Author Topic: fahrenheit 9/11  (Read 14125 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2004, 06:31 PM »
That's cool. I know you when your doing a Virex Classic, and that really wasn't it. Peace (even though there really wasn't anything to begin with...)
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2004, 07:25 PM »
The rest of it is that the "establishment" is afraid of him.  They want to keep him on the fringe in an effort to keep him from showing the American public how much they're getting screwed over.

Michael Moore does a good enough job keeping himself on the fringe.

I wouldn't pay to see this movie, but I'll watch it for free, like I did with Bowling for Columbine.

Did I ask for your opinion stalker boy?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2004, 10:10 PM »
The rest of it is that the "establishment" is afraid of him.  They want to keep him on the fringe in an effort to keep him from showing the American public how much they're getting screwed over.

Michael Moore does a good enough job keeping himself on the fringe.

I wouldn't pay to see this movie, but I'll watch it for free, like I did with Bowling for Columbine.

Did I ask for your opinion stalker boy?

You got it anyway, no charge.  Cuz this is a message board, and if you don't like me responding about what a fringe-liberal Michael Moore is, don't read it.  I don't care whether you like it or not.

And about this stalker accusation, the only time I ever asked where you worked was when you said you worked for a news outlet in the W+P debate at RS, and I inquired as to which one you worked for since you were coming across with a liberal bias.  You volunteered that you worked for a news organization, I didn't ask. I guessed you worked for CNN or MSNBC, and I betcha I'm right.  If I'm wrong set the record straight.  Because you know you lost that debate, and I'm right that you work for a left-leaning organization.  That's the only part of "where you work" that I care about - whether it was left leaning or right leaning, and not a stitch of information beyond that.  I couldn't give a flying crap about anything else about you.

Sorry everyone else, I just had to clear that up.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 10:13 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2004, 10:53 PM »
My wife & I watched it last night.  What a great film.  I'm glad that a real American like Michael Moore cared enough to make this film in order to expose Bush for what he really is.  Finally, people everywhere can see for themselves what Bush & his cronies are all about.  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2004, 11:34 PM »
Let's not go where this is headed.

If it happens, it's locked and I very well may suspend.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2004, 01:20 AM »
Interesting.  My post here was my last post before heading off on vacation.  Coming back in at this point is enlightening.  People's political biases are readily apparent, I can say that much.  

All manner of straw man argument is being fired up, to say the least.  Not a surprise, but not something that would win points in a formal debate.  

I expect my bias is present and accounted for as well, though I would like to point out that I would only have voted for Bush given the other choice was the guy that claimed to invent the internet ::) amongst other misguided and blatant lies.  

That said, I have little faith in the media, regardless of whether it is Moore, CNN or your local station.  Why?  Because they, regardless of who they are, will spin it to suit the editorial tastes (read political biases) of whomever is in charge.  Moore is honest, I'll give him points for that, but please, don't suggest that he's making good points?   What he may well be making are valid points, but are ya really certain there's no grease under Kerry's wheels either?  Clinton was squeaky clean?  Nuh, don't think so bub.  Politics has, IMO, very, very little to do with what the electorate wants.  It has everything to do with favors, cronyism and buttering your own bread.  Regardless of the side.  

Everything is spun, regardless of the side it is coming from.  You can be damn sure that the Bush spin machine is on a roll and you know maybe 20% of what is going on.  That is precisely no different from what happened during the Clinton administration nor will it be any different from the next administration, regardless of what political stripe they are wearing.  

If the movie serves to open your eyes or remove some naivete, then it has served a good purpose.  Just don't believe that selective editing necessarily tells you the whole truth.  Again, I haven't seen the movie yet, so I cannot say what is good or bad about it, I just found the preview laughable when it's presented, as a shock, that congress does not read every word in a bill before voting.  Really, and this only happens now that Bush and the Reps are in control?  Please, someone have the balls to say they believe this to be true?  Didn't think anyone was that naive.  

Enjoy the movie for what it is.  But remember, there are some pretty damn good selective editors here too, but it's all done in fun.  You can C&P anyone's post to make it say what you like.

