Author Topic: Howard Stern Back in Many Markets Including MINE in Pittsburgh!  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Clear Station channel 105.9 WXDX, you can kiss my hairy white ass.  I've officially taken them off my car's dial and now K-Rock, the Rock of Pittsburgh, 93.7 is on (well, it was before as the old Top 40 station it was beforehand).

93.7 is now a new station and Stern's on in Pittsburgh again finally, after I've dealt without the only radio show I ever really listened to.  Thank God because my commute(s) have sucked bigtime without Stern on.

105.9 dumped Stern under the whole FCC fallout BS, like other Clearchannel Stations, and I'm happy to hear he's back, as you can tell.

"The X" as it's called, probably won't be off my dial actually...   ;D  Just not as frequently stopped by on my flipping when it's not morning time.

Score one for Stern, and for me having something I enjoy back even if some schmucks out there don't want me to have something I enjoy on my drive to school in the mornings.

I for one am happy as a clam.

Plus, this station comes in loud and clear every day no matter where I am...  even out here in BFE where some stations lose some clarity because of all the hills between here and the city.

My happiness is 2-fold as well...

I got to watch the FINAL show from B94's morning show "John, Dave, Bubba, and Shelly".  4 of the most overly obnoxious DJ's in Pittsburgh...  Overprivilaged snots who talk about the most obnoxious topics and none of which has a good personality or opinion.  

They were literally crying...  I suppose if I lost a job I'd had for 9 years I'd maybe cry too, but I despise these people's obnoxious persnalities so much I can only wish them luck in another city a hell of a long way from here.

Vindication today for me!  I have been avenged on 2 fronts!  Viva La Jesse!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

Re: Howard Stern Back in Many Markets Including MINE in Pittsburgh!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 06:15 PM »
Glad you guys got him back. I missed his press conference (on the west coast replay) by about 10 minutes. From all accounts Stern was exceptionably eloquent in his statement. I wish I had heard it. Did you hear it?

The FCC is one of the most outdated government entities still functioning. It's mishandled the HDTV rollout in the US for over 5 years and instead focuses on placating minority opinions to silence artistic expression. (And yes, I believe fart and queef jokes to be considered such). It’s thrilling to see companies taking a stand and sending a message that he’s not alone on the issue. Michael Powell is an enormous tool.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 06:20 PM »
Ya know, I didn't hear it at all...  I actually was alerted to this by my buddy at his office.  Called me this afternoon because he knew I took the loss of Stern hard.

Like him or hate him, I don't care ya know?  Everyone's got an opinion, and preferences they should be allowed to express.  

I don't like Rush Limbaugh at all, so  I simply don't listen to him.  In a more local tune, I don't like Fred Honzeberger either, so I don't listen to him.

But I like Stern...  I should have the right to listen to whatever the hell I want without some A-hole telling me I can or can't because he/she deems it indescent.  

Id' never been so personally affected by sensorship in my life till Stern was taken off by Clear Channel....  It's had me agitated ever since, and I'm happy he's back to say the least.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

SilverZ

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 06:49 PM »
Exactly how I feel. I can appreciate the frustration radio personalities, who are delivering content to a known audience, are feeling. To their audience, they are committing no such “indecencies” and those that do construe that content as such must have the capacity to take steps, in a private way, to avoid that content. Meaning change the channel, you uptight parental knobs.  

Something similar, actually more vocal in a political way, happened to the industry I work in. Joe Lieberman took it upon himself to wage war on the games industry in the era of Mortal Kombat, and we got stuck with a ratings board. That was the first time I ever felt I had an opinion on something that became a political issue. Lieberman will always be on the outs with me in any national scenario because of that stance.

To have people tell you that your project, aimed squarely and carefully at a particular audience, is to have a label placed on it that effects your sales or distribution to an intended audience, is an amazingly frustrating thing. Because one person’s vocal opinion, whether it is truly the voice speaking for the community majority, can cause a ton of problems for everything you do.  

I did a game for Disney based on Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Our game, on PS1, shortly before it went gold master, got flagged as “Teen” by the ESRB for one tiny thing, right at the end of the game – Rourke (the villain) pushes Helga (the kinda-sorta villain) off an airship in a cinematic between two stages of the boss fight. Mind you, you see her get pushed over, but you don’t hear her die, you don’t see her die, it’s all implied. The same event happens in the movie. Though the movie hadn’t been rated yet, it was assumed it would be PG, and that’s what it ended up being. By direct comparison, our game was essentially PG-13. Due to one person’s random opinion, enforced as the will of everyone, for the greater good of the community, meant that we had to change the tone and intent of that event, rescript our cutscene, and add a big gaping “WTF?” to the end of the game to get our “E” rating back. If we didn’t, we’d be unable to sell into places like Walmart. Would anyone playing the game find that event offensive? Probably not. If someone did? Then it’s the parent’s responsibility to provide insight or guidance for the child who’s questioning that event. What we were doing was appropriate to the two characters as portrayed through the rest of the game, and the overall tone of the action of the game as well.

How annoying.

I guess my rant is that the FCC needs to get off their ass and find a more reasonable and less subjective way to allow self-governance of things like radio. Actually, it needs to be decommissioned entirely, since it requires revenue to exist at all. The fact that we all can’t expand our boundaries through expression due to political institutions, affected by a vocal minority, and motivated by fines, is shocking. Like Grampa Munster says, "F*** the FCC."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
I was just listening to the "new" radio station that K-Rock has in Pittsburgh now...  They replaced B 94 (93.7) which was basically pop, rap, top 40 stuff...  A very old station in Pittsburgh too I believe.

I know my gf's kids are freaking over its loss (they're on vacationo and still haven't been home to hear the new station).

The new one, which is The Rock of Pittsburgh 93.7 K-ROC or whatever, plays classic rock, but then evanescence was mixed in there and the latest Beastie Boys song...

Go figure.  It's mostly classic rock though, like Skynard, Stones, etc...  That makes for 3 stations now that play the same stuff.  K-Rock, 96.9, and 102.5 DVE which is the leader for this kinda music in Pittsburgh.

I thinkt hey should've opened an altenative music station to combat the station that USED to carry Stern directly.  Kick them in the ding-ding so to speak.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Minneapolis must be the only market in the US that Stern bombed in, his show was on for like 4-5 months and then was dropped because the ratings and revenues were horrible.  There is a local morning show on the Classic Rock station (KQRS) that does some unbelievable ratings...stuff that isn't duplicated anywhere else in the country.  Stern came in saying he was gonna kick Tommy B's ass and it never happened.  And I think they've been reluctant to try it again ever since.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Stern has gotten tired, old and bitter.  I know, I've been listening to him since the late 80's, when he was actually funny.  I got tired of listening to him kvetch about how tough his life is.  I stopped listening to him because of that.  I fully support the guy standing up to the FCC....someone has to.  But I just don't enjoy listening to him anymore.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2004, 12:48 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback