subject matter. You leave a lot for the viewer to decide and that's a great approach.

Because of who I am, I'm going to tell you what I think (like that's any surprise)...

1. You're ability to blend values to create smooth transitions and mood is solid and well executed. That is your STRENGTH! You are good at it. So start doing what you are not. Do that which makes you uncomfortable. Your Crow is ragged and not rendered as well as the others, but that is good. That's taking a risk! You will learn so much more from doing what you suck at or do not know. Don't just draw to draw or limit yourself to one style or medium. Experiment and do a lot of sucky drawings in your sketch books. That's what they are for and they help you grow and improve and show you what you need to do next try out. The fact that you are moving out of your prefered method and media is a statement and I applaud you for it and for the courage to show us all something I'm sure you feel could be better. So just keep doing it and do not sell yourself short. Art school is either rich people that are not artists, people that follow norms and pump out spec filling and bland ideas and projects, people that will drop out soon, fine artists that will never make it and your type...

You are the guy that can make it and follow your artistic path because you see through all that and you aren't there for chuckles. But the one thing you have to do Brad, is take responsibility for becomming better and challenging yourself and failing to find success. You will become as good as you drive yourself to be. Take responsibility and go beyond and above and take risks and make mistakes. A's and grades are a plus, but what you learn outside the classroom is more important to finding your voice and learning. Like life Brad. School didn't teach me that pot was bad for me, I went and became a bonafide abuser of all things mind altering to escape (blah, blah, blah). When you are at the edge of life and want to let go, you need to dig deep and find a reason or voice that helps you endure and survive. Not exactly a school subject there. Maybe an after school special subject, but they always glorified the tragedy of suicide, addiction, sex issues and peer pressure. What I'm saying is, keep it up. You are going to do great things if you keep at it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 10:43 PM by Thomas Grey »
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."