I work for a government agency.  I've seen my own writing come out enhanced, twisted and turned into an out and out lie.  The government's spin doctors did that and I have exactly zero power to say so.  I've been interviewed by print reporters as well as radio and television reporters.  I've had to phone offices asking them to print/air retractions because of where they cut and edited to make a particular slant on what I said, removing all context and any qualifications because it makes it more entertaining, exciting, eye/ear catching.  Anyone can be made a fool of.  None of what was done by the media was a lie, they just simply removed the context, thereby preventing any litigible action.  Ergo, it's not a lie, really. :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2004, 01:38 AM »
His rose-colored perspective towards Canadian medicare is downright funny as well... however his cavalier antics are amusing and I think at the core he is trying to do the right thing, and for that I respect him.

thanks Bob for reminding me.  While I may be appearing (may?) to be rather anti-Moore, I'm simply trying to present examples of why perhaps his movies should be taken with a grain of salt.  That rose-coloured perspective on Canadian healthcare (a view shared by Hillary???) is another perfect example.  

I steadfastly blame the Canadian health care system for the death of my mother and my mother in law, simply because they were not afforded the best care and all the options that should have been available to them.  My mother in law passed away due to infections picked up in the hospital, almost certainly passed along by either a nurse or doctor that didn't have/take the time to properly wash their hands.  That lack of time was simply due to underfunding resulting in a lack of staff.  Hell, we have people sleeping in beds in emergency room hallways for days thanks to shortages.  
Contrast that to my mother who passed away from cancer and was not given the drug that she believed was the key to curing her first bout with cancer.  For all intents and purposes she was not afforded the opportunity to have that drug, because she was deemed too old (66) and unlikely to survive regardless, based on statistics.  Had we had some form of user pay system as opposed to a wonderful, universal ::) >:( health care system, you better f___ing believe we would have paid for that drug for my mother.  But we were not allowed the option.  
This is not to suggest that the US health care system is better, I do not believe it to be, unless you happen to be able to afford it, as the upper middle class can.  At least that's my perception, though it may well be as flawed as Moore's views on Canadian health care.  

Regardless, the point is nothing more than don't believe everything you see, regardless of whether it suits your political biases or not.

[/rant] :-[ :-\ :'(
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 01:40 AM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2004, 02:53 PM »
The results are in!   ;D

Despite the fact that Fahrenheit 9/11 was only projected onto screens in 868 theaters across the country — almost three times less than the other nine films in the box-office top ten — Fahrenheit 9/11 easily took the #1 spot in its opening week.  Fahrenheit 9/11 also became the first documentary ever to debut at #1.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2004, 02:59 PM »
Oh yeah, in terms of numbers, Fahrenheit 9/11 made an estimated $21.8 million in ticket sales this weekend.  Not bad.

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2004, 03:02 PM »
The results are in!   ;D

Despite the fact that Fahrenheit 9/11 was only projected onto screens in 868 theaters across the country — almost three times less than the other nine films in the box-office top ten — Fahrenheit 9/11 easily took the #1 spot in its opening week.  Fahrenheit 9/11 also became the first documentary ever to debut at #1.

Thereby proving that Moore is definitely not “fringe” as some would like to believe… well, he is at least more popular than the Wayans brothers.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2004, 09:56 PM »

Thereby proving that Moore is definitely not “fringe” as some would like to believe… well, he is at least more popular than the Wayans brothers.

Well he was fringe once upon a time...Bowling for Columbine was the beginning of the end of that though - and with this one he just blew up as far as notoriety.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2004, 11:22 PM »
Roger and Me was pretty big though too, it was big enough to be out on video and for me to watch it in highschool

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2004, 10:58 AM »
Roger and Me was pretty big though too, it was big enough to be out on video and for me to watch it in highschool

Pets?  Or meat?

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2004, 11:11 AM »
I still remember that scene and a girl sitting next to me running out of the class room crying.  There was a big hubbub for like 3 days that our teacher should have told us what was coming

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile