Author Topic: fahrenheit 9/11  (Read 14119 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
fahrenheit 9/11
« on: June 25, 2004, 12:03 AM »
[/url]

click on pic to visit the website

anybody going to see this flick this weekend? i'm a huge fan of moore's films, and i'm going to try and get out this weekend to see it. should be great.

that cover art is priceless  ;D

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
Re: fahrenheit 9/11
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 12:13 AM »
I would normally pass, cause I hate to spend twelve loonies on a film devoid of any spectacular sp-fx OR Will Smith, but I figure I’ll go next weekend just so I can “debate” on another forum :-X, I’d go tomorrow but funds are low and beer is mo’ important than Moore.
 Hopefully this thread doesn’t turn “weird”- everybody play nice, we all being SW fans first ‘round ‘ere!
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 12:40 AM »
Hmm, I doubt I'll see this.  

Unlike Dave, I am not a fan of Mr. Moore.  Bowling for Columbine was interesting enough, but he's full of crap with respect to what would really happen to him if he walked into someone's house in Toronto.  I imagine to get the three or four respectable responses he got, he needed a couple of hundred takes and more than a few hasty steps.  No, there were no handguns to be seen, but he probable walked into more than one shotgun barrel or baseball bat.  Yeah, we have gun control, for the regular citizens.  But that's a whole different issue.  

Having seen the previews, there's not much to draw me in.  Yeah, I think Bush is living his own personal Vietnam out right now, but I disagree that everything bad that has happened as represented (at least in the previews) in this film could come to pass in  just 10 months.  The preceding administration must bear some of the responsibility.  

I'm also not a fan of the cut and paste type of media spin that he loves so much (as evidenced by the cover, albeit funny).  Editing can make anything look the way you want it to, which may be a horribly biased misinterpretation of reality.  

In the words of the governor of Minnesota - the media don't report the news, they make the news.  Jesse may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but truer words were never spoken.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 01:04 AM »

I'm definatley going to pass on seeing this movie.  I would wheather see a good ficitionalized story about killer tomatoes then this ficitionalized crap which he calls a documentry.  Anything that he says has to be taken with doubt since he was proven to have implesh stuff and edit stuff together to shape it to help his narrow view on what went on with the Cloumbine shootings, (Bank where you can get a gun that same day and C.H. NRA speech which was shown in the movie as one event but was actually two seperate speechs).  With these actions that he made for that movie I wonder what he directoral changes he made to the stuff you will see in this film.  

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 01:05 AM »
he's full of crap with respect to what would really happen to him if he walked into someone's house in Toronto.

BWA HA! Yah, I’m with you on that, having lived there I would certainly not leave my door unlocked at night… then again, I was shacked up in Parkdale :o. His rose-colored perspective towards Canadian medicare is downright funny as well... however his cavalier antics are amusing and I think at the core he is trying to do the right thing, and for that I respect him.

I disagree that everything bad that has happened as represented (at least in the previews) in this film could come to pass in  just 10 months.  The preceding administration must bear some of the responsibility.  

Too true, things this complicated are seldom black or white.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

SilverZ

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 02:25 AM »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 08:53 AM »
wow, i didn't realize so many people hated michael moore  ???

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 10:37 AM »
I'll probably see it eventually. However, I have a problem with how this movie is being portrayed as the end-all "fair and balanced" truth. It was written, produced and directed by self-admitted left-leaning persons and is totally supported (it seems) by the Democratic Party. I find it hard to believe that it's not just a little skewed to the left. Furthermore, though I am absolutely no fan of the current administration, I fear that many undecided voters will see this film, take it as the whole, absolute truth, and let that information rule their votes in the upcoming election. And that all sounds just a little "undemocratic."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 11:52 AM »
wow, i didn't realize so many people hated michael moore  ???

Without turning this thread nasty - it's gotten downright tiresome.  They can't catch him in a lie, yet they call him a liar all day long... or, even better, just resort to fat jokes.  They accuse him of creative editing like it's something new and of him making fake documentaries.  Even Moore himself (if you saw the Daily Show yesterday?) says that his movies are not unbalanced and not 'fair' - that he's got a point of view, and he is going to show it to you.  He says there is a certain portion of his film that is irrefutable fact, and a portion that is his opinion.  He's even referred to the movie as an op-ed piece.  

You don't have to agree with him, but when all you do to try to debunk his movie is to call him fat or a liar - you lessen your position considerably.  He's got an enormous ******* team to prevent errors and head-off any accusations of lying... Usually the people who don't like him, are the ones who read the Newsmax article and took them at their word - even though places like those are often the ones under attack, and thus are only fighting back.

Whatever though.  I'll (assuming I can get tickets) be seeing it tonight at 10:30.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 12:03 PM »
I've seen Roger and Me a couple of times but that's about it, I really liked that one but just have never gotten around to see the rest of his stuff.  Wanted to see Columbine just haven't yet...

I'll probably check this out too sometime down the line

And thanks for keeping this discussion civil ;)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 03:26 PM »
I may see F9/11, it'll be the first Moore movie I see, if I do go.

SilverZ

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 03:39 PM »
It looks like my picture may have been taken as a cheap jab at Moore. The picture is the cover of a book that parodies Moore’s book title “Stupid White Men” and counters the presentation of several Moore documentaries, starting with “Roger and Me”.

My issue with Moore is in his presentation. There is a difference between presenting truths and manipulating truths to create the perception of a story to support your views.

I could easily craft a movie about how the United States manipulated metal industries into creating an economic crunch upon Japan and brought them into making a desperate preemptive strike to defend their economic health by hitting Pearl Harbor. That would be using a minor side-event to offer a completely contrary perspective on world events, without ever telling a single lie.

While I think he’s a master at doing what he does, I don’t, personally, find his attempts ethically prudent nor do I need a sledgehammer upside-the-head delivery of a counter-perspective to make me look at all facts on a topic.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2004, 04:07 PM »

I'm definatley going to pass on seeing this movie.  I would wheather see a good ficitionalized story about killer tomatoes then this ficitionalized crap which he calls a documentry.  

What parts of Fahrenheit 9/11 are 'fictionalized'?  I mean, you haven't even seen the movie & you are already calling it bogus.  Without cutting & pasting info from another website, please feel free to point out the lies in Moore's latest film.  

At any rate, I'm excited about seeing the movie this weekend.  Before 9/11, terrorism was a mere afterthought to Bush.  Oh well, I'm sure most people would rather listen to Dubya speak for two hours instead of seeing this film since he's proven himself to be a real honest & trustworthy guy.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 04:09 PM by Force Guy »
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2004, 06:22 PM »
I may see F9/11, it'll be the first Moore movie I see, if I do go.

Rent Bowling for Columbine first.

Its the ONLY thing produced by Moore I care to see.

Although my two democratic family members are trying to drag me to see it Tuesday.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2004, 06:52 PM »
This movie is bunk to some extent, it's a propaganda film. I'm encouraging no one to go see it.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -