Author Topic: Liquor  (Read 2942 times)

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Liquor
« on: June 28, 2004, 11:13 AM »
Me and my wife have been drinking a lot of gin lately in our Gin and Tonics but are looking for something new to try anyone have some recommendations?

I prefer flavor to anything but my wife tends to like to hide the alcohol so that she can't taste stuff

I've tried some whisky and its OK.  Scotch too, I think I could get into to Scotch but there is no way my wife could
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Logray2776

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Liquor
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 11:53 AM »
you should try yeagermeister with a splash of 100proof rumplemintz. A nice minty fresh drink, and smooth as well. ;D

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 11:55 AM »
Yeah I bet that's real smooth!  Rumplemintz reminds me of my Junior year of high school prom for some reason
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 04:56 PM »
you should try yeagermeister with a splash of 100proof rumplemintz. A nice minty fresh drink, and smooth as well. ;D

*Jaegermeister

Try Jack & Coke. Or Bacardi Limon & lemonade. Good summer drinks. :D
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 07:33 PM »
really, it all depends on whether or not you want to buy something pre-made, or make it yourself. for pre-made, mike's hard lemonade is a good summertime drink, as are most of the jack daniels pre-made bottles (although they are a little small). not to mention the thousand other hard lemonades/ice teas/fruit drinks out there. i sometimes buy a bottle of some premade pina coladas, long island ice teas, or mudslides that are pretty good.

if you want to mix something up yourself, there's tons of options. one of my personal favs is a drink called "43" - it's kind of a caramel tasting liquor. mix that about 50/50 with some 7up or sprite, and you have something vaguely reminiscent of cream soda. there's always rum and coke, and now i've seen rum come in all kinds of flavors. my personal fav right now is bacardi vanilla. great stuff. there are also tons of flavored vodkas - my buddy and i just drank a bottle of watermelon over the weekend. we took some sour apple hi-c fruit juice pouches and froze them - well, they didn't really freeze, they just got kinda slushy - and then poured them in a glass and topped it off with watermelon vodka. sounds nasty, but tastes great  ;D

then there's also beers - but that's a whole other subject  :D

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 10:08 PM »
Recommendations?  Absinthe.   :)
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 10:28 PM »
Sounds like your wife likes simple stuff, perhaps a bit sweet.  Try dark or amber rum for her, with either coke, 7-up or gingerale.  White rum is too blah, especially if you go with a cheaper variety.  You could always try a flavoured vodka with tonic, or just spring for a nicer bottle, Greyhound or something to that effect.

If you're looking to drift into Scotch, maybe try a rusty nail to start.  1/2 Drambuie and 1/2 Scotch makes a nice lead into the harder edge that straight Scotch provides.  I still really enjoy drinking them, in spite of being a Scotch fan as well.  With Scotch, pay the price for something nice.  You'll either end up in the highland or the islay camp.  The islay is much smokier and peatier, not my taste.  The Highland varieties are a fair bit smoother, more heather, less smoke.  Cardhu is nice but at the high end, Glenlivet, depending on age, can be nice and cheaper (less expensive).  Best to find a bar/pub/restaurant to try a few out before springing for a bottle.  Surprisingly, I prefer a blended Scotch in my rusty nails, Johnny Walker black.  It gives it a nice distinctive taste and doesn't seem like such a waste as pouring in a single malt.  

Don't just mix whiskey with coke, do try gingerale, soda and 7-up/sprite, the difference can be quite nice.  I think Scott (OCB) would suggest a nice Canadian Rye whiskey, but go with whatever you find tastes good.  I've never been much of a fan of whiskey, but that's mostly a grade 11 story anyway ;)

Dave's suggestion of a Long Island Iced Tea is something that should appeal to your wife a fair bit, the taste is well hidden.  A substantial difference between Canada and the US is our restrictive liquor laws and prohibitive alcohol prices.  I can make drinks that could kill you without you knowing it, as opposed to the more blunt US approach, though I will say Americans tend to have a bit more staying power with hard liquor and seem to appreciate the taste more in many cases.  

Coolers should also appeal to your wife a fair bit, though again, Dave said so first.  

cheers.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 10:44 PM »
Liquor? I hardly know her! hahaha a classic...  :P

If you're looking for a nice smooth beverage, try a bourbon, Booker's in particular. A little on the pricey side, but it has a nice kick in it to make it worth the price.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 02:36 PM »
If you got some $$$ spend it on a really nice bottle of Bourbon, can't beat expensive Liquor, kind of one of those things you need to spend money on

I myself have been thinking about trying some Scotch.  My brother has a bottle of Ginlivet that we've been drinking off of for a while...might soring for a Highland for his bar and share the wealth

Brent sends me some really good Crown Royal Ultra Super Premium from Canada...that stuff is great :)  But maybe next time I should have him pick me out a bottle of Scotch instead ;)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 02:43 PM »
then there's also beers - but that's a whole other subject  :D

Indeed. Burp, sorry. Tarbender...  ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 02:53 PM »
Recommendations?  Absinthe.   :)
Since seeing Moulin Rouge I've been intrigued by this

Found a pretty neat site about Absinthe too

http://www.feeverte.net/

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 05:41 PM »
Your wife should try Pink Lemonades (citrus vodka, triple sec, lime juice, sour mix, cranberry juice) or a Purple Passion (vodka, grape fruit juice, grape juice, sugar).

You might dig a black russian (or white russian, depending on your preference), or a Long Island Iced Tea.

The switch from Gin to vodka is a smoother transition than say, switching to malt cordials like scotch or bourbon. You're going from clear to clear. Does that matter, really? Well, some people get stomache irritations if they've been drinking the same thing for a long time and then switch to something drastically different.

As with anything, enjoy your libations in moderation...

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 06:53 PM »
Try Mojitos.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 06:54 PM by LandotheScoundrel »
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 09:51 PM »
Try Mojitos.  ;)

I'll vouch for these, excellent for the Summer!
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini