Author Topic: Free Comic Book Day  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Free Comic Book Day
« on: June 25, 2004, 11:47 PM »
I have been invited to have a table at a local comic shop and do some demo art work and provide an example of local 'talent' on Free Comic Book Day. I'm pretty excited about doing it and a free comic or 2 will be nice as well.

As a collector, I am a bit distressed that this event is geared towards the specialty shops. I think if they opened it to larger retail venues, it would reach more people. Comics have left out the large audience that is comprised of children and many do not even know these shops exist and finding comics in any retail store is rare. The comic industry would serve itself well if they broadened the scope of where they make the free comics available. But, who am I to question an industry that still has not fully recovered from being near or at bankrupt a few short years ago.

I am a proponent of Free Comic Book Day, but the audience that will actually know about it is much smaller than it ultimately could be. They should have small spots during the preview segments prior to Spiderman 2. Anyway, I know about it and will be as involved as I can. I just hope the same can be said for others...
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."